Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Riva3000
Calibre fan
Riva3000 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex 800SG, iPhone 3GS (shelved: iRex iLiad, KindleDX, Adam tablet)
Angry national characters (diacritics) debased in ePub (from Calibre)

I have an eBook in RTF in Czech language (with czech diacritics).
I am trying to read it on my iRex800 (with latest original firmware).
I used Calibre for format conversion to ePub and for ebook upload to device.
So far I didnt manage to produce ePub that would read right on the device.

Is this some kind of known problem with iRex800 ?

I have other Czech ebooks in ePub and they read ok on iRex.

If you care here is more detailed description of different conversion steps I tryed:

1. RTF > converting in Calibre > to ePub - diacritics unreadable

2. RTF > converting in Word > to 'simplified html' - encoding Win-1250
html > auto-converted in Calibre on import > to ZIP(ed html) - encoding changed to UTF-8
ZIP > converted in Calibre > to ePub - encoding ??
- diacritics ok in Calibre reader
- diacritics unreadable on iRex

3B. html > converted to UTF-8 in notepad - based on last post in this tread
rest the same as 2.
- diacritics ok in Calibre reader
- diacritics unreadable on iRex (same as 2.)

Can somebody help ?
Did anybody met the similar problem ?
(Is this a problem of Calibre or iRex ? or ePub ?)

(I'll try to find a way to attach the mentioned ebook files if needed.)

Last edited by Riva3000; 01-15-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Riva3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Did you try FBreader on the DR800?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Riva3000
Calibre fan

Nope. I dont really want to go into trouble of installing 3rd party apps etc.
I would really like to stay with the default firmware if possible.
Is it the only solution to my problem ?
Old 01-16-2013, 03:03 AM   #4
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riva3000 View Post
Nope. I dont really want to go into trouble of installing 3rd party apps etc.
I would really like to stay with the default firmware if possible.
That is a pity. The firmware development stopped very early, but to my mind, the third party improvements and apps that are available are of the same level of quality than official firmware and, if use use what is available,
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Digi...e_applications
the DR800 is still a very competitive e-reader.
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Riva3000
Calibre fan

Thanks for that tip. I am avare of 3rd party FW, reader and other apps, but I spent my 'tuning' urges on iPhone some years ago, when I was developing for it.(Horrible experience btw.)
With iRex I just want to pick it up and read books, if you know what I mean

Wouldn't you, or somebody know a solution to that ePub problem (that doesnt include iRex 'hacking') please?

Last edited by Riva3000; 01-16-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Maybe you could ask Kacir (-> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=5457) via pm or visitor message.
If it has anything to do with fonts or so then he is one of the best persons here to help you.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
Riva3000
Calibre fan

I kept thinking about it and I think I found the problem and solution.

I disected and compared 2 ePub files. both with same diacritics. One workin on iRex, one not.
I found that the broken one, made by Calibre..
in file stylesheet.css
sets for every style definition a: font-family: "Times New Roman";
The working ePub has most files similar but the stylesheet.css doesnt set font-family at all.

So I tryed to edit out the tags and the edited ePub now read right on the iRex.

I'll have to try it with other files/ePubs to be sure its the whole and only cause of the problem.

I don't know much about ePub standard so I cant tell if its a bug in Calibre, or bug in iRex FW, or just a different format implementation.
If somebody can tell, please eventually report a Calibre bug.

Last edited by Riva3000; 01-17-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #8
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Good you found it out and thanks for sharing!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Device: I'm an iRex man: 8x DR1000S, 4x DR800SG, 4x DR800S
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riva3000 View Post
[...] I don't know much about ePub standard so I cant tell if its a bug in Calibre, or bug in iRex FW, or just a different format implementation.
If somebody can tell, please eventually report a Calibre bug.
Most problems with ePub files are due to poor authoring (with tools and users to blame at 50-50%), so you might want to check your ePub file at http://validator.idpf.org/ to start with.

Mind you, even if it validates, setting ANY specific font as default or even fall-back for ALL possible styles is a MIGHTY STUPID idea (we can discuss that on a thread of its own), so you may want to contact the maker of that ePub anyway.
MrWarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
Riva3000
Calibre fan

@MrWarper

Thanks for advice.
Im affraid you missed my original post.
I created the ePub from RTF file using Calibre automatic conversion.
Additionaly, The conversion process there, when using custom settings, has an extensive settings, but I didnt find any that would let me disable/control the way Calibre adds the font specification in the output ePub.

Removing the font (specification ?) tag did somehow solve the problem.
But I (as software dev) can imagine how Calibre, iRex reader FW and ePub are all very compliacted systems, and I have little understanding of any of them, so Im still far from being sure what caused what and why, if you understand me.

If you have a good knowledge of any of those, you and try help me decipher the mess

Last edited by Riva3000; 04-10-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:49 AM   #11
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Well, I missed the part where you said you generated it on your own, anyway

I think you need to systematically try a number of things. First of all: is every RTF you converted using *the same Calibre settings* turned into something 'unreadable' (that is, without tweaking)? Fiddling with different settings won't help to dilucidate the question unless that's the case.

If some files convert OK and some don't (always using the same conversion options), you need to keep in mind that visually identical documents may be very different in their structures -- that applies to pretty much every format and makes conversion a really hairy issue, and it's only downhill from there.

Sure I can help you with ePub internals and formatting if needed, just drop me a line via PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
Riva3000
Calibre fan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWarper View Post
First of all: is every RTF you converted using *the same Calibre settings* turned into something 'unreadable' (that is, without tweaking)?
Answer is: Yes. Every RTF *with national characters*, converted with default Calibre settings, yields the same result - broken ePub with unreadable diacritics.
I tryed to convert several RTFs, from different sources. With the same result.

Quote:
Fiddling with different settings won't help to dilucidate the question unless that's the case.
Agreed.

That sayd, I even tryed to fiddle with some Calibre's conversion settings. None fixed the problem or made any visible change in the resulting ePubs.

Quote:
If some files convert OK and some don't (always using the same conversion options), you need to keep in mind that visually identical documents may be very different in their structures -- that applies to pretty much every format and makes conversion a really hairy issue, and it's only downhill from there.
I understand that. But I have little knowledge about RTF file format specifics to find out if all my RTFs are similar in formating / character encoding etc.
They *seem* the same

I knew couple threads that marginaly deal with RTF problem in Calibre etc, but Im recovering from nasty flu now so I'll be more active soon
Old 05-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
MrWarper
Zealot

Still under the flu?
Old 05-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
Riva3000
Calibre fan

Actually yes :[ Can't get rid of it for more then a month. Plus I just got back to work and the expected man-high pile of tasks awaited me here.
Be back soon.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #15
MrWarper
Zealot

Sorry to hear that. I changed my thread subscription to instant notification, so drop by any time and we'll go on.

Tags
800, calibre, diacritics, epub, irex