Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #136
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Re: smut. I remember when this came up a year ago, there was an informal agreement to use The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius as a placeholder for books that dare not speak their names. And if you seem to read and reread the Meditations? Surely it's for the inspiration and consolation they provide.
I recall that discussion like it was yesterday! And I believe a few people actually did place it in their reading lists more than once. :-) Inspiration and consolation? Oh, yes. Certainly.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #137
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I think I remember that agreement!

I must say, Issy, that kicking OD into the back bedroom is a good idea. Me? I struggle to not let my impulses and wallet direct my reading. I often abandon series and/or reading plans to read a new book I just had to purchase.
At least that means you really, really want to read it! I'm most bothered by OD books that turn out to be mediocre, but I finish them at least in part because OD books can be a now or never (or at least several weeks, if not months, before you can get it again) proposition. I want to be a lot choosier about what I put on hold, so at least when I have to re-arrange my reading to accommodate a book that's finally become available to me (and why do several books always all show up at once? the perennial OD plaint), it's because it's a book that I really do want to read.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #138
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Inspiration and consolation? Oh, yes. Certainly.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #139
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've started my reading challenge. I'm hoping to clean up some outstanding series.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #140
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
On other fronts, even though I can't list or quantify them, two of my challenges were to read less junk and to stop letting Overdrive control my reading. I've had some success with both. I abandoned what would have been a two-star mystery, the first in Charles Todd's newer series about a WWI nurse. I also canceled serveral holds at Overdrive. My new mantra is that if I wouldn't check it out of the physical library, I don't need it from Overdrive.
Good. I've also done some of that. And I had the same reaction to the Charles Todd book. I tried twice to read it, and just gave it up as a waste of time. I've got way more than enough books on my TBR to not need to read something I'm not enjoying.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #141
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, I'm doing OK on the reading part of the challenge -- Just finished a Josephine Tey from the library here. But while I finished one, I bought several more (all short stories, but they add up), and downloaded 3 Deryni books when my hold came up on them at the Library. I really need to slow down on the acquisition side.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #142
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Cleared number two off the required reading list, but my TBR pile is growing. I think it's okay as it is still accumulation of things on the required reading list, but I've never been overly comfortable having thousands of pages sitting around unread.

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; 01-05-2012 at 08:55 AM.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #143
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I've started a "Not Yet" folder for all of the freebies I've downloaded in the last week, but do not want to add to my Kindle. After ending the year with almost 1,500 ebooks, some of which I may never read, I've decided to slow down on my acquisitions a bit, and hopefully find a way to weed out the impulse downloads.

Other than that, I'm a bit fed up with The Iliad. I'm hoping its just a case of my not being in the mood to read it right now.

So, tonight I'll start my Dresden Files challenge with a reread of Storm Front. I read the short story prequel, A Restoration of Faith, last night.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #144
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1,500?!?

That number would ensure I'd be dead before I finished them all.

I finished The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner.

Now I'm partway through Black Rain by Masjui Ibuse and started The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett to take the edge off the Ibuse before bed.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #145
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
1,500?!?

I have Pixel of Ink, and the Freebie sub-forum to thank for that!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #146
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
1,500?!?

I finished The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner.

Now I'm partway through Black Rain by Masjui Ibuse and started The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett to take the edge off the Ibuse before bed.
Every year I say to myself that I'm going to read more Faulkner. And every year I manage not to do it.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #147
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

^The first 70 pages were a tough read. I need to re-read that section. All dialog with little narrative and I don't think I got as much out of it as I should have.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #148
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I have Pixel of Ink, and the Freebie sub-forum to thank for that!
Now look what you've done. Now I have to add another free book site to my RSS feed. I already have 200+ in my queue so I really didn't need another source.

I mostly use Ereader News Today (http://feeds.feedburner.com/EreaderNewsToday), but it looks like Pixel of Ink has a different selection.

One goal for the new year was for me to only grab books that I actually expect to read, so adding another feed shouldn't add too much to that.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #149
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think this thread should be made sticky so it is easier to find.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #150
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

^Nah, there's too many stickied threads in the subforums for me already. This one should have enough traffic not to be buried.

I'm on the home stretch of Black Rain. Then I can concentrate on Kafka and Pratchett for my challenge reads. It looks like I might actually close in on 2,000 pages and 7 books in Januray.