Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
elvee
elvee began at the beginning.

Device: bebook, bebook mini, sony Prs 600, Sony Prs650 Kobo Touch, Kindle Tou
Smile Sony for Oz?

I've just received an answer from Sony saying that they have no release date for the Sony prs-600 here in Australia. I also commented that the Kindle was available here and surely they would want to have a share of the market? I know that I can get a Sony from one distributor but the price is over the top. I might have to look at ebay. I've seen a few at better prices than the local seller, even taking into account the shipping costs.
Is there any whispers about a release date for the Sony prs-600. Surely it can't be too far away.
elvee
elvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
From what I have read from Australian Sony Ereader owners, a lot of them seem to have purchased from B & H Video (google will reveal the web address). I compared their price (after currency conversion) with a local supplier, $175AU cheaper before shipping compared to local - sad I know. I personally don't think we'll see Sony officially release the PRS range here until they work out their restrictions etc with their bookstore - once they're in a position to sell books to us I feel they will start selling ereaders to us.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
elvee
elvee began at the beginning.

Device: bebook, bebook mini, sony Prs 600, Sony Prs650 Kobo Touch, Kindle Tou
thanks for the info Solicitous. The local supplier I found is charging $450 and then add on postage. Which is the reason I emailed Sony. Because they have more formats to choose from I wouldn't be worried so much about sourcing books to read. Eventually, these restrictions have to be sorted out surely. It's just not good business to alienate so many potential customers. Fictionwise are always sending me emails about "specials" etc. What's the point when most things I would like are "geographically restricted" how I hate that term.
Thanks again for the info, I'll do a bit more delving.
elvee
elvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:48 AM   #4
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Elvee, there was another thread on this forum discussing this very issue a few weeks ago. There'll be no real e-book market in Oz in foreseeable future due to the parallel import restriction laws just passed by the government. There was a story on The Australian the other day about this.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:27 AM   #5
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Elvee, there was another thread on this forum discussing this very issue a few weeks ago. There'll be no real e-book market in Oz in foreseeable future due to the parallel import restriction laws just passed by the government. There was a story on The Australian the other day about this.
A small correction: the laws prohibiting parallel importation have been in effect for several decades. The government requested the Productivity Commission review the laws, the PC suggested they be abolished and the government completely ignored the PC's report due to extensive lobbying by the publishers.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 01:31 AM   #6
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
A small correction: the laws prohibiting parallel importation have been in effect for several decades. The government requested the Productivity Commission review the laws, the PC suggested they be abolished and the government completely ignored the PC's report due to extensive lobbying by the publishers.
Good one Robbie, thanks for the correction. You are absolutely right.
Too bad I've had my head buried in sand (literally) this last year, I just heard about this whole issue a few weeks ago.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote