Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #31
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Isn't that exactly what "muted" means? If you're in a business meeting where you don't want your phone to ring, surely you also don't want any alarms to sound. Seems more like common sense than a "brilliant idea".
It needs to be a choice - if I mute my phone overnight so I'm not disturbed while sleeping, I still want the alarm to wake me up.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:46 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
It needs to be a choice - if I mute my phone overnight so I'm not disturbed while sleeping, I still want the alarm to wake me up.
I can see the utility of that if people are in the habit of ringing you up in the middle of the night.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #33
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I haven't had any problems so far and I have a nexus 7 2012 16gb. It seems to run a lot faster. 7
I have the same and it slowed mine down. Most notably when opening apps.

Not really a problem since it is just a night time reader for me at this point and my reading apps work fine.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #34
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I heard that lollipop now mutes the alarms as well when it's muted. What genius had that brilliant idea?
There's a new Setting that disables all notifications, including alarms. This is intended for those times when you don't want your phone to disturb you, like when you're in a meeting or at the cinema - you can set a timer so it goes back to normal mode after the time has lapsed.

You can also select a priority mode and in this mode you can select what the phone will notify you about, like only calls from starred contacts, for instance.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #35
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
I can see the utility of that if people are in the habit of ringing you up in the middle of the night.
It's not just people ringing you up, it also mutes the notifications for emails, text messages, etc.

But with regard to people ringing you, it's also hugely useful when travelling. I've been away from the UK working in Australia for the last three months, and phone calls often come 'in the middle of the night'.

The current behaviour of muting all but the alarms you've set works very well, so as long as there's an option to choose it I'll be happy when 5.0 drops onto my Nexus 4.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2014, 05:46 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
It's not just people ringing you up, it also mutes the notifications for emails, text messages, etc.

But with regard to people ringing you, it's also hugely useful when travelling. I've been away from the UK working in Australia for the last three months, and phone calls often come 'in the middle of the night'.

The current behaviour of muting all but the alarms you've set works very well, so as long as there's an option to choose it I'll be happy when 5.0 drops onto my Nexus 4.

Graham
I've never owned an Android phone, just Android tablets, but if I flip the switch on the side of my iPhone to "Silent", then I expect it to mean just that - that all noise will be suppressed, and that is of course exactly what it does mean. If I didn't want to be disturbed by phone calls at night, but I wanted the alarm turned on, I'd simply switch my phone to "Flight mode", so that all calls went straight to voicemail.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:34 AM   #37
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Isn't that exactly what "muted" means? If you're in a business meeting where you don't want your phone to ring, surely you also don't want any alarms to sound. Seems more like common sense than a "brilliant idea".
I don't have any meetings at 630 in the morning. I live across the world so I often get emails or IMs from my family during the middle of the night. Perhaps I'm getting mute and vibrate confused. So long as my phone just vibrates once when I get a message it won't wake me up. Would I still be able to hear my alarm if it is set to vibrate mode?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:39 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
So long as my phone just vibrates once when I get a message it won't wake me up. Would I still be able to hear my alarm if it is set to vibrate mode?
Not on an iPhone - if you have it in vibrate mode, the alarm, too, will vibrate.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #39
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
There's a thread on xda for apps not working on Lollipop, and this post has a link to a spreadsheet of apps.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=56733188
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #40
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The update finally came to me. Installing the update now, on my Nexus 7.2
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:27 PM   #41
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The update finally came to me. Installing the update now, on my Nexus 7.2
Good news! Can you let us know if all is OK after the install?

Not turned up for me yet.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #42
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Good news! Can you let us know if all is OK after the install?

Not turned up for me yet.
I've had it for about a week now. It's fine for the most part just video problems. All apps seem to work without problems. Netflix is fine and YouTube it's just Flash does not work. Facebook Videos do not work either. I hope someone can fix it eventually.

Oh there is a new Brightness control that I disabled but you can not go really dark on your Nexus when it's active. The first thing I did was disable notifications on lock screen. They just don't look pretty. Notifications area is ugly but I like most of the others changes.

Last edited by Blossom; 12-09-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:34 PM   #43
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Huge performance increase on my N7 (2013) with 5.0.1. I'm guessing that has to do with the switch from Dalvik to ART. Everything's responsive, quick and quite intuitive. Now if only the color-schemes of the Material theme didn't make me want to gouge my eyes out.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #44
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Huge performance increase on my N7 (2013) with 5.0.1. I'm guessing that has to do with the switch from Dalvik to ART. Everything's responsive, quick and quite intuitive. Now if only the color-schemes of the Material theme didn't make me want to gouge my eyes out.
Exactly. It seems faster to me to but it's not pretty like KitKat.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:57 AM   #45
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Interesting - thanks.

I'd currently still have a known issue with a specific application (Sky Go), but perhaps Sky will have resolved this by the time the OTA update gets to me.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote