Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #1
Indigo121
Enthusiast
Indigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook
Stopping "auto sync"?

I've done the horrible mistake of turning the WIFI on the device. Now it's downloaded a new version of the OS (without asking me of course) and now every time I move a non-Amazon book from one collection to another I get all kinds of annoying message about syncing my collections.

This is frankly an aggressive and annoying move by Amazon. I don't want to use the cloud, and don't want to sync anything. I just want those message to go away. I've turned off "Whispersync Device Synchronization" on Amazon.com but to no avail.

Please help. Thanks!
Indigo121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Unfortunately you are stuck, there is no downgrading, so until Amazon makes improvements on the collections feature, this is what you will have to deal with.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2014, 01:20 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Unfortunately you are stuck, there is no downgrading, so until Amazon makes improvements on the collections feature, this is what you will have to deal with.
Have I taught you nothing? We've been through this before, nynaevelan...

@indigo121, there IS a way to downgrade the Kindle Paperwite 2 from the v5.4.2 firmware to the v5.4.0 firmware, which would fix the sync problem. (The problem is Amazon's badly-thought-out Cloud Collections feature, which 5.4.0 didn't have.)

To do so is however fairly technical, but if you wish to try it out, follow the directions here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/README.txt and grab the system images here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/

What you are doing is: booting your Kindle into diags mode, and overwriting the OS firmware with a snapshot of the 5.4.0 firmware, created by the saviors at the Kindle Developer's Corner () by imaging a KPW2 which wasn't updated yet. You MUST be jailbroken in order to do this!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:29 AM   #4
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Have I taught you nothing? We've been through this before, nynaevelan...

@indigo121, there IS a way to downgrade the Kindle Paperwite 2 from the v5.4.2 firmware to the v5.4.0 firmware, which would fix the sync problem. (The problem is Amazon's badly-thought-out Cloud Collections feature, which 5.4.0 didn't have.)

To do so is however fairly technical, but if you wish to try it out, follow the directions here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/README.txt and grab the system images here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/

What you are doing is: booting your Kindle into diags mode, and overwriting the OS firmware with a snapshot of the 5.4.0 firmware, created by the saviors at the Kindle Developer's Corner () by imaging a KPW2 which wasn't updated yet. You MUST be jailbroken in order to do this!
Sorry
Old 01-19-2014, 01:36 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry
And to think the reason I found this out and started mentioning it was in response to you! I mean, this is practically your baby!
erm, I mean the fact that I now have this advice to give to people, not the advice itself, for which the credit belongs firmly with ixtab and the dev team.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. [shake-head smilie, since the forum doesn't have one]
Advert
Old 01-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

I forgot about it for a minute, don't know why though because I do remember I didn't want to revert back because I didn't want to jailbrake mine. Plus since I went through all that trouble to fix my collections, I didn't want all that effort to be wasted.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Of course not, not after that whole conversation with Java Mobi Metadata Editor and yet more stuff. As always, I'm happy to help.

Just teasing you. It was funny, and slightly ironic.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@eschwartz-
Do you know if the 'folder named update.bin.tmp.partial' trick for stopping auto updates works on the PW2 as I understand the BackDoorLock hack doesn't?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I am fairly sure it does. The only difference would be if Amazon changed the location they save a downloading-update-in-progress to, and that is easily changed. Or if they add special update code to clear folders as well, specifically to block this, in which case it won't work, but that's hardly likely. It is pretty obscure.

Why are we discussing this here?
Old 01-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Why are we discussing this here?
Because you were just discussing that it was possible to revert to PW2 original firmware 5.4.0 (though not easily) and the question popped into my head.
Dev's Corner is more appropriate, but I was looking for quick and dirty!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Because you were just discussing that it was possible to revert to PW2 original firmware 5.4.0 (though not easily) and the question popped into my head.
Dev's Corner is more appropriate, but I was looking for quick and dirty!
Fair enough. It felt almost as if it belonged in another thread somewhere, I was probably telling someone else the same thing though.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #12
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo121 View Post
I've done the horrible mistake of turning the WIFI on the device. Now it's downloaded a new version of the OS (without asking me of course) and now every time I move a non-Amazon book from one collection to another I get all kinds of annoying message about syncing my collections
I have 3 Paperwhites and I've dealt with this by deleting the collections on all of them and then syncing and then creating collections on each Paperwhite with unique names. Now, since there is no collection with the same name on any two Paperwhites they don't attempt to synch anything. Problem solved.

It is important, if you do this, to delete the collections and then synch before creating new collections. If you simply rename a collection it renames it on all devices with the same collection name.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:09 AM   #13
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I have 3 Paperwhites and I've dealt with this by deleting the collections on all of them and then syncing and then creating collections on each Paperwhite with unique names. Now, since there is no collection with the same name on any two Paperwhites they don't attempt to synch anything. Problem solved.

It is important, if you do this, to delete the collections and then synch before creating new collections. If you simply rename a collection it renames it on all devices with the same collection name.

Barry
I still do not understand how you accomplish this. My android which has no collections or books whatsover, syncs with my account and all the collections which are on the pw2 show up on the android.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
I still do not understand how you accomplish this. My android which has no collections or books whatsover, syncs with my account and all the collections which are on the pw2 show up on the android.
That's exactly what should happen. I assume barryem, like some other people have mentioned, uses different collection names so he knows which ones are meant for each Kindle.

And for what it's worth, sirmaru thinks we're all idiots for not feeling that that solves everything, for everybody. That's probably why you don't remember this.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:52 PM   #15
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
That's exactly what should happen. I assume barryem, like some other people have mentioned, uses different collection names so he knows which ones are meant for each Kindle.

And for what it's worth, sirmaru thinks we're all idiots for not feeling that that solves everything, for everybody. That's probably why you don't remember this.
So in essence you still end up with the same collections on all the devices but the different names just makes it easier to identify which device they belong on? I do not see how that is helpful at all, at least not in my scheme of things. I already have over 100 collections, that would be a major PITA if they were all different for each device.