Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2016, 08:57 PM   #1
Griu
Enthusiast
Griu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One
Merriweather font

Hi,

I've been trying to use Merriweather as my reading font on my Glo HD but there's a problem.

Everything that's supposed to be regular appear as bold. All my problems disappear when I remove the Bold font file but when I see the actual bold letters on my ereader they are too far apart. I believe this is because the ereader is trying to create bold letters using the regular font as reference.

I've checked the files using font forge and I don't see anything wrong.

Has anyone had this issue before? Is there a fix?

I'll attach the files in case someone wants to take a look.

Last edited by Griu; 09-25-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Griu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:14 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
One problem is that the PANOSE weight settings in the font are incorrect. Use fontforge to change the PANOSE weight of the -Bold and -BoldItalic fonts from Book to Bold should fix it.

Edit: There is a second problem: The TTF names in the -BoldItalic font are incorrect. Use fontforge to change the Styles (subfamily) from Italic to BoldItalic should fix it.

Edit2: A more recent version of the Merriweather font, version 1.570, has both of the above faults plus a third: The family name of the -BoldItalic font is incorrect. Using fontforge to change PS Names> Family name from from "Merriweather Bold" to "Merriweather" fixes it.

Last edited by GeoffR; 09-26-2016 at 03:07 PM. Reason: version 1.570 has a third fault.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:21 PM   #3
Griu
Enthusiast
Griu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheeseGriu can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
One problem is that the PANOSE weight settings in the font are incorrect. Use fontforge to change the PANOSE weight of the -Bold and -BoldItalic fonts from Book to Bold should fix it.

(I haven't checked whether there are any other problems, but incorrect PANOSE weight will cause the problems you describe when using the KePub reader.)
Great. This worked. Thank you very much.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:11 PM   #4
Griu
Enthusiast

Here are the modified fonts in case someone wants them.

Last edited by Griu; 09-25-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:07 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Sigh... I|'m not sure this is legal. When I read the license found at https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/merriweather it has the text
Quote:
The OFL allows the licensed fonts to be used, studied, modified and redistributed freely as long as they are not sold by themselves. The fonts, including any derivative works, can be bundled, embedded, redistributed and/or sold with any software provided that any reserved names are not used by derivative works. The fonts and derivatives, however, cannot be released under any other type of license. The requirement for fonts to remain under this license does not apply to any document created using the fonts or their derivatives.
I'm not a lawyer but the name Merriweather IS copyrighted within that license
Quote:
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Sorkin Type Co (www.sorkintype.com) with Reserved Font Name 'Merriweather'

Merriweather is a trademark of Sorkin Type Co.
Nothing prevents you from modifying and uploading, just don't call it Merriweather when you do upload it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:12 PM   #6
Griu
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Sigh... I|'m not sure this is legal. When I read the license found at https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/merriweather it has the text

I'm not a lawyer but the name Merriweather IS copyrighted within that license

Nothing prevents you from modifying and uploading, just don't call it Merriweather when you do upload it.
Got it. Just trying to help. I removed the files.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:02 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griu View Post
Got it. Just trying to help. I removed the files.
All you need do to comply with the law is to change the font name.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:17 AM   #8
Griu
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All you need do to comply with the law is to change the font name.
Here's the font for whoever wants it.

I also made some changes on the italic font so it will be a little thiner and more oblique to the right.

I hope everything is okay now, legally speaking.
Attached Files
File Type: rar MerriGriu.rar (196.1 KB, 193 views)

Last edited by Griu; 10-04-2016 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:13 AM   #9
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griu View Post
Here's the font for whoever wants it.

I also made some changes on the italic font so it will be a little thiner and more oblique to the right.

I hope everything is okay now, legally speaking.
Thank you Griu. Shouldn't you add it to the Summary of modified font (a sticky thread at the top of this forum)?
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote