Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 03:48 AM   #61
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
I only read the first one, The Quiller Memorandum. Although it wasn't my kind of espionage novel, it did have one of the most enigmatic and mysterious opening set-pieces I've ever read. I remember being completely drawn in by the first couple of chapters.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #62
robert cotie
robert cotie began at the beginning.

Device: none
W.E.B. Griffin
robert cotie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #63
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Does anyone have an opinion of Donald Hamilton's Matt Helm series?

I've never read one, but I remember the Dean Martin movies from the 60s. I've no idea how true to the books the movies were.
The Matt Helm books do not resemble the Dean Martin Movies at all. Thank God. The studio decided to play it as a comedy.
The Matt Helm Books are great. Matt Helm is smart and tough. He is a government assassin than a spy. He is sent in to fix things that have gone wrong.
If you like Donald Hamilton's Matt Helm Series you should also try his western novels.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/donald-hamilton/
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #64
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool ditto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
The Matt Helm books do not resemble the Dean Martin Movies at all. Thank God.....
the 'thank god'!! i read one years ago and they on my current tbr list.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #65
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks, Apache! Last week I bought a set of the four Matt Helm movies at Amazon. I saw one back when it was new, and I'm sure that I will enjoy them all. But I will take them for what they were, and read a book or two with a different frame of mind.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #66
dieselnutjob
dieselnutjob began at the beginning.

Device: Energy Sistem eReader Pro+
I have also read all of the Le Carre and the entire Gabriel Allon series and loved them all. What should I read next? I need a about three or four books for the summer holidays.
dieselnutjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #67
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool A toper ? Surely not ...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
.................At some pint he stopped writing spy novels and started writing literature (as in, why use 5 words instead of 500).............................................

Surely you're not suggesting a few drops of the old 'ow's yer father made him change literary course ?
I wouldn't have him down as a beer man, more your malt, or cognac, I'd of thought.......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #68
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselnutjob View Post
I have also read all of the Le Carre and the entire Gabriel Allon series and loved them all. What should I read next? I need a about three or four books for the summer holidays.
Anthony Price if you have not read him.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/02/his...-audley-series
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #69
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Personally I like to root through the bargin basement bins and see what great espionage and thriller novels I can come up with. In the time I have been doing this I have come up with some really great ones such as ENJ Carter's The Other President. About a US President who is caught in a terrorist attach on the White House and is presumed dead, however he is quite alive and is replaced with the Speaker of the House. The president is given extensive face reconstruction surgery and his jaw is rewired so he does not look and/or sound the same. While the speaker and his men seek out the president for killing the president fights his way back to his position in the White House.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #70
richard5832
richard5832 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've heard of a Follett/Graham Greene/Ambler/other novel in which the Chinese government out-negotiates its arch-capitalist adversaries in a large (natural resources?) transaction.

Does anyone know this book?
richard5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #71
Smoke286
Smoke286 began at the beginning.

Device: BB Playbook
I quite enjoyed some of Deighton earlier works Spy Story being my favourite
Smoke286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #72
dieselnutjob
dieselnutjob began at the beginning.

Device: Energy Sistem eReader Pro+
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
For me Anthony Price is the best spy story writer. Second is probably Le Carré and third is Len Deighton.
I read Labyrinth Makers last weekend and enjoyed it very much.

Now I'm looked for the second book The Alamut Ambush and I can't find it for sale as an ebook. Damn and blast.
dieselnutjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #73
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselnutjob View Post
I read Labyrinth Makers last weekend and enjoyed it very much.

Now I'm looked for the second book The Alamut Ambush and I can't find it for sale as an ebook. Damn and blast.
Yes, this is very annoying. I bought the ones available as ebooks since I am re-reading the series. But that was only a couple of them. I have the rest as paper books but that is not as convenient to read.

But they are definitely worth trying to find second hand if they are not available as new paper books.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #74
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Of free/PD stuff, I've really enjoyed E. Phillips Oppenheim's novels. He was one of the first authors to really write spy or intrigue novels, mostly revolving around WW1 (either the run up to it or during it).
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #75
bearymore
Zealot
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
Olen Steinhauer's Milo Weaver novels are excellent as is Philip Kerr. I second the several recommendations for Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole books.
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote