Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #31
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
- Dictionary support for ALL books sideloaded or otherwise
... wait, the dictionary only works for certain books?
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:08 AM   #32
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It works for the books loaded through sync only--the kePUB books.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:20 AM   #33
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Ouch! What a bugger.
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #34
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
Ouch! What a bugger.
Yah, Currently I have to use Dictionary.com for words I don't know like "vituperation". Anne McCaffrey Likes to use some bigs words
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #35
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Ah thanks Just had to look that word up
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am surprised nobody's requested that embedded fonts work.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #37
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am surprised nobody's requested that embedded fonts work.
I have not tried it but some say it works

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=19

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:28 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
I have not tried it but some say it works

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=19

Tim
But, that breaks the way ADE is supposed to handle embedded fonts and the way the publishers do it is not wrong. They have the fonts in a fonts directory that is in the OPS or OEBPS directory. So yes, it is broken and it is a bug. I did bring some books with me on an SD card that have properly embedded fonts and they do not display. This is a serious bug. I even tried Zelda's copy of the ePub of Three Men in a Boat and the fonts failed to display. Just got whatever default font was currently selected.

So if you have to have the fonts in the root of the ePub for it to work, then it's broken and badly broken and heads should roll.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #39
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
But, that breaks the way ADE is supposed to handle embedded fonts and the way the publishers do it is not wrong. They have the fonts in a fonts directory that is in the OPS or OEBPS directory. So yes, it is broken and it is a bug. I did bring some books with me on an SD card that have properly embedded fonts and they do not display. This is a serious bug. I even tried Zelda's copy of the ePub of Three Men in a Boat and the fonts failed to display. Just got whatever default font was currently selected.

So if you have to have the fonts in the root of the ePub for it to work, then it's broken and badly broken and heads should roll.
Embedded fonts must be defined in the OPF manifest and stored in the same place as it. While this is usually the OEBPS folder, it doesn't have to be. I've seen many an EPUB where it's not.

Also, there's no requirement that an eReader support embedded fonts.

Looks like no head rolling for you.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:07 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Embedded fonts must be defined in the OPF manifest and stored in the same place as it. While this is usually the OEBPS folder, it doesn't have to be. I've seen many an EPUB where it's not.

Also, there's no requirement that an eReader support embedded fonts.

Looks like no head rolling for you.
Since it is ADE, the fact that embedded fonts do not work properly is a bug and to be a working ADE, embedded fonts HAVE to work. All the ePub I tried are all made properly. The fonts are properly defined and set in the CSS and properly defined in the OPF. One of the ePub I tried you can download from MR. It's Zelda's well made edition of Three Men in a Boat. Try it in ADE for Windows and then try it in the Kobo and you will see that font embedding is broken big time.

So if Kobo is going to use ADE, then they need to fix the font embedding bug. Besides, do you want a substandard ADE in your Kobo? All that will do is drive people to other readers and Kobo will not sell well.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #41
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Since it is ADE, the fact that embedded fonts do not work properly is a bug and to be a working ADE, embedded fonts HAVE to work.
This is the point you're missing. Adobe's own spec sheets say embedded font support is not REQUIRED. One could obviously see there being hardware limitations to font support on a device. I do agree, it would be nice, and in this instance it very well may be a bug as by some reports it may be possible to finesse the kobo into doing embedded fonts. I'm just simply pointing out that they're NOT a requirement of Adobe.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
This is the point you're missing. Adobe's own spec sheets say embedded font support is not REQUIRED. One could obviously see there being hardware limitations to font support on a device. I do agree, it would be nice, and in this instance it very well may be a bug as by some reports it may be possible to finesse the kobo into doing embedded fonts. I'm just simply pointing out that they're NOT a requirement of Adobe.
So where is this spec sheet that says embedded font support is optional?

I don't see any limitations on the Kobo as to embedded fonts. The Sony Reader PRS-500 can do it. And so can the PRS-505. I would think the Kobo being newer with a faster processor should be able to do it as well.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #43
3d0g
I make fjords.

Quote:
So where is this spec sheet that says embedded font support is optional?
From Section 3.4 of the OPS Spec:

Quote:
It is advisable for a Reading System to support the OpenType font format, but this is not a conformance requirement; a reading system may support no embedded font formats at all.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
From Section 3.4 of the OPS Spec:
Ok, I see where you are coming from. But we have two different issues here. The issue here is Kobo is using ADE. ADE supports embedded fonts and to be a proper implementation of ADE, it has to support embedded fonts.

And since the Kobo's version of ADE doe not work properly with embedded fonts, it is a bug that needs to be fixed.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #45
3d0g
I make fjords.

Quote:
Ok, I see where you are coming from. But we have two different issues here. The issue here is Kobo is using ADE. ADE supports embedded fonts and to be a proper implementation of ADE, it has to support embedded fonts.
Your turn to site a reference to this "requirement".

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo