Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: What will you replace your Kindle with.
BeBook 2 Model w/WiFi 5 9.80%
EZ Reader Plus model by Astak 1 1.96%
NUUT 2 by Neolux 0 0%
Boox by Onyx 1 1.96%
Txtr 4 7.84%
Other, please post 11 21.57%
I don't care, Keeping my Kindle 9 17.65%
This poll doesn't apply to me. 20 39.22%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
What will you replace your Kindle with.

Since it is apparent that Amazon thinks that Kindle owners should only be able to buy ebooks from Amazon and not be able to use libraries are you disgusted enough with them to return/sell your Kindle.

If so, what device will you replace it with. The poll contains devices that should be coming out soon with communication radios wifi/bluetooth/3g to allow for connected access to ebooks etc.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Since it is apparent that Amazon thinks that Kindle owners should only be able to buy ebooks from Amazon and not be able to use libraries are you disgusted enough with them to return/sell your Kindle.

If so, what device will you replace it with. The poll contains devices that should be coming out soon with communication radios wifi/bluetooth/3g to allow for connected access to ebooks etc.
Well, if we keep the Kindles, for amazons prices, we can then 'free' them and read them on other devices!

I'm not interested in anything you have listed, I just want a basic book reader that will let me read books from the library.

Where are those?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:49 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I'm not interested in anything you have listed, I just want a basic book reader that will let me read books from the library.

Where are those?
Basic that are available right now would be the CyBook and the Sony 505 and the EZ Reader.

I was trying to list devices that would have connectivity. So, I guess you answered "other".

BOb
Old 03-12-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
I'm sorry, why is that apparent again? (I'm confused.)
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

Where are those?
Sony 505 and 700
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Basic that are available right now would be the CyBook and the Sony 505 and the EZ Reader.

I was trying to list devices that would have connectivity. So, I guess you answered "other".

BOb
Oh, yeah.......

I checked that one.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:53 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
I'm sorry, why is that apparent again? (I'm confused.)
Please see this thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41929

I don't want to rehash that topic but really discuss the merrits of the many upcoming connected reader choices that we will be seeing on the market this year.

BOb
Old 03-12-2009, 11:54 PM   #8
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Please see this thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41929

I don't want to rehash that topic but really discuss the merrits of the many upcoming connected reader choices that we will be seeing on the market this year.

BOb
That's fine, a link is really what I was asking for.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:55 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That's fine, a link is really what I was asking for.
Understood. I didn't mean to come across so blunt.

BOb
Old 03-13-2009, 12:17 AM   #10
PhishStyx
The me that I am

Quote:
Understood. I didn't mean to come across so blunt.

BOb
I really didn't take it that way. I was much more curious as to what the hub-bub was.

My answer to the poll is that I'm probably not going to get rid of my Kindle anytime soon, but I far less sure that I'm going to get another one, as I had been thinking of getting my wife one for her birthday so that we could share book downloads and possibly then get a 3rd one for my step-daughter at Christmas with the same idea.

I think rather that I'm going to wait it out and see what Amazon does over the 7 months.

The other thing is that my wife seemed to prefer the Sony Readers over the Kindle anyway, so depending on how things turn out, I could end up selling mine and switching to that.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:52 AM   #11
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
OK, this poll doesn't apply to me, since I'm not allowed to even buy a Kindle, let alone buy ebooks from Amazon.
May I chime in anyway?

Even though I, fortunately don't have to get rid of my (non-existent) Kindle, and don't have to shiver-in-me-boots about the all knowing, omnipresent Big Brother, peering into my reader unknowingly all hours of the day and night , I must say, I'm positively drooling over the idea of PLASTIC LOGIC!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:29 AM   #12
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
so Amazon issued a DMCA notice. i dobut people will return their kindle because of it.

alot of the new readers Look great. without amazons Backing. ALL of them will fail miserably in the US atleast.

Amazon is the only ebook reader advertising. Amazon will eventually open the kindle store, if it looses the Hardware battle, or, when the hardware battle is not worth it anymore.

im Sure Amazon has Made Millions on the Kindle, and they are Investing it all back into it to make it top dog.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #13
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
The other thing is that my wife seemed to prefer the Sony Readers over the Kindle anyway, so depending on how things turn out, I could end up selling mine and switching to that.
Your wife shows excellent, shall I be so bold as to say gourmet , taste in readers. Nothing could be finer than reading on a Sony Reader, except maybe on an improved Sony Reader.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:25 AM   #14
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
I must say, I'm positively drooling over the idea of PLASTIC LOGIC!
I am, too, if it will mean I can get my daily New York Times complete (ads and all) and my The Economist (again, ads and all) on it. I know I can get the feeds now using Calibre, but it isn't the same. I really want my print versions complete but electronically and in a larger form factor than my Sony 505 can provide.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #15
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
without amazons Backing. ALL of them will fail miserably in the US at least. . . . Amazon is the only ebook reader advertising.
Sony hasn't failed in the U.S. yet lacks Amazon's backing. And Sony has been advertising, often as co-op with local stores, at least in my area of the country.

And now Barnes & Noble has bought Fictionwise. It may be a while before it ramps up, but you can bet B&N won't sit still and cede ebooks to Amazon.