Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindle Touch KF8 support: trouble in paradise?

I'd previously purchased this title (published Jan 24, 2012):

Wool Omnibus Edition

I had downloaded it to my KT prior to the 5.1 update so it originally was in mobi format. I have been switching between KT and Fire, and was having some sync issues. I noticed that the paragraph formatting was different, and realized that Fire had KF8, while my KT had mobi, which would account for that. 'Okay,' I thought, 'I'll just get the KF8 version on my KT, then everything will be fine!' So I archived and re-downloaded.

But things aren't fine: the font size on KT is vanishingly small (even at size 3). Oddly, when the Location is matched between the two devices, Fire shows I'm at 40%, KT shows I'm at 37%.

Maybe the title in question was converted with an earlier, buggier version of kindlegen (my Harry Potter book does not have this problem). Or the Fire pays attention to <font> properties that KT ignores. The problem is that there are KF8 books that look just fine on Fire but not on KT. You can't even blame the publishers, since prior to 5.1 there was no way to test on KT, and the Kindle Previewer app does not have an option for KT-with-KF8.

And while obviously I'd rather have the mobi format back, there's no way to get it. It's also not clear if Amazon can fix this with an update to KT's KF8 support (hope so).

So...brace yourself, folks! We may be in for a bit of pain in the transition to KF8, at least on KT. Might be prudent to download and view samples on KT before purchasing, at least until Amazon has had a chance to address this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-04-20T11_23_35-0700.gif
Views:	332
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	85518  
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote