Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Where to use chapter breaks

I have been advised, here and elsewhere, to break my book into chapters, to make life easier for people using older e-readers.

Because Sigil does not show pagebreaks in the Book View, I have a tendency to insert a chapter break wherever I want a page break -- after the title page, again after the frontispiece, again after the TOC, again after an introductory photograph that in the print edition is on the even-numbered page that faces Chapter One.

Should I be doing that? Or should I group all this introductory stuff into a single "chapter" and trust to the CSS to insert a page break where I want one?

Thanks!
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
What you have described will work well. I actually take it one step further and have each of the book parts (title page, TOC, Acknowledgements, Copyright, etc.) as a separate file. This creates an automatic chapter break.
Bob
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
When I break up my books, I do as Mncowboy, every new page subject type, that includes a separate dedication page, even when only a few lines. Pretty much what you see in a Paper edition. If it starts on a New page.

Be aware 'Chapter' is just a term. Any single block (file) of text must be under 260K for (older?) ADE mobile devices. Smaller means faster rendering on page or Zoom level changes . A 260K page will load and render... It just takes forever
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
So -- just keep on doing what I have been doing?

Got it! Thanks for confirming.
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote