Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #286
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
[...]
Other than that my 8GB Fire has almost 6GB usable, not 4, I don't think I disagree with any of that.

I will mention, though, that while Amazon and similar clearly do want to drive you to their cloud, and I don't think they hide that fact...they kind of flaunt it in the Fire's case (and then do boneheaded stuff like not integrate with their own cloud drive....go figure), it is also true that many folks, including myself, are finding that even without cloud access, the space on those devices is often more than enough.

Not for everyone, surely, and that's fine.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #287
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Other than that my 8GB Fire has almost 6GB usable, not 4, I don't think I disagree with any of that.

I will mention, though, that while Amazon and similar clearly do want to drive you to their cloud, and I don't think they hide that fact...they kind of flaunt it in the Fire's case (and then do boneheaded stuff like not integrate with their own cloud drive....go figure), it is also true that many folks, including myself, are finding that even without cloud access, the space on those devices is often more than enough.

If you use the device primarily for reading, 6GB is certainly ample; it's much more than any of the Kindle readers offer, for example.

It's really just for video that it becomes a little cramped, I think.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #288
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:

I totally agree.

ETA: Harry, I think the Nexus only has ~4GB left for the user files, but I could be wrong. My head's still spinning from comparing specs the last 2 weeks.

(Your positive comments about your new SGT2 helped a lot, btw. Thanks.

/Watching window for UPS to bring me mine.

Last edited by Piper_; 07-13-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #289
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you use the device primarily for reading, 6GB is certainly ample; it's much more than any of the Kindle readers offer, for example.

There are games that are chewing up some serious space now, too...I just got my son a Spiderman game that downloaded something like 900MB of addtional data
Video is certainly the thing that comes up most often, though as we discussed elsewhere, a movie of decent quality on a 7" screen can be under half a gig sometime (and it's not like the Fire has an HDMI port that would make carrying higher quality files worthwhile....) So while half a dozen feature films or so in addition to the other content on the device is not enough for Tubemonkey, it is for me, and I tend to think we are each representative of a substantial class.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #290
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So while half a dozen feature films or so in addition to the other content on the device is not enough for Tubemonkey, it is for me, and I tend to think we are each representative of a substantial class.
Certainly; it'll be fine for many people. As we've discussed previously, personally I like the flexibility that having an SD card gives me, but I fully appreciate there are many people who have absolutely no need for one.
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #291
ApK

Quote:
Certainly; it'll be fine for many people. As we've discussed previously, personally I like the flexibility that having an SD card gives me, but I fully appreciate there are many people who have absolutely no need for one.
If it were just you and me here, it'd be a short, dull thread, wouldn't it.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #292
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

LOL
Old 07-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #293
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
ETA: Harry, I think the Nexus only has ~4GB left for the user files, but I could be wrong. My head's still spinning from comparing specs the last 2 weeks.

(Your positive comments about your new SGT2 helped a lot, btw. Thanks.

/Watching window for UPS to bring me mine.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying mine .
Old 07-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #294
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryT63 View Post
what I'm saying is. unless you are on an extended vacation, how much video do you need to carry, before you go home and sync or download another movie(s) to replace it/them?
Quote:

I rarely watch or keep video on my tablet, but I still use most of the 32GB SD card, and make sacrifices to keep under that limit. Some of it is reference material in PDF or database form, a decent chunk is comic books, there are a number of system backups and other tools to be used in recovery, a small 4GB sampling of my music collection, and usually just one fiction and maybe two non-fiction audiobooks because there's no space for more. I would love to have the space for a dozen audiobooks / lectures and about twice as many comics, because those are usually spur-of-the-moment decisions and with comics you can work through about as many MB/hr as you do with standard def video.

I don't want to spend a lot of time managing the content on my device, especially not deleting to make room. Also, aside from reading at home which doesn't require a connection, my tablet sees most of its use in off-line environments. I mainly keep a tablet around for the things I can do with it when I DO NOT have internet access.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #295
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I would love to have the space for a dozen audiobooks / lectures and about twice as many comics, because those are usually spur-of-the-moment decisions and with comics you can work through about as many MB/hr as you do with standard def video.
Forgive the obvious question, but why not just use another card?
Old 07-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #296
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I still use most of the 32GB SD card, and make sacrifices to keep under that limit.
Why sacrifice? Isn't the major point of a card slot that you can have more than one card?

Quote:
I mainly keep a tablet around for the things I can do with it when I DO NOT have internet access.
Yup. A lot of people really don't seem to get that not everyone has access all the time.

I do use my Fire mostly as a couch-friendly web browser/email checker, though.

Last edited by ApK; 07-13-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #297
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
I'll use multiple disks. For me, it's needed for car trips, kids, their movies & music, and one for my ebooks when we go to our country house.

I like having everything available, because we never know what we'll be in the mood for. (LOL It reminds me of packing for a long trip - I can never bring only x outfits for x days. At least no one's gotta haul all my "just in case" digital luggage.)

taosaur, not sure what tablet you have, but aside from extra cards, seems like you could also do what this Amazon reviewer did:

I bought a Sandisk 64GB microSDXC Class 6 card for less than 1/5 of the cost of this tablet, during a sale on Amazon. I formatted to FAT32 using my PC. I copied about 49GB of my own music, videos, and other stuff. I then inserted the card into the
Samsung Tab 2 7.0 tablet immediately recognized it. Everything plays great.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #298
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why sacrifice? Isn't the major point of a card slot that you can have more than one card?
Among micro-SD users, I suspect card swappers are a single-digit-percentage minority. For most people it's a one-time upgrade of storage capacity. A lot of Android apps also expect data on SD to stay more or less static. Swapping creates another layer of content management, introduces wear to one of a tablet's few (in some cases only) moving parts, requires coordinated handling of tiny parts with the associated risk of loss or breakage, and with my tablet requires removing the device from its case. That alternative is less attractive than managing with 32GB, and I could always bump up to 64GB (reported working in the Nook Color despite 32GB being the rated max).

There's a reason micro-SD slots are more often marketed as expandable media, not removable media. If you're really serious about storage capacity, though, swapping is an option.

ETA: Piper and I simul-posted, but her concerns are mostly addressed here, too Again, I don't have data behind it, but I get the impression that most users value card slots for the option to spend an amount of their choosing to upgrade storage by an amount of their choosing, rather than wanting to juggle multiple cards.

Last edited by taosaur; 07-13-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:44 AM   #299
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
What Piper_ said.
I installed a 64GB MicroSD in my GNote and despite being rated as supporting up to 32GB it recognized it fine. In my old, old ViewPad I have run 32GB cards and that is rated up to 16GB so obviously the slots, at least on my devices, can handle larger storage.

As for swapping, that may be a cultural thing. In any Japanese 100 yen shop ($1 store) you can buy a set of four plastic containers, each holding three SD cards. I assume they sell them because people want them, so there must be a lot more swapping going around in Japan than in the West.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #300
taosaur
intelligent posterior

SD cards get swapped quite a bit in DSLR cameras, just like rolls of film--RAW format pics can be huge, and shooting in bursts you can fill a card quickly. DSLR owners may be more inclined to card swap in other devices, too, being used to it. In my phone, removing the SD card requires pulling the back off and removing the battery, so it's pretty clearly not intended for swapping on the fly (even if I didn't keep half my apps on there).