Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-31-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
taspool
taspool began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3
Are frequent resets "normal"

I've had my Gen3 for several weeks now, and generally very happy with it. However I do find I need to reset it to overcome a freeze every 2 or 3 days. So maybe every hundred pages or so. Is this "normal" in other peoples experience, or does it seem excessive? The reset is not a big deal, other than having to flick through to where I'm up to again, but I'm hoping it isn't a sign of bigger problems to come.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.
Greg
taspool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by taspool View Post
... However I do find I need to reset it to overcome a freeze every 2 or 3 days....
You should check memory and sd-card for errors. And make sure you do "remove safely/stop use/whatever" when you disconnect it from the computer.

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:20 AM   #3
taspool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
You should check memory and sd-card for errors. And make sure you do "remove safely/stop use/whatever" when you disconnect it from the computer.

DrS
Yep, I use the "safely remove" process. I gather from your comment that such regular need to reset is not normal? Any particular program or utility you'd suggest I use to check memory and card for errors?
Old 04-01-2009, 02:01 AM   #4
bypass
bypass began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
I have the exact same problem with freezes. It used to be worse before the last firmware upgrade (have had my cybook for 6 mths or more) so I had assumed that it was firmware related and was hoping the next release (when!!!) fixes it permanently.

I get the problem without use of an SD card and I always eject the device correctly.

Post back on your progress with this taspool. very interested to know if you manage to solve the problem.
bypass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:03 AM   #5
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by taspool View Post
Yep, I use the "safely remove" process. I gather from your comment that such regular need to reset is not normal? Any particular program or utility you'd suggest I use to check memory and card for errors?
Nope, it is not normal, I believe. I've had mine for several months now and the only occurrences where I have to reset it is when sometimes it does not boot properly, meaning that it does not even arrive at the second stage of booting, you know, when the screen has the white background. But that happens once every two months, roughly. It still should not do it, but it is bearable.
Certainly it should not reboot whilst you are reading.
I do not know if there is a way to check the internal memory, the SD card can be checked via the normal PC instruments, ScanDisk (if you have Windows) and Defrag. That should suffice. The SD could be broken, of course, then ScanDisk should tell you.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:19 AM   #6
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Internal memory can be checked the same way after you plugged it into your computer.

You can also try to install all your books into either internal ram or on the SD card. There have been reports that this fixes crashes for people who have them (I dont).
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:19 AM   #7
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I have the 64MB version, and it freezes maybe once every month or two.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:40 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Very occasional freeze on the initial boot screen (perhaps 1 time in 50). Zero problems if it gets past that point.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
bypass
bypass began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
clarification

I should clarify that in my earlier post I was stating that I have the problem where the device fails to make it past the initial boot screen. I have no issue with operation following that (ie no crashes or freezes once actually using the device.)

the problem is infrequent but annoying as I will start the device without opening the cover to check if it has been booted and if I forget about it I believe that it chews through the battery life as it is still trying to boot. have had it go flat on me once as I did not notice the issue for a long time (18hrs?)

Not clear to me now if this is the same problem taspool is having or if there is another issue being described there.

guess I will run a check on the internal memory.
bypass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Very occasional freeze on the initial boot screen (perhaps 1 time in 50). Zero problems if it gets past that point.
The same here, though I'd say it's closer to 1 in 20 or 30.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:59 AM   #11
junior
Connoisseur
junior began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
This problem is very annoying.

In my case the problem is identified with the card reader of cybook (not the SD card). Hardware problem with the card reader of the Cybook.

I bought many SD cards, and all had the same problem. The problem is that the Cybook (with SD card) when the PC is connected to the reader of Cybook corrupts the files of the card.

Even transferring files directly to the card (without using the Cybook) with a time Cybook will corrupt the files.

Look I'm speaking only in my case.

The solution was found using only the internal memory of the Cybook (without using SD card). 4 months have passed without any problem of screen freeze.

forgiveness for my poor English.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
It can be kind of normal if you read other formats then MobiPocket.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #13
taspool

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I have defragged and scanned the memory and SD. No faults reported in that process, but in a few days I will advise if doing this has helped the problem.

It happens on different books, all of which are mobi/prc format, so doesn't seem to be one bad file. I noted the comment on fonts sometimes causing this problem, and so if it persists I will try changing that next.

I also noted the SD card file system is FAT. I can't see any reason why that would make it more freeze prone than FAT32, but it's another thing to try changing I suppose.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #14
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I have the same freezing problem. What model of the Cybook do you have taspool? I'm wondering if it's an issue with either the hardware in the newer 512 MB models or the updated firmware that comes on them.

According to this thread it is the default Verdana font that causes the issue on the 8xx firmwares. Maybe changing the font will fix the freezing issue.

Last edited by user_none; 04-05-2009 at 05:48 PM.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:01 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If the problem was generic to 8xx firmware I would have expected a lot more reports of problems. There have actually been very few.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote