Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Invitation from Library

The Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System just began offering Overdrive services a few weeks ago. I've been actively checking out books, and have requested that they buy a few titles also. I (along with a few other addressees) got this e-mail this morning from the Electronic Resources Librarian:

Quote:
Would anyone like to speak 2-5 minutes to Library staff regarding how you like the addition of Overdrive or any library service? What your hopes are for this service, etc. In keeping with the theme, Our Libraries Change Lives, we are inviting our customers to take part in Staff Development Day on Monday, October 11, 2010. The program will take place downtown at the Central library and it would be in the morning and I will give participants the logistics.
I haven't decided whether I'm going to do it or not, or even if I'm available that day. I'm considering it, though, and wondered if any of you have any thoughts on what I might say or suggest?
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
The Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System just began offering Overdrive services a few weeks ago. I've been actively checking out books, and have requested that they buy a few titles also. I (along with a few other addressees) got this e-mail this morning from the Electronic Resources Librarian:

I haven't decided whether I'm going to do it or not, or even if I'm available that day. I'm considering it, though, and wondered if any of you have any thoughts on what I might say or suggest?
I live on the opposite diagnal part of the country from you in Spokane, WA so what I'm suggesting may not really apply. Please go to show visible support of e-books and that your public library is trying something new. Having the staff and hopefully management see a real live body who uses the new system and likes it I believe will help your Electronic Resources Librarian further his/her cause to continue investment in e-books for lending more than just a report on the numbers of checkouts, etc. My local library is pushing its website as providing 24/7 access to information. I like to push the convienence factor of e-books back to them as not requring me to go to the library with a fussy toddler and how the library can have hundreds or more new books without a concern for how to store them.

Hope those ideas help.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Mention that the preferred format for ebooks is ePub. If they find that certain patrons like reading PDF, ask the library if it is feasible to carry both formats for a particular book. ePub books are much easier to read on the most common 5" and 6" devices.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Mention to them that more Americans have Kindle's and would check out e-books if they used a format readable on the Kindle.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
mopping five
Enthusiast
mopping five doesn't littermopping five doesn't litter

Device: nook
ProfCrash, can you give me a link for that information? My google-fu isn't good enough for me to find any good numbers there.
mopping five is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Please please please, y'all don't turn this into a nook vs. kindle thread! We've got plenty of those elsewhere.

I just wanted to open a discussion about what we want from libraries, that's all. Really.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
One thing I would suggest, if you do decide to participate, is to mention the problem that libraries seem to have when choosing which ebooks to buy. There are four different series I started with library books, but one of the books in the series (or more) isn't available. There's one series of four books that my library has books 1, 3, and 4. Very frustrating.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Also, you can see if they know the particulars about why Macmillan and Simon & Schuster dont permit library lending of their books.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Please please please, y'all don't turn this into a nook vs. kindle thread! We've got plenty of those elsewhere.

I just wanted to open a discussion about what we want from libraries, that's all. Really.
Sorry, not trying to do that but it is a legitimate point. Even if it is a 50-50 split between Kindle and Nook, that is 50% of the market not being reached by libraries.

Amazon does not sales figures so the numbers of Kindle sold is not known. It has been said in many places, none that I can cite because I don't have them memorized, that Amazon has 70% of the e-book market, possibly more. Bezos said the vast majority of Kindle book purchases have been for Kindles and not Kindle apps, I am guessing they can track what devices books are downloaded on. This leads me to believe that the majority of Americans have Kindles. It could be faulty logic, it is a Friday after all.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I would go if I could. Overdrive at libraries is a very valuable resource and worth letting the staff know so.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Mention that the preferred format for ebooks is ePub. If they find that certain patrons like reading PDF, ask the library if it is feasible to carry both formats for a particular book. ePub books are much easier to read on the most common 5" and 6" devices.
Tell the staff that PDF and ePub do require the same exact program for viewing on a computer and that ePub is better for portable readers and that given that ADE is needed on a computer for PDF and ePub, it makes no sense to order PDF when there is an ePub available.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Mention to them that more Americans have Kindle's and would check out e-books if they used a format readable on the Kindle.
Won't work. The DRM used for Mobipocket eBooks is not compatible with the Kindles. Most libraries these days do not order Mobipocket. They order ePub and some PDF. But mostly it's ePub. The Kindle is a terrible choice for a reader if one of your main uses is library eBooks.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #13
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Amazon deliberately made their mobi DRM different enough that there really isn't a format the libraries could carry. My guess is Amazon doesn't want kindle users checking out library books since they wouldn't be buying books then.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

One thing I know would be very useful is to have a request form in the Overdrive section. I've found that the request forms do not always go to the right person who knows about eBooks. And then you sit back and wait and wait not knowing if the request is going to be placed or not. Also the request form is setup more for paper books then eBooks. And the major problem is that if the library does get the eBook you've purchased, they cannot reserve it for you when it comes in. So you end up taking your chances that others may get it first. So you get 14 or 21 days at least to wait for it. And there is a way using ADE to return an ePub eBook before the borrow time is up and it's not published any place in the library's Overdrive site.

Help the library make it easier for the user and that will make it easier for them.

Oh yes, one thing I just thought of. I've seen libraries purchase eBooks that have an extremely limited appeal. The problem is that there is only so much money for eBooks and buying books that hardly anyone wants is not a good use of their budget. And please please please remind them that not everyone likes romance novels.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
One thing I would suggest, if you do decide to participate, is to mention the problem that libraries seem to have when choosing which ebooks to buy. There are four different series I started with library books, but one of the books in the series (or more) isn't available. There's one series of four books that my library has books 1, 3, and 4. Very frustrating.
Or even worse, they have all of the series in different formats. 1, 3, & 4 are ePub and 2 is WMA or PDF. Not at all a good thing. And yes, it is a very good idea to bring up series. Most of the time people request a specific eBook in a series and the library gets it, but doesn't get the rest or when a new eBook is available in said series, it's not purchased.