Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #16
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
This is awesome, if only for the fact that they are continuing to update it.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:24 AM   #17
JayLaFunk
Connoisseur
JayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
I find it very good...

Transferring epubs made in calibre through iTunes (Apps) into the app (Stanza) is straight forward, if they don't show cover, open the book and when it goes to 1st page where you see your cover, tap it and a popup will appear, tap "Make Cover" and then you will see the cover in your library, had a few tweaks in settings for my best viewing, added a book in PDF format and looks good...

Good update and it's free ...
JayLaFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #18
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Everytime I save an annotation, the application crashes. Hopefully that will be fixed.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #19
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Did anyone succeed at reading a Comic Book Archive (I assume cbz or cbr) using the new Stanza ? It always crashes on me...
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is Stanza ever going to have the bugs fixed?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #21
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
Did anyone succeed at reading a Comic Book Archive (I assume cbz or cbr) using the new Stanza ? It always crashes on me...
going to try it tonight, did you test both?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #22
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
This looks great! The formatting options (margins, line spacing, paragraph spacing...) are what I've been looking for. I want to give it a try for epubs. Anyone have comments on how well the formatting works on epubs?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #23
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
<happy dance> No need to have jailbroke my iPad. I found reading with the 2.0 in "fullforce" mode "acceptable". But half way through my book (The Bourne Deception), I went to the darknet and picked up an epub so I could read it with iBooks.

With Stanza 3.0, I'll not feel the need to do that. It's still not as nice for reading as iBooks, IMHO, but it's just as good as the Kindle app....plus it has many other Stanza "goodness" features.

I wonder why they told use they WOULDN'T be supporting the iPad?

Anybody know how I can open up a pdf email attachment with Stanza?

Nonny
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #24
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
going to try it tonight, did you test both?
Yes, been there, done that, got the tee-shirt

I tried both formats (with french comics, which are a bit bigger and heavier than your american comics), and I tried syncing them with iTunes and downloading them from the web (my own webserver FWIW).

None of these four tests worked, Stanza always crashed at the moment of opening the comic. I think that maybe there is not enough memory for the big images in my (bigger) comics... and that Lexcycle only tested with small comics.

I logged a bug report with them, let's see what it evolves into.

Anyway, Comicbooklover should be available for iPad very soon, so it's a moot point...

On another hand, I just love the new Stanza ! Thank you Lexcycle !
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #25
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Maggie,
Stanza was one of the first real apps on the iPhone that supported user content with the greatest of ease. And once Calibre started supporting it with their server, it was quite easy to manage your library as well.

And of course, my personal favorite feature...customizable left and right clicks
Thanks, kjk. So is Stanza now the easiest way to read converted user content on iPad?

I loaded a bunch of Gutenberg books with Stanza last night and love many of the features, including customizing left clicking. Wonder whether it's possible to link a dictionary, so that you can look up words even when offline. I also wonder whether you can make content sync across devices. Maybe I'm too greedy, considering it's free?
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #26
neous
neous began at the beginning.

Device: none
Glad to have the night view back, however I've grown fond of the 2 pages landscape mode in ibook as it allows me to not have to hold the ipad as it rest on me.
neous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Thanks, kjk. So is Stanza now the easiest way to read converted user content on iPad?
Personally I far prefer iBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #28
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i've played with stanza a bit more. it wins with me on organizing and managing my library, and it certainly has more features. i haven't had the new version crash once. but maybe i've gotten used to ibooks, it's simply easier and i don't mind the way it looks at all. pdf's seem slower to me than goodreader, but i'm guessing it's using the built-in pdf rendering. i don't use landscape mode so that doesn't matter to me at all, nor do i really mess with margins.

ah well. hopefully the additional competition in ereaders will spur more development. may the best app win!
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #29
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I'm not sure...I'm curious how Stanza will compare with iBooks in terms of full ePub support. I'm just so familiar with Stanza over the years its great to see it in full iPad glory

And as scottj noted, the best part is the competition-the more options the better, as long as I don't run out of app space.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #30
superhero
Enthusiast
superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.superhero has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 505, B&N Nook, Sony Daily Edition, iRex Reader
I tried to upload several .CBRs into Stanza through Itunes and they would not show up on the Ipad. These were regular American comics. So this must be a bug. If anyone gets it working, please let us know. I am using Cloud Reader now which is much better since the last patch.
superhero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad, stanza