Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Question A few Nook questions

I went to B&N yesterday to check out the Nook. I really liked the form factor and the build quality. Unlike the K2 I once had, the Nook felt like it was solidly built. But I've got a few questions based on my experience.

BTW: I forgot to check the firmware on the demo in B&N, so it might be an earlier version.

There seems to be a huge lag time between input on the LCD and reaction to same on the e-Ink display. Has the most recent firmware drastically reduced this? To be honest, I could select words a lot faster on the K2 than on the demo Nook, and the K2 was not a pleasant experience as it was clunkie and slow using their mouse button.

On several occasions when viewing a book and trying to change settings like the font size, the Nook closed the book and went to the library (book list). Has this been fixed?

In cover mode, the covers kept disappearing. It took several attempts for them to display and remain displaying. Has this been fixed?

The Nook seems to be having growing pains, but I like the form factor. But based on the demo model I played with I think they might be a few firmware updates away from getting it working correctly.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Schmots
Connoisseur
Schmots began at the beginning.

Device: nook, prs-505, iphone
The lag between typing and the screen is there, its a bit annoying but not terrible. I don't have my nook ever close a book on me when I am changing settings so that might have been an early firmware version or a defective unit. All my covers are there, but I don't use cover view very often honestly.
Schmots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I find doing anything with the touchscreen to be a slow and cumbersome process. Looking up words in the dictionary is particularly annoying.

I suggest you head back to B&N and spend a little more time with the demo unit. Try out the dictionary. Add a few highlights and notes. Flip back and forth from one book to another. Only you will know if it is fast enough for what you want to do.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
mykoffee
Enthusiast
mykoffee began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Looking up words in the dictionary takes forever, but while I wouldn't say the touchscreen is speedy, doing the rest on it isn't so bad. I did like the way the Kindle's 5 point button zipped through things though, I had them both for a while comparing features before I made up my mind.

I haven't had any other issues with my Nook though I do hear people complain from time to time about theirs freezing or doing other odd things. So far so good on my end, it's been a wonderful purchase!

Linda
mykoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
PASUNDOG
PASUNDOG began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
Is there a site on the web that lists the most recent updates to the NOOK ? Firmware/version updates for example. I am looking to buy a Nook but having had no experience with readers etc , I am curious as to how many updates have been made on the gadget so far and how it is coming along.
PASUNDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
There has been two updates for the nook so far. Information about the latest update is posted on the B&N nook website.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/s...?cds2Pid=30195
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
PASUNDOG
PASUNDOG began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
OK... got my (Rooted) Nook. can't get on the web.... my wireless DSL router js detected by it and I typed in the WEP code... but for some reason it sits there saying obtaining address... but not getting any further. Have excellent signal strength from the router.
???????????????????
Neal
PASUNDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The book closing when you try to change font size is a software error, according to Customer Service. We were dealing with this at my store today. It's a recurring error, at least in the demo units.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote