Notices

Old 02-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
pete6055
Connoisseur
pete6055 began at the beginning.

Device: none
W3C css Validator problem?

Hello,

Since loading Sigil 7, the W3C css validator defaults to the css 2.1 profile rather than css 3.0. Has anybody else seen this?

While I can manually set the W3C validator profile, is there a way to do so within Sigil?

By the way, this was not a problem in 6.2, but it began when I loaded Sigil 6.9.

Thanks,
pete6055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6055 View Post
Hello,

Since loading Sigil 7, the W3C css validator defaults to the css 2.1 profile rather than css 3.0. Has anybody else seen this?

While I can manually set the W3C validator profile, is there a way to do so within Sigil?

By the way, this was not a problem in 6.2, but it began when I loaded Sigil 6.9.

Thanks,
Sigil doesn't do ePub 3 yet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It is not Logical!
Sigil does EPUB 2 (It just does not reject EPUB3)

So it defaults to EPUB2 but does not prevent you from Validating EPUB3
Seems to me you already Win
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:04 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
CSS2.1 and CSS3 have nothing to do with EPUB2 or EPUB3. Both EPUB versions support only a limited subset of CSS, and add some properties, so CSS validation will never be 100% safe. But it can help in finding syntax errors, and for that any CSS version will do.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I suspect the idea of the programmers is to provide something that is useful to validate the code, which it is. I think it is just a fair ways down the to-do list to try to keep up with the ever-shifting sands of standards, let alone devices whose observance of standards is always in the breach. There is always the on line check which is aimed at this as its main focus instead of a side issue.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
pete6055
Connoisseur

Hi,
Thanks for the responses...

But what I was asking was where are the settings for the W3C validator set in Sigil -- in the program itself, an ini file, a registry key, etc?

I use @font-face a lot. It is not supported in css 2.1, which my Sigil install now defaults to. Previous versions either did not specify a profile or specified css 3.0. What this means is I now have to set-up the validator outside of my Sigil session -- not impossible or the worst thing, but still an extra step.

By the responses to this thread, I assume I'm the only one having this problem. OK, but can anyone tell me how to fix it?
Old 02-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not in CSS 2.1, but it is in CSS 2 (http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-CSS2-2...t-descriptions). And, in fact, ePub 2.0.1 is based on CSS 2:

"This specification defines a style language based on CSS 2. (Note that the CSS 2.1 specification is currently still at "Working Draft" status.)"

Maybe Sigil validation should default at CSS 2 instead.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
I'm willing to change it. It is hard-coded in the program, and was changed from 3 to 2.1 since it seemed 'closer' to EPUB 2. But as you have pointed out, EPUB 2's CSS isn't any specific version that is validated by the validator. If I recall, when I tested 2 I received other errors which were pretty annoying. Having it error on @font-face is a pain. I don't think dropping it to 2 will be good.

I'm thinking of putting it back to 3, and if it 'misses' some things because they are only valid in EPUB 3, well, that may be less people affected than if it stays 2.1. In any case, its only meant as quick check.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

I would vote for css 3. I like it to check for typos and syntax errors in my @font-face declarations as well as the rest of the code. (I'm much less likely to try using an unsupported feature than to make a typo!)

Just my $0.02

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
pete6055
Connoisseur

Thank you.

I've tested: 3.0 works for sure, as should specifying no profile at all, because the css valiator uses the 3.0 profile by default.

Might I suggest: pass the file just as you now do to the validator, but open the browser session on the "upload file page" -- http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_upload -- so that the user can choose the option there. This might add as little as one additional click to the validation process (if using the 3.0 default), but you would never have to deal with this issue again; Sigil's code could remain static in this regard. You guys work hard enough, so why not let someone else do the maintenance, when new standards are adopted?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #11
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6055 View Post
Thank you.

I've tested: 3.0 works for sure, as should specifying no profile at all, because the css valiator uses the 3.0 profile by default.

Might I suggest: pass the file just as you now do to the validator, but open the browser session on the "upload file page" -- http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_upload -- so that the user can choose the option there. This might add as little as one additional click to the validation process (if using the 3.0 default), but you would never have to deal with this issue again; Sigil's code could remain static in this regard. You guys work hard enough, so why not let someone else do the maintenance, when new standards are adopted?
Or in the options page, allow a selection of 3, 2.1, 2, "ask me"...the "ask me" would take you to the upload file page, where the others would be the selected default.

Just a thought.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #12
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Personally, if none of the options are an actual match for the CSS used by epub's, then I'd rather not have this option of validating my CSS against an incorrect schema.

This could lead me to think everything is fine when it isn't.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Maybe "no profile" is best, if that checks only syntax, and not whether a particular property is defined or not.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #14
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
Personally, if none of the options are an actual match for the CSS used by epub's, then I'd rather not have this option of validating my CSS against an incorrect schema.

This could lead me to think everything is fine when it isn't.
Useful, however, if only as a quick check for a malformed stylesheet? And, of course, you're not oblighd to use it!
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I think it needs to be kept in mind that there is no silver bullet that is going to make sure everything works when no machine fully complies in the first place.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote