Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
BigWaffles
Enthusiast
BigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-books

Device: K2, KDX
Amazon Cover Problem

I was hoping you could give me some advice/insight.

I have the Amazon cover for my Kindle 2 and I must say that I love it. It's held up great over the past 10 months (including 6mo in the middle-east). The problem I have is that the cover is starting to sag over the screen. When It's closed there is a slight depression over the screen area of my Kindle. My concern is that it might be putting pressure on the screen. Has anybody else noticed this problem?

I'm looking at replacing it and am considering the Oberon covers but my main concern is the size. I really like that the Amazon cover doesn't add much thickness or bulk to the Kindle. Can anyone tell me how the Oberon covers compare to the basic Amazon cover as far as thickness and overall size? How stiff is the front cover? For those of you who've had the Oberon covers for a while, does the front cover seem to be sagging over the screen area? Thanks in advance for any help.

C.P.T.
BigWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I haven't heard anything about the cover sagging, but there were some problems a while back where the hooks on the cover caused cracking in the case of the Kindle. Lots of folks here swear by the Oberon covers, though.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
BigWaffles
Enthusiast
BigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-books

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't had any problems with the cracking issue (thankfully). I'm leaning heavily towards an Oberon case, just need to get a size comarison between that and the original Amazon case. Cheers.

C.P.T.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:33 AM   #4
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
The Oberon weighs way more than the Amazon covers. It makes my DX too uncomfortable with the extra weight. My husband prefers the Amazon cover on his Kindle2. We always used a piece of velcro under the right front of the Kindle2 and DX when using the Amazon cover. No cracking issues at all.

I am of the opinion that most Kindle owners didn't have a cracking issue with the Amazon covers. The ones who did, mostly were opening them from the back which put strain on the hinges.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
BigWaffles
Enthusiast

luvshihtzu,

Thanks for that info on the weight of the Oberon, the main thing I like about the Amazon cover is its light weight. This one's lasted almost a year, maybe I'll just buy another one and start over.

C.P.T.
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
sorry this is so fuzzy. this is an Oberon case. the bold large mark on the left is the one inch line so you can see how fat it is. highly recommend!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	size.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	42831  
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
BigWaffles
Enthusiast

Thank's for the measurements; the Oberons seem both heavy and thick. I'll probably wait a while on one as I really like the size and weight of the Amazon cover.

C.P.T.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
thick, yes. as in durable. heavy? maybe I am just used to it. I have both it and the M-edge and use only the Oberon
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #9
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I have a Noreve cover that I like very much. It holds the Kindle using "rails" so it's very unobtrusive. It's more substantial than the Amazon cover, but not much (if any) larger (the Amazon case won't fit into the box the Noreve came in). They don't seem to be as well known as Oberon (certainly Oberon has a huge fan base), but I wanted something simpler and I loved the clean look of the hinges, and I didn't want to put Velcro on my Kindle to achieve the floating look on the Oberon.

Last edited by tlrowley; 01-12-2010 at 10:18 AM.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I got a skin to make my kindle a little more secure to hold (I read without the cover). I had an Oberon cover for my kindle 1, but just a case for transporting my kindle 2.

Click image for larger version

Name:	41jXbMczjpL._SL500_AA280_[1].jpg
Views:	214
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	43754
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
I have a Noreve cover that I like very much. It holds the Kindle using "rails" so it's very unobtrusive. It's more substantial than the Amazon cover, but not much (if any) larger (the Amazon case won't fit into the box the Noreve came in). They don't seem to be as well known as Oberon (certainly Oberon has a huge fan base), but I wanted something simpler and I loved the clean look of the hinges, and I didn't want to put Velcro on my Kindle to achieve the floating look on the Oberon.

I totally agree. I bought two Noreve covers - one each for each Kindle 2. These were the ones that had to be specially made, and took about 2 weeks to get here.

The cover is fantastic and is a great fit. It's expensive, but so are clothes. Consequently, I have no clothes.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Oberon covers are heavy and thick. On the other hand, they are so incredibly beautiful that it seems a small price to pay. Because of the weight, I usually (but not always) remove my Kindle when reading.

Would I recommend one? Let me put it this way: I've had an Oberon cover for my Kindle for months now, and the Oberon cover for my Nook is scheduled to arrive Monday.

I can understand why you might feel hesitant about buying a cover that is so thick and heavy, but I feel confident in promising you that you'll never regret buying one.

Not to mention all the admiring glances the cover will evoke from those who see it.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-23-2010 at 07:17 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:34 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Oberon covers are heavy and thick. On the other hand, they are so incredibly beautiful that it seems a small price to pay. Because of the weight, I usually (but not always) remove my Kindle when reading.

Would I recommend one? Let me put it this way: I've had an Oberon cover for my Kindle for months now, and the Oberon cover for my Nook is scheduled to arrive Monday.

I can understand why you might feel hesitant about buying a cover that is so thick and heavy, but I feel confident in promising you that you'll never regret buying one.

Not to mention all the admiring glances the cover will evoke from those who see it.

I forgot to mention that I have an Oberon cover too, in addition to the two Noreves.

I have the Tree of Life, and it IS a beautiful-looking cover. I can recommend it has heartily as WT Sharpe.

It may be a little heavy, but I just fold mine back and start reading.

I still prefer the Noreve cover over the Oberon, but it's really a difference in philosophy - NOT in quality.

(The women who see my Oberon always 'oohh' and 'ahhh.' They don't do that when they see my two Noreves)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:44 AM   #14
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

That does it... I'm rich!
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #15
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
That does it... I'm rich!
Hehe, at least in other people's eyes you are
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote