Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #736
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
Well, if they don't appear in side-loaded .kepubs but do appear in Kobo-supplied ePubs, there's probably only 3 options:

1. There's a database flag to enable the showing of statistics.
2. There's code within the book itself that enables the showing of statistics.
3. The device has a "list" of books that is supplied by Kobo that tells it which books to display stats with.

Option 3 seems unlikely, and Option 1 & 2 could probably be worked around. It's just a matter of digging to see what's going on. Makes me wish I had more time to actually do some of the digging.
Option 2 is also unlikely, since it would require them to modify and re-distribute all of their books. My current thought is that it's related to the book location; for side-loaded KePubs, the book location must start with "file://" (based on admittedly limited testing, things really don't work well at all when I try to change that) and so that makes an ideal and immutable way to detect side-loaded versus official KePub files.

Option 3 is just not feasible.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #737
norbusan
Zealot
norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, Kobo GloHD
Quote:
I have been noticing more and more problems opening .kepubs that are mid-way being read on both 2.8.1(a) and 2.9.0. I'm not sure if it's a book structure issue, .kepub plugin issue, or some odd combination of both.

On the book I'm currently reading, if I return to the home screen when I'm on "Chapter 2 - Open – Page 40 of 67", when I return to the book it freezes on a white screen which I get past by bringing up the top menu and dismissing it. It then displays the last page of the chapter and says it's "Chapter 2 - Open – Page 80 of 67"
I am seeing very similar issues, but have no idea how to fix them.

Do you used the kobo patcher for adjusting some settings like the footers etc? That was one of my first ideas, but I am not sure.

Anyone else having these issues and comments?

Norbert
norbusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #738
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Or infomation could be added to another table, such as an event of a book being downloaded from Kobo.

I will admit I've very mixed feelings about attempts to reverse engineer and re-activate the stats display for side-loaded kEpubs.
I guess it all depends to what complexity they wanted to remove stats.

It does seem odd that they're putting the effort in to make the distinction. I heard it was due to "inaccurate" stats but I know with all the ones I've read they seem to be bang on. And if they were inaccurate why just hide the display instead of just disabling them outright on non-Kobo kepubs?

It seems to be all sorts of effort into something that they have no obligation to support anyways.

That being said, I'm not going to put too much effort into it. The part I'll miss the most is the bar-graphs of chapter lengths because I actually found that really helpful when planning out reading times. The rest was just "neat."

I do recognize that it has to be tough for Kobo to be dealing with features across two separate rendering engines. I wonder if one day they'll just drop the Adobe engine and use the Access completely once it has full Adobe DRM support.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #739
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbusan View Post
I am seeing very similar issues, but have no idea how to fix them.

Do you used the kobo patcher for adjusting some settings like the footers etc? That was one of my first ideas, but I am not sure.

Anyone else having these issues and comments?

Norbert
I get the problem whether the patcher has been used or not. I went through one book with Sigil and fixed all the problems it found; I plan on replacing the current version on my reader with the new fixed one to see if it helps anything. I noticed the problem much, much more when I moved to 2.8.1. It happens with almost every single .kepub I put on, if not all of them. My three thoughts are:

1. The firmware is more sensitive to errors so if the book has poor construction it's causes problems.
2. Kobo has changed something in how it parses .kepubs and jgougen's plugin isn't making quite-compatable files (although you'd probably see the problem significantly more widespread than it seems to be if that were the case)
3. There's something borked in my database.

I might scan my database for errors tonight just to try and rule #3 out. I doubt #2 although in theory it could be possible. We'll see if a "fixed" book eliminates the problem.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #740
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I've not yet made a fully-compatible file, so you may be mostly right on #2 even if it's not all of the problem
Advert
Old 10-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #741
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
Well, I've not yet made a fully-compatible file, so you may be mostly right on #2 even if it's not all of the problem
I'm leaning towards that since in addition to the freezing while loading the book, the location seems to be way off. From what I understand, it uses the Kobo spans to specify location, so there could be something wonky going on there.

My only hesitation to saying that's the problem is that it doesn't seem to be widely reported among users of your plugin.

Hmm…

Either way I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. You have better (little breathing) things to spend your time on
Old 10-17-2013, 11:28 PM   #742
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@jgoguen: I tried copying a kepub to a name based on an UUID and placed it in the .kobo/kepub directory directly. On unplugging the device, book did not appear on the unit.

Out of curiosity I used Desktop to add a new kepub and on unplugging, no scan for new material but the book did appear.

I sense that the kepub directory is not actually scanned for material; rather the process of adding books (either via Desktop or Nickel itself) adds the books to the database and the scan process only looks for sideloaded ePubs (and of course sideloaded kepubs with the .kepub.epub name).

If so, I think this takes one down the path that DavidFor has been nervous about; updating the contents table from calibre.

One experiment that might be worth trying.
  • Dump the various sql tables for all records related to a given side-loaded kepub and then drop that book.
  • Rename the book to a UUID based name, place the file in the kepub directory
  • "edit" the exported data to reflect the new name of the file
  • import that data back into the database.

Now see if
  • the book appears in the Library view on the Kobo
  • the book gets stats
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:21 AM   #743
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I'm leaning towards that since in addition to the freezing while loading the book, the location seems to be way off. From what I understand, it uses the Kobo spans to specify location, so there could be something wonky going on there.

My only hesitation to saying that's the problem is that it doesn't seem to be widely reported among users of your plugin.

Hmm…

Either way I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. You have better (little breathing) things to spend your time on
The problem you are seeing, or a very similar one, is happening with purchased kepubs. In every case I have seen it, the book had an embedded font and the reading settings were set to "Document default". Changing the font to any included with the firmware, fixes the problem. I don't use sideloaded fonts, so I have never tested with these.

I just did a little test with the current beta firmware. I tried three books: a purchased kepub with embedded font, the epub version of this which has also has an embedded font and a known good epub that doesn't have embedded fonts. I sideloaded the epubs using the current version of the extended driver. For both the purchased and sideloaded kepub, I saw (roughly) what you are seeing. Changing the font to something other than "Document default", and there were no problems. The book with no embedded font had no problems with any font settings.

The "roughly" is because the problem has been partly fixed in the beta. When using the embedded font, opening the book took a long time to display the text. But, it does get displayed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #744
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The problem you are seeing, or a very similar one, is happening with purchased kepubs. In every case I have seen it, the book had an embedded font and the reading settings were set to "Document default". Changing the font to any included with the firmware, fixes the problem. I don't use sideloaded fonts, so I have never tested with these.

I just did a little test with the current beta firmware. I tried three books: a purchased kepub with embedded font, the epub version of this which has also has an embedded font and a known good epub that doesn't have embedded fonts. I sideloaded the epubs using the current version of the extended driver. For both the purchased and sideloaded kepub, I saw (roughly) what you are seeing. Changing the font to something other than "Document default", and there were no problems. The book with no embedded font had no problems with any font settings.

The "roughly" is because the problem has been partly fixed in the beta. When using the embedded font, opening the book took a long time to display the text. But, it does get displayed.
Yeah; I've heard of that, but I'm not using "Document Default" and the books have no embedded fonts...
Old 10-18-2013, 01:30 AM   #745
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky

So I was playing around tonight to see if I could narrow down what the problem is, and I'm becoming more and more convinced it has to do with how span tags are added. In particular, when looking at a few of the books I have on my device compared to ones that I have problems, there seems to be a difference in how the Kobo spans are sequenced.

Specifically, the books I have problems with tend to have Kobo span numbers skipping values. For example, I'll have 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, 6.4 in a <p></p> block, then the next <p> block starts with a kobo span numbered 9.1. I'm not sure where the missing spans are going (perhaps blank paragraphs or something) but that seems to be one of the few differences I can pick out between books working correctly vs. not. I'm not sure how "normal" span numbering is in .kepubs, but if the spans are as critical as I've gotten the impression they are while watching the development, is it possible that this could be the issue? Or is it fine if certain span numbers are skipped?

If it is indeed an issue, I'd be more than happy to open an official bug.

EDIT: So, silly me. I started to wonder if there could be other problems, so I went looking through the instructions for the plugin. Did the location required for the reference.kepub.epub change at some point, because I had it in a KoboTouchExtended folder inside Calibre's plugin folder and I saw in the instructions that it was to be in the root of the plugin folder. I feel almost certain it wasn't like that at some point in the past...either way, I moved it into the root plugin folder and now it works like a charm. Now I sure feel silly!

Last edited by buffaloseven; 10-18-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:22 AM   #746
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah; I've heard of that, but I'm not using "Document Default" and the books have no embedded fonts...
What font are you using? I did see something different with Gothic and Ryumin but it might be part of the test case rather than a real difference.
Quote:
So I was playing around tonight to see if I could narrow down what the problem is, and I'm becoming more and more convinced it has to do with how span tags are added. In particular, when looking at a few of the books I have on my device compared to ones that I have problems, there seems to be a difference in how the Kobo spans are sequenced.

Specifically, the books I have problems with tend to have Kobo span numbers skipping values. For example, I'll have 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, 6.4 in a <p></p> block, then the next <p> block starts with a kobo span numbered 9.1. I'm not sure where the missing spans are going (perhaps blank paragraphs or something) but that seems to be one of the few differences I can pick out between books working correctly vs. not. I'm not sure how "normal" span numbering is in .kepubs, but if the spans are as critical as I've gotten the impression they are while watching the development, is it possible that this could be the issue? Or is it fine if certain span numbers are skipped?
From memory, the first purchased kepub I looked at only had odd numbers in the spans. I remember wondering why, but can't think of a reason it would affect things. I think it was just that someone messed up a loop counter and incremented it twice.

Is there any chance of seeing the books? I can see if they behave the same on the beta firmware. And I think would manually fix the span count just to see what happens.

One thing I did just see when comparing a DRM free purchased kepub and a sideloaded kepub is where the space is between sentences and spans. For the purchased kepub, the space after the full stop is inside the span. For the sideloaded, it is between the spans. The examples are:
Code:
Purchased: tomb. </span><span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.3.2">He awoke
Sideloaded: indifferently.</span> <span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.8.2">“It would
The only way I could see that affecting things is if the space happened to be the place that was needed to be stored as the reading position. That might break something, but I would expect the book to open to the start of the chapter.

The other problem it could cause is with highlighting. If it starts or ends on the space, that could cause a problem.

Last edited by davidfor; 10-18-2013 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Later edit by buffaloseven nullified a lot of this. Must no let work interfere with MR.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:04 AM   #747
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What font are you using? I did see something different with Gothic and Ryumin but it might be part of the test case rather than a real difference.

From memory, the first purchased kepub I looked at only had odd numbers in the spans. I remember wondering why, but can't think of a reason it would affect things. I think it was just that someone messed up a loop counter and incremented it twice.

Is there any chance of seeing the books? I can see if they behave the same on the beta firmware. And I think would manually fix the span count just to see what happens.

One thing I did just see when comparing a DRM free purchased kepub and a sideloaded kepub is where the space is between sentences and spans. For the purchased kepub, the space after the full stop is inside the span. For the sideloaded, it is between the spans. The examples are:
Code:
Purchased: tomb. </span><span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.3.2">He awoke
Sideloaded: indifferently.</span> <span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.8.2">“It would
The only way I could see that affecting things is if the space happened to be the place that was needed to be stored as the reading position. That might break something, but I would expect the book to open to the start of the chapter.

The other problem it could cause is with highlighting. If it starts or ends on the space, that could cause a problem.
Haha, sorry about the late edit; felt a bit silly missing something so simple. The span/space issue could be realistic; in some books when I highlight a block of text, when I'm done there will sometimes be a single space that is not highlighted in the middle of the text; seems likely that it's connected to this issue.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:02 AM   #748
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Haha, sorry about the late edit; felt a bit silly missing something so simple.
Perfectly alright. I'd prefer to see the correction than bad info posted.
Quote:
The span/space issue could be realistic; in some books when I highlight a block of text, when I'm done there will sometimes be a single space that is not highlighted in the middle of the text; seems likely that it's connected to this issue.
I hadn't thought of that. A quick test shows that you are right. The space between the sentences is not highlighted.

The case I was thinking of was starting or finishing the highlight on the space. Testing just now and it would select the text, but didn't save the highlight.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #749
nicolacdnll
nicolacdnll began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I just uploaded my Kobo glo to the 2.8.1 and Calibre to the 1.8 (I do not remember the order probably in parallel) and now I can not update the plugin.
This message is displayed:
Quote:
calibre, version 1.8.0
ERROR: Plug-in installation failed: A problem occurred while installing this plug-in. This plug-in will now be uninstalled. Please post the error message from the details below into the forum thread for this plug-in and restart Calibre.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\plugin_updater.py", line 677, in _install_clicked
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 375, in add_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 53, in load_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 167, in load
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 150, in load_module
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.__init__", line 7, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED
Moreover Calibre gives me the below message, which I think (correct me if I'm wrong) should be solved with the plugin's update:
Quote:
Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Device database version: 89.
Device firmware version: (2, 8, 1)

Last edited by nicolacdnll; 10-27-2013 at 03:09 PM.
nicolacdnll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #750
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Delete the plugin and reinstall. It won't affect your books or settings, those are stored separately.

What version of calibre and the extended plugin did you start at before upgrading?

Tags
error, kobo aura one