Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-15-2012, 04:25 AM   #31
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
You see, that's why I need money...
Money to get a lawyer, to defend my cause, because I understand nearly nothing of this jimbo limbo...

I'm a common man. We live in a wicked society,where a common man,can not even understand the basics of owning the rights to his own creation.

We all know the copy right infringements are getting out of hand in USA.
We're at a point where a honest person no longer can copyright something he invented, because large companies had the idea before him, and patented it or something, and therefor block progress from happening.
What's more, 2 people can not have an idea at the same time, because copyright won't allow this!
And it happens more than we think, that multiple humans end up with a same idea.
In case of a book it's much harder to come to an identical story line, but some passages could easily have been copied from another book (just with other characters,people,...) and no one will notice.
With inventing things, and software creation,there are countless of lawsuits because mr A invents something that looks very similar to MR B's invention.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #32
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update v4.4:
Nahum and 1Thes on their last chapters had '>>' as next chapter, instead of the name of the next book;that is updated in this version.
Page break at final chapter removed.

This should somewhat be the final version; I think there's not enough demand for introduction on the OT chapters, so I'll leave it with this.

Last edited by ProDigit; 04-16-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Advert
Old 04-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
We all know the copy right infringements are getting out of hand in USA.
We're at a point where a honest person no longer can copyright something he invented, because large companies had the idea before him, and patented it or something, and therefor block progress from happening.
What's more, 2 people can not have an idea at the same time, because copyright won't allow this!
You are confusing copyright and patents. They are not the same thing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #34
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You are confusing copyright and patents. They are not the same thing.
Like I said, I know nothing of legal stuff like this; and don't really feel inclined to learn about them, as I presume the benefits I get from investigating it, will not recover the time I lost into it.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:23 PM   #35
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Revisiting this thread,
For the ebook programmers out here,
Do you think it would be best to create a bible out of 2 gigantic html files,
or should I create smaller book files (eg: Genesis.html, Exodus.html....), or should I create chapter by chapter html?

The OT/NT chunks are smaller in size, than several smaller chapter HTMLs, but I don't know if ereaders have problems with it or not.
Advert
Old 12-15-2015, 05:27 AM   #36
skreutzer
Software Developer
skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I am aware of no country in which a simple statement that "this work is in the public domain" is not valid.
Germany. But a judge may interpret such a statement that the copyright holder intends to waive all rights. The law itself has no concept of putting a new work into Gemeinfreiheit initially. LaurelRusswurm also mentioned the Netherlands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelRusswurm View Post
moral rights
I don't think they're a problem at all, because a derived work would need to misrepresent the author in such an awful way that even freedom of art (1, 2) isn't enough to cover it. Moral rights without freedom of art might be a problem, but if legislation has both of them, they can be valued against each other. There are other more serious problems like trademark law or Leistungsschutzrecht (protection of the actual labor that went into the work regardless of any intellectual concerns, so there's a German company digitizing and selling Public Domain works which is threatening to take legal action against the distribution of those works based on Leistungsschutzrecht).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelRusswurm View Post
For whatever reason, governments seem to listen to lobbyists more than citizens these days.
The reason is very well known: money. You've already mentioned their lobby, which is funding election campaigns, which brings their favorite politicians to power, who then write them the laws they want. Lawrence Lessig in particular is pointing this out, as Creative Commons of course can't change the law itself, so each creator has to opt out the “all rights reserved” default individually, and “protection” (?) is lifetime + 70 instead of maybe 20 years and an optional renewal of another 10 years before it goes into Public Domain. Or something like that. Therefore Lessig today is more politically involved than messing around with copyright.

Quote:
However, all I wanted with this is for this file to remain readily available for people creating their bibles.
If I understand correctly, you're maintaining HTML files of a Bible text, and the main benefit of it is their layout/functionality? If so, would you consider to contribute your layout to our EPUB generator workflow so it can automatically be applied to other Bible texts as well? I haven't looked at your files because they're in the .rar format, so please change to .zip, or alternatively you could send me a screenshot.
skreutzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:30 AM   #37
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Depends on your target audience. In general smaller HTML files will result in snappier ePUB's, since they have to load less in memory each time. Older readers (and yes, they still exist) will choke on HTML files larger than 285kb.
Readers usually don't have much memory and top of the line CPU.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:58 PM   #38
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Depends on your target audience. In general smaller HTML files will result in snappier ePUB's, since they have to load less in memory each time. Older readers (and yes, they still exist) will choke on HTML files larger than 285kb.
Readers usually don't have much memory and top of the line CPU.
I have tested several bibles on my Sony PRS-505. From what year would you say readers are considered 'older'?

The 2008 PRS-505 did a good job with a nearly 3MB HTML file (if memory serves me correctly). The only problem it had, was it sometimes didn't follow all the html links correctly, probably a memory issue.

I'm thinking to indeed do each book separate, 66 separate html files, and use internal linking to the chapters.

Last edited by ProDigit; 12-15-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:13 AM   #39
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I have tested several bibles on my Sony PRS-505. From what year would you say readers are considered 'older'?

The 2008 PRS-505 did a good job with a nearly 3MB HTML file (if memory serves me correctly). The only problem it had, was it sometimes didn't follow all the html links correctly, probably a memory issue.

I'm thinking to indeed do each book separate, 66 separate html files, and use internal linking to the chapters.
Really, 3MB HTML file in an ePUB? That is surprising because I am quite sure that the PRS-505 has the 285kb size limit for the XHTML files in an ePUB. I know that the PRS-3xx, PRS-6xx and many readers from that period have it as well.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:54 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Really, 3MB HTML file in an ePUB? That is surprising because I am quite sure that the PRS-505 has the 285kb size limit for the XHTML files in an ePUB. I know that the PRS-3xx, PRS-6xx and many readers from that period have it as well.
It does indeed. It was THE device which exhibited this issue, in fact, due to its very small amount of RAM.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:00 AM   #41
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Then how do you explain it worked on the device?

Well, it worked 'mostly', with an occasional html not linking back to toc. All else worked just fine.

I don't know the exact size of the ot file, but the nt file was 1.8MB in size. The OT was larger, and the prs loaded it fine.
But because of your recommendations, I'll go with separate book files instead, and internal linking to chapters.
To have each chapter in its own html file is a bit much, as there are over 1000 of them.
Undoubtedly it would bring much more overhead to the device, and much longer code too (internal links pointing within the html, are shorter in code, than external links pointing to another html file in the epub)
Old 12-16-2015, 09:03 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Then how do you explain it worked on the device?
It was probably a simple parse tree that, by luck, fitted into the available RAM. As a general rule, though, the PRS series tended to choke on large component files in ePub, hence the recommendation to keep the size of HTML files within the ePub to about 260k at most.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:35 AM   #43
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Well,
To keep the epub limited to 260kb will definitely not be possible, as the file is 2 to 4 MB's large.
I think, like you said, Sony may have had a workaround on this, because any decent book with a few graphics will exceed the file size easily!
Old 12-18-2015, 01:17 AM   #44
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Well,
To keep the epub limited to 260kb will definitely not be possible, as the file is 2 to 4 MB's large.
I think, like you said, Sony may have had a workaround on this, because any decent book with a few graphics will exceed the file size easily!
You misunderstood. The ePub can be as big as it needs to be. It is the individual text (XHTML) files that need to be 260KB (Bytes not bits) or smaller. You can have as many files as you need and the images should likely be below 4 Mpixel. Calibre will break the file down to the right sizes I believe. Do an ePub to ePub conversion.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:59 AM   #45
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Oh!
I see.
My previous version of the Bible was a .lit file.
I made the HTML0 file, and let bookdesigner develop all the additional data.
Not sure how big the xhtml file was, but I had written a very clean HTML file, with as little "bull sh#t" (as I tend to call needless data) as possible.
Bookdesigner did most of the encoding work before.
Now I'll be doing it manually.

Tags
bible, developement, framework