Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
Sarthak
Sarthak began at the beginning.

Device: none
Never seen one and really confused

Hi friends, I am new to this forum and new to the world of ereaders. Never seen one ad dont know how it works.
I live in Nepal and love to read english literature. I want to buy an ebook reader and searched a lot and still havent been able to make my mind. Here are the circumstances.
1) I live in Nepal and my brother is in US I am thinking of getting him buy one for me.
2) I dont have any credit cards and my brother wont be letting me use his so i wont be spending a penny on buying book from the online stores (amazon,B&N) etc so wont be needing any account
3) I can download loads of bestsellers and new books and have read a lot on my computer using Adobedigitaleditions and mobireader but want to make sure that those books which i've read in my computer can be read without any complications at all in ereader by simply connecting by USB
4) I am thinking of getting either Nook or a Kindle touch both @ $99 and cant distinguish as most books i download are on epub /pdf which goes well for Nook but in case of Kindle there is audiobook format and as i hear background music while reading as well.. So if i can convert the epub books i have into mobi without any complications and decrease in quality and then i think i can go for kindle
What do you say guys,, really need ur help
Sarthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Maybe the Sony PRS T1 might be good for your needs. It plays audio files, reads epub and also PDF. It costs a little more ($149 USD as opposed to $139 USD for the Nook and $99 USD for the Kindle). However, it may be worth it if you don't want the hassle of converting all of your epubs to mobi. Plus, Sony is an international and it may be better to deal with Sony as opposed to B&N if something goes wrong with your reader. B&N doesn't have customer service for people outside of the US.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
Sarthak

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
Maybe the Sony PRS T1 might be good for your needs. It plays audio files, reads epub and also PDF. It costs a little more ($149 USD as opposed to $139 USD for the Nook and $99 USD for the Kindle). However, it may be worth it if you don't want the hassle of converting all of your epubs to mobi. Plus, Sony is an international and it may be better to deal with Sony as opposed to B&N if something goes wrong with your reader. B&N doesn't have customer service for people outside of the US.
I dont mind converting all my epubs into mobi if that means i dont have to compromise the quality,,its like 2 min of converting for 2 weeks of reading then its totally worth it,, i want to go for kindle because it also plays audio files if i can convert all my epubs into mobi( which i dont mind at all if 1 file takes even 2 hours to convert if it doesnt affect any quality) and i want to keep the price down ,,but i am only concerned about creating an account and all the complications or hassles it may create ( can i use my kindle just as an mp3 player with plugging in to computer putting in books and read and dont bother about other things ) ???
Old 11-15-2011, 04:55 AM   #4
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
What about the Kobo Touch? It's fully compatible with Epubs and does PDF's fairly well.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:20 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarthak View Post
but i am only concerned about creating an account and all the complications or hassles it may create ( can i use my kindle just as an mp3 player with plugging in to computer putting in books and read and dont bother about other things ) ???
The low-end Kindle 4 does not play audio files. The Kindle Touch does, and is available for $99 in the 'ad-supported' version.

While I don't think it's a requirement to have an Amazon account to use the Kindle, if you just load DRM-free Mobipocket format ebooks and MP3s over USB, I'd suggest that getting an Amazon account would be useful to take advantage of the various free ebooks that are offered from time-to-time.

The out-of-copyright classics you can find here at MobileRead or at project Gutenberg.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 06:06 AM   #6
Sarthak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The low-end Kindle 4 does not play audio files. The Kindle Touch does, and is available for $99 in the 'ad-supported' version.

While I don't think it's a requirement to have an Amazon account to use the Kindle, if you just load DRM-free Mobipocket format ebooks and MP3s over USB, I'd suggest that getting an Amazon account would be useful to take advantage of the various free ebooks that are offered from time-to-time.

The out-of-copyright classics you can find here at MobileRead or at project Gutenberg.
I think i will buy ad supported version of kindle touch, but will it anyway affect in font and other ways if epub books which have been converted into mobi format to read in kindle???
and do i need to have credit card to open an amazon account????
Old 11-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarthak View Post
I think i will buy ad supported version of kindle touch, but will it anyway affect in font and other ways if epub books which have been converted into mobi format to read in kindle???
and do i need to have credit card to open an amazon account????
Any embedded fonts in the ePub ebooks will not be included in the converted Mobipocket ebook for use on a Kindle. The Kindle doesn't support embedded fonts (there is the new KF8 format Amazon have been talking about, but it's not available yet).

You do not need a credit card to have an account at Amazon.com, you only need an email address.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote