Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #31
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I use Kindle for all amazon products, Sony T1 for all other e-book stores I use, and my iPad for research papers in pdf format.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #32
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
I guess that depends on how you define it.

A million years ago in digital time (about 2000), I got a Sony Clie (a Palm OS PDA). I tried to use it for a bit of reading, but without much success. Shortly after that, I got an HP iPaq. A wonderful PDA. Read a few books from the Baen Free Library using Microsoft Reader on it. Good, but LCD, so battery life and eye-strain issues. I still have these around someplace, but they're inactive.

Tried to find a decent reader for the Nokia 5230 phone I had a few years ago. Nothing worked well.

My current phone is the Google Galaxy Nexus. I use the Google Play book reader, Aldiko, FB Reader, Moon+ Reader, and Cool Reader apps. I use FB Reader most on my phone. I use it when commuting. I always have the phone with me, so why not?

We also have a Sony T1 that was purchased as an anniversary gift for my wife. I was supposed to get to use it sometimes too, but I never see it anymore. I did enjoy using it. There is one on its way as a Christmas gift for me. I prefer its features to the T2, based on what I have read.

Honestly, I don't know how one can justify having multiple e-readers. I can understand having a phone, a tablet, an e-reader, and a PC, but not more than one functional, stand-alone e-reader. I just don't have the dough for that.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #33
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Just one. My Sony PRS-650...hasn't let me down yet.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #34
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I've got some 50 units. Close to 30 tablets and ca. 25 eBook readers.
I've built this collection since 2008.
There was a time (until ca. summer 2010) when I was able to buy every new gadget. I loved the first 2 or 3 days of checking out features and toying around. Now there simply are too many different units and I have to choose.
But I already know about some of the gadgets I have to buy:
Microsoft Surface Pro for sure.
I'll certainly buy about every Kindle that comes out.
I've got more than 700 books from Amazon, so I'll stick to Amazon. Every new Kindle brings some features I'd like to have.
And I have a simple calculation for all my toys: How many hours will I use them in total? What does the original buying price then mean per hour of usage? And usually I end up with a surprisingly small figure.
If I read, let's say, 3 hours per day, that's 1.000 hours per year. If I buy 5 tablets (€ 400 on average x 5) and 5 readers (€ 200 on average x 5) that's just € 3.000 per year = € 3 per hour.
Way cheaper than cinema.
Dramatically cheaper than dinner in a restaurant.
Even if I add the price for an ebook to the equation, it's still one of the cheaper (and more fulfilling) hobbies...
Still: I try to reduce the amount of my gadgets, as I simply loose track which one to charge next.
You make me feel less guilty about having 5, soon to be 6, ereaders. At the rate I'm buying them I might soon equal your collection. I should really slow down my collecting, but I have a birthday coming up...
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #35
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I got the iPad and was using it for e-books when I got the Nook STR as a gift. I loved it and got one child a Nook Tablet. Later I kept being given Amazon gift cards for gifts and kept seeing free books for Amazon, and then a great deal came up for a Kindle 4S, so I got that. Though my husband often uses it really. And then my other child got a Nook Color for a gift. So that's all of our readers. I usually use the Nook, but I also like the Kindle. Both are very good readers.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #36
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Two ... but it depends on how you count. I've got the JetBook Lite and I do almost all of my ereading on it. When prices dropped after it was discontinued I picked up a second as a spare -- but it's still in the box.

I also have a Pandigital Novel. The Internet Archive has a large number of old issues of Galaxy Science Fiction from the late fifties and early sixties, and the PDFs are pretty good. In general, the PDN does a better job with PDFs than the Jetbook, but in the case of Galaxy (and other digest sized magazines) it really shines.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #37
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
My first ereader was a Palm PDA. I read a couple of books on it and thought I was all technologically advanced,lol.

Then I bought a Sony- a 500 I think. The first generation Kindle followed that one. I then bought every single version of Kindle up to and including the PW, except for the DX.

My Nooks were impulse buys as were the Kobos- I have a gadget addiction.

I also have an ipad 4 and an ipad mini. I read on those sometimes, but the majority of my reading happens on my Kindle and Nook HD.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #38
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have 4 ereaders, plus an ipad. I upgrade regularly and just don't get rid of the old ones. I store books on them, most of my books are not from Amazon so I store them on my PC and my older ereaders.

Last edited by Josieb1; 01-26-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #39
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Three. All are listed to the left.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #40
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I've just added an iPad mini to my list of reading devices but will be getting rid of my nexus 7 shortly so the number will stay the same.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #41
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I own 1 dedicated ereader (Kobo GLo)
My wife has a Kobo Touch, soon to be replaced by a Glo, then my 10 year old daughter will get the Kobo Touvh.

My son has my old Kobo Touch.

We DO have other devices that CAN function as ereaders as well, but don't use them as such. Such as tablets, smartphones etc..
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #42
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Nook color (sold last week), Sony PSR-350, Kindle keyboard 3G, Nexus 7. And I almost got a Kobo Mini last week because of the price... But I really really want a $69 kindle because it felt great in my hands. And I have the kindle app on my iPod touch and Blackberry.
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #43
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I'm down to one. The older "bought because they were super cheap and my roommate was sort of interested in ereading" models are gone. My K3 now belongs to my roommate, but I don't think he's picked it up since he got his iPhone. I use my Sony T1 exclusively these days.

I have a tablet, but I only read magazines and reference PDFs on that, though I have some "emergency reading material" on it, just in case. It's just too hard for me to read on the backlit screen for any length of time.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #44
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I got my first reader in 2009. It was a Sony 300. I wanted it SO badly I cried when I opened it at Christmas. LOL *dork* I went with Sony because I felt it was more open than the Kindle and I could read library books on it. I wasn't sure that I would, but having that as an option meant that I could if I decided I did want to.

I then got the Sony 350 because it elminated the frustrating library PDF epub conflict and it was a touch model. I loved it dearly and was deathly afraid that Sony would ditch the metal readers for plastic, which they eventually did, so I bought a backup. It wasn't pink but it was a 350. Hubby was not impressed and I put it up on eBay.

I then got a black T1 when they first came out because they were a 6 inch reader with Wifi, which I didn't think I needed or wanted as I was perfectly happy with my 350 but found it really is a terrific option to have. I despised it at first. Well, to be exact, I despised the Sony software because of the syncing issues with it. I toyed with chucking it at the wall to hopefully smash into a million little indistinguishable pieces or bringing it back to the store. I actually did pack it up but stuck with it because I'm stubborn and wanted to figure out how to live with it. I eventually did. I get books to my reader manually now. I don't use the Sony software.

We were in the States shopping around Christmas that year and I bought a Kindle non-touch. I was very pleasantly surprised. I also loved having access to the Amazon marketplace. I figured at this point I had the best of both worlds - epub & the huge Kindle bookstore.

The T2 came out but I didn't see that it was, for me, worth upgrading to from the T1 so I didn't buy it. But I did buy the Kindle Paperwhite when it came out. I'm really enjoying it. I do miss the page turn buttons on the non-touch but I love the light. It doesn't light up the rest of the room at night like the various booklights I have do and that's great for my hubby.

Then the hubby went to an auction and got a red T for a really great price.

So.....I now have and use 3 - a black T1, a red T1 and a Kindle Paperwhite. I really love them all. The other Sony's are gone. Sold to friends or on eBay and the non-touch Kindle is in the process of being bought.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #45
Elibre
Elibre began at the beginning.

Device: Prestigio
I have one Prestigio PER3562B, my wife have Kindle Paperwhite
Elibre is offline   Reply With Quote