Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
As a reading device (rather than a phone which you're not likely to hold for long periods of time) I would rather go for having a lighter device. 15 hours of reading time is more than enough for me. As for going away for a week, how are you going to charge your phone if you're not bringing a charger?
I do of course take along a charger for my phone - my wish is not to have to worry about my Kindle running out of power, not to eliminate all chargers .

For me, 15h just isn't enough for a dedicated reader. It puts it into the "need to recharge it every couple of days" category, like my iPad. I'd rather have a slightly heavier device with double the battery life. Of course, though, I appreciate that everyone's needs differ.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:01 AM   #62
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
With regard to thickness: I think companies are driving this to absurdity. I device shouldn't be 10cm thick obviously, but I dislike the trend to create devices that have a thickness of 7, 6, or even less milimeters.
I don't care about the thickness, but I care a lot about the weight. I'd much rather carry a portable battery pack away from recharge too long (or solar charger pack if away from power for a very prolonged time) than have a heavier device.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2016, 10:07 AM   #63
rstrube
rstrube is at the top of the food chain.rstrube is at the top of the food chain.rstrube is at the top of the food chain.rstrube is at the top of the food chain.rstrube is at the top of the food chain.rstrube is at the top of the food chain.rstrube is at the top of the food chain.rstrube is at the top of the food chain.rstrube is at the top of the food chain.rstrube is at the top of the food chain.rstrube is at the top of the food chain.

Device: Aura ONE, Kindle PW3
I've been using my Aura ONE over the past several days and the battery performance has been great.

I came from a PW3, which has amazing battery life, and was used to not really worrying about the battery. I'm pleased to report a similar scenario with the Aura ONE.

I typically read about an hour before going to sleep. Brightness @ 5%, Full "Red Light" mode. I put the device to sleep and in the morning the battery is ~ 95%.

I'd be happy to conduct a more definitive test if desired.
rstrube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:09 AM   #64
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I do of course take along a charger for my phone - my wish is not to have to worry about my Kindle running out of power, not to eliminate all chargers .

For me, 15h just isn't enough for a dedicated reader. It puts it into the "need to recharge it every couple of days" category, like my iPad. I'd rather have a slightly heavier device with double the battery life. Of course, though, I appreciate that everyone's needs differ.
I think unless you read 24/7, you won't need to charge it every couple of days.

But if I do have one problem, it's the fact that it uses MicroUSB instead of USB-C... I always have trouble putting the cable in, always having to turn it over at least 3 times
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:11 AM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrube View Post
I typically read about an hour before going to sleep. Brightness @ 5%, Full "Red Light" mode. I put the device to sleep and in the morning the battery is ~ 95%.

5% battery drain in an hour would be a drained battery in 20h, so that's not too far off the figure that Kobo quote, particularly given that you're using the light at a very low setting.
Advert
Old 09-12-2016, 11:21 AM   #66
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For me, 15h just isn't enough for a dedicated reader. It puts it into the "need to recharge it every couple of days" category, like my iPad.
I wish I had your problem. To be able to read 7+ hours a day would be glorious! But with work (self employed and busy), and two small kids, I'm lucky if I get one hour at bedtime before I pass out!
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:22 AM   #67
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I think unless you read 24/7, you won't need to charge it every couple of days.

But if I do have one problem, it's the fact that it uses MicroUSB instead of USB-C... I always have trouble putting the cable in, always having to turn it over at least 3 times
Yes, I could also wish for USB-C. Once you get used to just plugging in a cable without looking, it's hard going back!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:22 AM   #68
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
I've been using my Aura ONE over the past several days and the battery performance has been great.

I came from a PW3, which has amazing battery life, and was used to not really worrying about the battery. I'm pleased to report a similar scenario with the Aura ONE.

This sounds like my reading habits. I would be pleased with this also. I will report back once I get a chance to test it out (just go the reader today).
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:23 AM   #69
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I cheat, most of my USB cables have some mark on the micro end, I just remember which side goes up for the device. Though the one that came with my Kobo One is fairly plain so I may need to mark it myself in some way.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #70
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I admit, battery life on the ONE does concern me somewhat, so following this with interest! However, my reader goes with me everywhere, so I think I'd prefer to have to charge a little more often than to have a heavy device.

On the other hand, I truly hate getting the battery low notice on my reader! So it's hard to know how I'll feel. But I suspect the larger screen will be well worth it.

And the waterproofing seems like such a nice feature! Have a cat who drools rather copiously when happy, always worried he'll put my Aura HD out of business when reading in bed!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineStewart View Post
I wish I had your problem. To be able to read 7+ hours a day would be glorious! But with work (self employed and busy), and two small kids, I'm lucky if I get one hour at bedtime before I pass out!
Oh that's only when I'm away on holiday . When I'm at home it's more like a couple of hours a day. It's surprising how much reading you can get done, though, when you read while drinking coffee, eating lunch, etc.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #72
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Really if a device can go for as long as I can be awake, and have a charge period for less than I sleep, that's the minimum I require. Anything over that is icing on the cake, though I do like icing.

So far the One is giving me plenty of icing, though I will admit having to work and thus not read probably helps it deliver that icing.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:55 AM   #73
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
My first charge was a bit spotty, with plugging and unplugging while updating and loading the reader, and the charge lasted about 2 hours of reading.
I then plugged in and left it that way for 6 hours, and it's now behaving as expected. The battery management system, like most Li batteries, has to be calibrated by a really, really, full charge before it can indicate correctly.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:23 PM   #74
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
(rather than a phone which you're not likely to hold for long periods of time)
Obviously you haven't seen too many of the 15-25 year olds of nowadays...

Quote:
I would rather go for having a lighter device.
Meh. My tablet weighs in at 620 grams. I hold it for hours if need be. I make sort of an 'inverted tripod stand' with my thumb, index finger, and middle finger (as if you show "3" to someone, but with the thumb not extended), and then put the tablet in the web of my hand. I think I can hold it like that... forever. Or close to it.

In the case of my reader, I rest it on my little finger of my right hand, and lean it to the right into the web of the hand. I then effectively hold it by the corner that sits in the palm of my hand. I read many hours like that without problems.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #75
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Maybe you could do the "Amazon test":

Amazon turns Wifi off, and sets the light to 10 out of 24. That would be 42% on the Kobo. If you do so, and keep the device at those settings, you could keep track of how long you can read on one charge before the device starts shuts down (or until it complains about low battery power at 10-15%, and we calculate the rest).

Then you could accurately compare it to a KPW.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote