Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
guspasho
Connoisseur
guspasho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Touch to PW upgrade; was it worth it?

I have a Kindle Touch now, and I'm not quite there on the Paperwhite yet. It's also sold out so it'll be a while before I can truly make a decision. But for those of you who upgraded from a Touch to a PW, are you glad you did? Was it worth the cost to get the added features, even if the light is a little splotchy?

Also, is the splotchy light noticable at the lowest settings when the light would most likely be used (ie in darkness)?
guspasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Since you don't seem to be in any rush, I would wait awhile longer, at least until the first software update arrives (and ideally, wait until Kindle Touch gets an update so you know how software features will compare). This will also allow more time for production issues to get worked out, increasing the likelihood that you'll get a 'good' one. Then order one, try it out, and return if it doesn't meet your expectations.

In terms of software, Paperwhite is very similar to Kindle Touch, and I expect that KT will get even more similar when it gets an expected update (to add Whispersync for Voice to the audible app, to add fixed-layout KF8 support, maybe 'fix' the line spacing kf8 bug, and possibly add some of the Paperwhite UI refinements). But for now, this is what is new:
- home screen is redesigned, with optional Cover View, and easier access to Cloud (Archived Items). The latter now has 'Recent' sort option.
- reading options include 'x minutes left in chapter'/'x minutes left in book' status, and more logical grouping of options at the top of the screen where you tap to bring up menus and options. There are 6 typefaces instead of just 3 in the case of Kindle Touch.
- Parental controls have been added
- line spacing seems the same with both kf8 and mobi. Paperwhite supports all of KF8 (except for embedded video/audio, obviously)
- they have removed the 'chapter navigation' swipe gesture (still works for article navigation in periodicals)
- they have buried the wireless toggle in the Settings menu, annoying if you like to manage your Kindle's power consumption closely

Hardware:
- the screen, obviously. higher resolution, built in light. There are 'shadows' at the bottom of the screen where the LEDs are but I barely notice them. It's really gorgeous in well lit environments (yes, with the light turned up). In poorly lit environments, most people will find it better than using a reading light. For me, it is better than KT about 85% of the time, and 15% where it is slightly worse due to some off-white color that creeps in when light is iffy (on the PW I have right now). In complete darkness, I prefer PW as I turn the screen light to at most '2' and don't see colors then. YMWV.
- capacitative touch. more responsive, does not have the thick dust-and-hair-and-crumb catching bezel found on KT, slightly thinner overall, can be operated in zip-lock bag for beach and bathtub protection.
- they are advertising improved battery time though as always that depends on your usage patterns. I leave wireless on all the time and it doesn't seem to go as long as my KT does with similar usage (both are 3G models).
- no Home button. Takes 2 taps to get Home. But maybe that makes it more 'immersive' (ahem).
- no speakers, no TTS, no MP3/audiobook player.

Overall, I like it much better, even with its negatives. But given what I paid for it ($180+tax), I can't say unequivocally it is 'worth it', considering my KT is perfectly fine. It was new, and I wanted one.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-31-2012 at 09:28 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
As soon as I got my PW, I gave my Touch away. The new owner of my Touch is happy, and I am very happy.

I notice the "splotchiness" if I actually give it thought, mostly I'm involved in the story and don't notice it at all.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
murphycc
murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
tomsem,

Where had you heard the KT would get another firmware update? I have the KT and figured there wouldn't be any more updates unless it's a security-related one.

But I would be certainly happy if more features were added to the KT through an update!
murphycc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Havent touched my touch (lol) since I got my paperwhite.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I sent my Paperwhite back and went back to my Touch.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I really disliked the touch and found it to be very unresponsive, so I would second guess what "touch" was correct (swipe/press etc). So I was a little wary of the PPW. Well, I love the PPW - works perfectly and is very responsive.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I really disliked the touch and found it to be very unresponsive, so I would second guess what "touch" was correct (swipe/press etc). So I was a little wary of the PPW. Well, I love the PPW - works perfectly and is very responsive.
I have the touch and love it. But i find occasionally that it jumps way ahead, so i try to bookmark regularly. Did you ever have that problem? If so, has it happened with the ppw?
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I have the touch and love it. But i find occasionally that it jumps way ahead, so i try to bookmark regularly. Did you ever have that problem? If so, has it happened with the ppw?
No, I can't say I've had any glitches with it at all, and it all seems a little more intuitive than the touch. But that may be because with the ppw, I perform the action and it responds immediately, whereas with the Touch, I was doing multiple actions just to get it to respond so that in the end, I was never really sure which action was the right one!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
squiggy
squiggy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Since you don't seem to be in any rush, I would wait awhile longer, at least until the first software update arrives (and ideally, wait until Kindle Touch gets an update so you know how software features will compare). This will also allow more time for production issues to get worked out, increasing the likelihood that you'll get a 'good' one. Then order one, try it out, and return if it doesn't meet your expectations.
I'm also curious if there's any word on a software update for the Touch. In the past, it's seemed Amazon has abandoned updates for discontinued Kindles pretty quickly.

I actually have been pleasantly surprised by the responsiveness and overall experience with the Touch (especially after so many lukewarm reviews), but some of the PW's new software features look appealing. Even the Kindle Keyboard received a decent update recently and has more parity than the Touch.
squiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #11
msg7086
msg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I had a KT and recently get the KPW. I'm quite satisfied with the light, and the battery is not a big problem under regular daily reading. (At least I never worried about out of battery)

I sold my KT to my classmate before KPW arrived. She's happy, and I'm happy.
msg7086 is offline   Reply With Quote