Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
davidfmu
davidfmu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Have any guys return Jetbook Color, How?

davidfmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
geronimo
Banned
geronimo doesn't feed trollsgeronimo doesn't feed trollsgeronimo doesn't feed trollsgeronimo doesn't feed trollsgeronimo doesn't feed trollsgeronimo doesn't feed trollsgeronimo doesn't feed trollsgeronimo doesn't feed trollsgeronimo doesn't feed trollsgeronimo doesn't feed trollsgeronimo doesn't feed trolls

Device: several
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfmu View Post
Valentinka seems to be the expert in that field, she also has clear recommendations what to buy next ...
geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
No I haven't and I don't intent to do so. Sure it's not perfect but what is ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:
I'm trying to do that now, I contacted Ectaco 5 days ago, still no answer.
por is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Do not wait further: contact Paypal and tell them you want to return it.
Tell them Ectaco is not answering you (this is not the first case). Paypal will contact Ectaco, which in the end will get in touch with you.

In the meanwhile, Paypal should return you the money. Sooner or later, someone at Ectaco will pop up asking you to return the device.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 05-09-2012 at 12:48 PM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-T1, M92, iPad 3, ex-JetBook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
Contact Paypal and tell them you want to return it.
Tell them Ectaco is not answering you, this is not the first case. Paypal will contact Ectaco, which in the end will get in touch with you.

Paypal will return you the money. Sooner or later, someone at Ectaco will pop up asking you to return the device.
por,

This will work if:
1) You used Paypal as the payment method,
2) No more than 45 days passed since your Paypal transaction.

If you didn't use Paypal, but maybe used American Express Credit card (or used Paypal with Amex credit card attached to it) and no more than 90 days passed since your transaction, then American Express might be able to help you, too.

Otherwise, it is practically (based on my own experience) not possible to get the RMA# from Ectaco. When you contact Ectaco and mention "RMA #" (or the words "return" or "refund") they will hang up on you right away (if by phone), or they will never reply at your email (if you do it by email). Or you will get an automatically generated email asking you to call their office at business hours. Then you call again and they will hang up on you or they will give you the option to leave a voice message, but they will never call you back. And without RMA# they will refuse the delivery of your package with JBC if you will send it back to them.

Good luck!

Last edited by Valentinka; 05-09-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Valentinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #7
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinka View Post
por,

This will work if:
1) You used Paypal as the payment method,
2) No more than 45 days passed since your Paypal transaction.

If you didn't use Paypal, but maybe used American Express Credit card (or used Paypal with Amex credit card attached to it) and no more than 90 days passed since your transaction, then American Express might be able to help you, too.

Otherwise, it is practically (based on my own experience) not possible to get the RMA# from Ectaco. When you contact Ectaco and mention "RMA #" (or the words "return" or "refund") they will hang up on you right away (if by phone), or they will never reply at your email (if you do it by email). Or you will get an automatically generated email asking you to call their office at business hours. Then you call again and they will hang up on you or they will give you the option to leave a voice message, but they will never call you back. And without RMA# they will refuse the delivery of your package with JBC if you will send it back to them.

Good luck!
They advertise that you can return it for a refund within 15 days. If I'm within that period and they blow me off I can tell them that I'm going to document the fraud on Amazon's product link in the reviews, and contact a lawyer. I actually *like* the device, but I can't use an academic eReader that has no capability to annotate a document or that lacks functional hypertext in multiple formats. WTH?
Old 11-08-2012, 01:01 AM   #8
freewheeling
Nameless Being

By way of documenting my return

I have sent the following email to their sales manager and to someone named Jeff Newcombe:

Quote:
I really like your device, but I'm afraid that as an academic I have no use for a document reader without the capability to make *TEXTUAL ANNOTATIONS*. Moreover, the hypertexting in ePub documents doesn't work so I can't click on endnotes, etc.. Much as I like the device, I simply can't use it. There are lots of other improvements that could be made, not least of which is to do some programming that runs a bit faster, but I can live without all of that. I can't live with a device that can't insert text annotations (drawings doesn't cut it) or that doesn't have functional hypertext in multiple eReader formats.

That's *essential* if you're targeting academia. Without it, the device has zero value.

I'd like an RMA number so I can return the device for a refund. Thanks.

-Scott Talkington, PhD
Research Fellow
School of Public Policy
George Mason University
I guess I'm going to have to get an iPad or something. Not ideal, but there don't seem to be any other options beyond paying through the nose for a used Kindle DX.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:51 AM   #9
Hui Neng
Ebookreader
Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Nook Simple Touch - Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
I have sent the following email to their sales manager and to someone named Jeff Newcombe:

I guess I'm going to have to get an iPad or something. Not ideal, but there don't seem to be any other options beyond paying through the nose for a used Kindle DX.
There is an alternative: PB 912 and Onyx M92. Given the fact that LCD-displays are constantly improving , I would consider a Nexus 10. Plus a superior OS.
Hui Neng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
freewheeling
Nameless Being

And here is Mr. Newcombe's reply.

It appears first that the trial period has somehow been cut in half, but I'm still easily within it:

Quote:
Thanks for your message and sorry to hear about the difficulty.

Unfortunately our department is completely separate from the returns
department, all RMA requests must be made directly to our NY office for
consideration. Please call 1-718-728-3605 (10 AM - 5 PM EST) to have your
RMA request evaluated.

Here are the exact details of the return process:

All returns are to be made within 7 days of delivery, and are subject to a
6.5% restocking fee and deduction of original shipping cost. The goods are
shipped by the customer at their expense.

A Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number must be obtained from Ectaco
Inc. prior to the return of any merchandise.

For RMA numbers please call 718-728-3605.

All returns must be shipped to:

Ectaco Corporate Center

RMA # XXXXXXX (given by representative)
31-21 31st Street,
Long Island City, NY, 11106

Packages without an RMA number will not be accepted.

New York State Law apply

If you change your mind and decide to keep the order, please contact me, and
I will be able to offer you any downloadable LingvoSoft software for free.

Just take a look at any of the software in the link below, make your pick,
and we'll give it to you absolutely FREE:

http://www.ectaco.com/Software-for-t...and-education/

Looking forward to your reply.
I don't know what the software is, but unless it allows me to make annotations there's not much point.

[Update: Actually, now that I think about it the 7 days probably refers to the time from when the RMA is ordered. The trial period is still 15 days, but it's pretty darn short considering how complicated the item is. Unless you have kind of an absolute requirement like mine it could easily take much longer than 15 days to decide.]

Last edited by freewheeling; 11-08-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #11
freewheeling
Nameless Being

I returned the following message to Jeff Newcombe:

Quote:
Well, unless the software addresses the problem of making annotations it doesn't really change the situation. The thing is you almost have it. If leaving bookmarks allowed a longer "name" (say up to 250 characters) or a short name plus a note, that would work. But I can't afford to wait for you to develop that because the trial period is only 15 days. At any rate I'll contact your returns department today and arrange for the RMA.
I then called the number he gave me (1-718-728-3605) and spoke to someone named Abe Kahn at Technical Support and explained the problem. He then sent me an email with the following message:

Quote:
Dear Scott,

Thank you for contacting ECTACO Inc.

I regret to hear about difficulties with Jetbook Color Model purchase.

If you have any questions about using it please feel free to ask, in fact over 90% of return requests are resolved with just a little technical assistance.

If, instead, you decide on a return or exchange please follow this link to request a return: http://www.ectaco.com/rma

If you have any questions at all please feel free to ask!
Other than promising to develop the capability to insert annotations and save them, possibly connected with the bookmarking facility, I don't know what they could do. And with their short trial period, reputation on returns, and giving me something of a runaround I don't see accepting that unless they paid me some kind of fee for helping in their development process. So I submitted the RMA request online with the following reason, reflecting earlier communications:

Quote:
Unless the software allows making text annotations in all formats I can't really use it. The thing is you almost have it. If leaving bookmarks allowed a longer "name" (say up to 250 characters) or a short name plus a note, that would work. But I can't afford to wait for development.
So I'm helping them with their development, I guess. Anyway, I got an email with the following response to the RMA Request:

Quote:
We have received your request for an RMA number and one of our representatives will be contacting you via eMail within 24 business hours. Please make sure to add our domain to your 'safe-sender list' and check your junk mail box to ensure our messages are not missed.
So, we'll see.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #12
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui Neng View Post
There is an alternative: PB 912 and Onyx M92. Given the fact that LCD-displays are constantly improving , I would consider a Nexus 10. Plus a superior OS.

It looks like the Onyx is sold in the UK, but not clear if it's available in the US? Also, the ads say that you can write handwritten annotations in PDFs, but the JBC does that too. The issue is whether you can quickly add *text annotations*. You can do this with the Kindles, so I assume the M92 can do it, but then I assumed the JBC could and was disappointed.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:45 AM   #13
freewheeling
Nameless Being

I've just been issued an RMA # along with an offer to keep the device for a $100 discount and the implication that they'll probably develop the capability of annotating text in a future firmware version. That's probably true, and if it were connected to the "summary" function it might be quite useful, but the reviews of the device in Consumer Reports were scathing.

If they had an Arabic language teaching option I might go for it though. They seem pretty competent at that. I might buy their product for the Nexus 10 or the iPad. I suppose that I should get an LCD, I was just hoping for something more "bookish" and designed for reading. The M92 looks nice, but again from their blurbs it sounds like they support hand-written annotation in PDF, but can't tell whether they have a text version for other formats.

BTW, I calculated the width and length on the Nexus 10. The screen is 5.3 inches wide and 8.5 inches long. A pdf with the 4/3 aspect ratio would leave a 1.5 inch space on the bottom for some "virtual buttons" or something. The width of the 9.7 inch screen on the JBC, M92, etc. is 5.75 inches. So the Nexus 10 is actually almost a half inch less in width. That would also be a bit more tiring on the eyes, but probably not too bad. The iPad screen is 9.7, so the same size as the JBC and M92.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:03 AM   #14
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
I've just been issued an RMA # along with an offer to keep the device for a $100 discount and the implication that they'll probably develop the capability of annotating text in a future firmware version. That's probably true, and if it were connected to the "summary" function it might be quite useful, but the reviews of the device in Consumer Reports were scathing.
They had me going for the first couple of months with promises of a firmware update that would contain the web browser they sold it as having already. Of course that never arrived.

If the device doesn't do what you want it to do now, don't rely on a firmware update adding it.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #15
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
They had me going for the first couple of months with promises of a firmware update that would contain the web browser they sold it as having already. Of course that never arrived.

If the device doesn't do what you want it to do now, don't rely on a firmware update adding it.
Andrew:

Well, in this case all they'd need to do is add a facility to the already very useful summary function. But it should have been done before release. They've now got a ton of reviews out there that say the device is useless, including Consumer Reports. So down the road when (not if) I wear out the buttons and the battery, where do I go to have it refurbished when it's out of production? So I think I have to return it.

BTW, the Nexus 10 screen for PDF viewing is 8% smaller than the iPad and other 9.7 inch screens. Is it too small? I guess you could always rotate and get the whole 8.5 inches across. But it's kind of a hassle and it's not really a reader. (Nor is the iPad, really.) That leaves the M92 and the PB 912. Of the 2 I think the M92 Pro is the better buy, but is it available in the US?