Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-01-2008, 02:46 AM   #1
QFT
QFT began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question E-book for Reference

For the most part I need a e-reader for scientific journals and very heavy reference books. My requirements are thus: It should support PDF (djvu support would also be nice), I should be able to search multiple files at once (I have thousands of files), it should have removable memory (SDHC compatible would be nice), it should be e-ink, and if it doubled as a digital notepad I'd be ecstatic.

Does it exist?
QFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:50 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by QFT View Post
For the most part I need a e-reader for scientific journals and very heavy reference books. My requirements are thus: It should support PDF (djvu support would also be nice), I should be able to search multiple files at once (I have thousands of files), it should have removable memory (SDHC compatible would be nice), it should be e-ink, and if it doubled as a digital notepad I'd be ecstatic.

Does it exist?
The iRex DR1000S is probably your closest match. Since it's a VERY new device, however, nobody knows yet exactly what it can do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2008, 01:50 AM   #3
QFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The iRex DR1000S is probably your closest match. Since it's a VERY new device, however, nobody knows yet exactly what it can do.
I figured as much, I guess I'll wait to see pricing and specs on the plastic logic reader before I make a decision(though I think its just internal memory?). Not to mention reviews of the iRex.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:47 AM   #4
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Well a few of the members are getting the Digital reader so we should get some more indepth information soon.

You might want to post on the thread in the Iliad subforum where Adam has asked people about what the'll like him to test.

Edit - This Thread

Last edited by bbusybookworm; 10-02-2008 at 07:59 AM.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:01 AM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Today: the Iliad.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2008, 07:23 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by QFT View Post
I figured as much, I guess I'll wait to see pricing and specs on the plastic logic reader before I make a decision(though I think its just internal memory?). Not to mention reviews of the iRex.
I agree. Especially since the rumors on the PL device are that it will be around $400 (Kindle like price I think they said.) However, I sort of doubt it will be less than $600.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's always going to be something better available in 6 months. carpe diem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
QFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's always going to be something better available in 6 months. carpe diem.
I tend to defer to caveat emptor. Anyway, I'll still wait for the PL offering, if I go with the DR1000 I'll just bookmark the index of each book and use the search function/and jump page functions. Ideally I would merge all my indices into one file for searching purposes, and then proceed from there (though that is of questionable legality)
Old 10-17-2008, 10:56 PM   #9
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
iRex DR1000 is 650$-750 (you got one with (DR1000S) and one without (DR1000)stylus. The DR1000SW was $799,and has stylus + additional Wifi & bluetooth).

10.2 Inch (diagonal) electronic paper display
1024 x 1280 pixel resolution at 160 pixels per inch
16-level grey scale
Input and output Capacitive buttons with optical feedback
Mini-USB connector Wacom® penabled® touch sensor input with Stylus
Capacitive buttons with optical feedback
Mini-USB connector
Processor and memory Freescale i.MX31L processor
128MB RAM
Storage Capacity 1GB Removable SD card (replaceable with larger SD cards)
Holds over 1000 documents or pictures¹
Power Built-in rechargeable lithium ion battery
Recharging time 5 hours with USB charging from powered computer
Media formats supported Unsecured Text: Adobe® PDF, TXT, HTML
DRM Text: Mobipocket PRC
Image: JPEG, PNG, GIF, TIFF and BMP
Additional formats supported in the future

In the box:
iRex Digital Reader 1000
USB cable
Quick start guide iRex Digital Reader 1000S
Stylus
USB cable
Quick start guide

Guess is that they're working on ways to get Microsoft Excell, Powerpoint and Word to work.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote