Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-29-2008, 02:23 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelheid View Post
I beg your pardon? You are not serious, are you?
Er, yes, I am.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:02 AM   #32
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Thank you very much HarryT, those are really great news!

And thank you for the outstanding contributions you have been putting all over this forum - your posts where mandatory in my decision to buy the Cybook.

Best reagrds,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2008, 06:13 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My celebrations are "on hold" until I actually SEE the update and find out what's in it . But yes, having a date for it is good news.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:25 AM   #34
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd forgotten about that bug, Tommy - yes, that one IS major, I agree with you. Can it happen, though, on books which meet the Mobi spec of images <64k in size
Yes, it seems more related to the actual image size than the file size.

Quote:
BTW, After the messages on this thread I wrote to "support@bookeen.com" yesterday afternoon and asked when the next firmware release was due. I got an answer within the hour to say that it would be released in March.
I think they might have created a "support department" now since my response was signed with something like that. That might mean that things have become better now.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #35
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My celebrations are "on hold" until I actually SEE the update and find out what's in it . But yes, having a date for it is good news.
Having a date is only good news if it is real.....I was encouraged when I received an email from Bookeen around the 1st of January that gave a "few weeks" timeframe.....So now I reset my expectations to the end of March. we'll see what happens.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
Having a date is only good news if it is real.....I was encouraged when I received an email from Bookeen around the 1st of January that gave a "few weeks" timeframe.....So now I reset my expectations to the end of March. we'll see what happens.
I agree with you completely - let's hope that the March release date is an accurate one.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I thought that it was image size and not file size that was the issue. Because there can be large images less then 64k in filesize.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I thought that it was image size and not file size that was the issue. Because there can be large images less then 64k in filesize.
I think there are two separate issues, Jon. Some MobiPocket platforms (eg Palm machines) won't handle images >64k (although the Gen3 appears to handle them without difficulty). There seems to be an entirely separate issue specific to the Gen3 concerning image dimensions, rather than file size.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What I could do is the next PRC I make make it with different size cover images and then let the gen3 owners soo when it locks up to know what size is too big.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #40
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What I could do is the next PRC I make make it with different size cover images and then let the gen3 owners soo when it locks up to know what size is too big.
It is probably not so simple. I did try to test a lot of sizes to find if there was a limit but the result was not consistent. Sometime a large image works and sometimes i does not work. And even for problematic images the maximum size varied. For MobiPerl I took a size that never caused problem for me and used that as a maximum.

This is something that is very time consuming to test as a user but probably very easy for Bookeen to debug since it is totally reproducable and they have been sent test cases.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:43 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What is the largest size image you've constantly had work in a Mobipocket format eBook?
Old 02-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #42
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What is the largest size image you've constantly had work in a Mobipocket format eBook?
480x640 and number of bytes less than 61000.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #43
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
800x600 grey jpeg and 91 kbytes.

Have just created a new eBook with this front page today and zero problems.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:19 PM   #44
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
800x600 grey jpeg and 91 kbytes.

Have just created a new eBook with this front page today and zero problems.
As I said. There is cases were this work or even larger images. The limit was the limit that always work according to empirical observations.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:04 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
I agree with you in principle. But I have an email from Bookeen, dated January 3, 2008, which states:

"We will release in the next few weeks a software upgrade which fixes at least the first issue. We have no final release date yet, but we work to find a definitive solution to the bookmark issue and integrate it at the same time."

In accordance with their email message to me, I start expecting to see a firmware update around mid to late January.
As we are discussing in another thread, it seems that they did exactly what they said they would - released a firmware upgrade (build 538) around mid January which does indeed appear to have fixed at least the majority of the reported bugs. If you write to "support@bookeen.com" and request it, they'll send you reflash instructions.

The reason it's not been publicized is that this is just an "intermediate" release which fixes bugs rather than add any new features, and all new Gen3's are being shipped with the new firmware. Anyone who reports "old" bugs now (as I did) appears to be being sent the reflash instructions.