Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Question Why does Calibre need to go to the web to convert a zipped HTML file?

I was creating LRF files from a number of zipped up HTML files I have...but Calibre hung unless I let it connect to the web.

What the heck does it need to go out to the internet for? My files are self-contained.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It doesn't
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2008, 12:42 AM   #3
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When I click the button to convert the book, my firewall (ZoneAlarm) tells me Calibre (or, more specifically calibre-parallel.exe) wants to access the internet. If I say "no", Calibre hangs and will not create the book.

If I turn on ZoneAlarm's Internet Lock before clicking on the convert book button, Calibre hangs and will not create the book.

If I disconnect my computer from the internet, and when the firewall asks if Calibre can connect to the internet, I tell it yes, it will try to connect a few times, then convert the book.

It wants to go the web for something. ZoneAlarm says it's trying to go to 127.0.0.1:Port 10013.

[a little later]

Okay, with a little digging, I see that 127.0.0.1 is a "loopback" test back to my own computer. But why does Calibre do that? Is it trying to see if my Sony Reader is attached to the computer?
Old 06-29-2008, 02:29 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre has a parallel processing architecture. Every conversion job is handed off to an independent process. These processes are controlled using TCP/IP networking. i.e. the GUI starts a server that controls these worker processes. The server runs on your computer as do the worker processes, and they talk to each other, but only on your computer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:51 AM   #5
FizzyWater

Thanks for the explanation.
Advert

Tags
calibre