Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #76
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
The type of small or large scale piracy that goes on with existing file sharing services won't really change all that much with this service imo.

It might provide a little more protection to small scale sharing since you could as Ralph said, share a file with a friend without fear that an automated search will flag it up. However, that level of assurance/protection has been available with just about any existing file sharing service by means of using something as simple as password protected zips.

Really what this change does is help Mega avoid the risk of a future site takedown because they can't know what is been shared and as soon as they do know i.e a takedown request comes in, they can remove just that one particular file or user and don't need to look for similar files across their entire site (indeed they can't).

A possible side benefit is should a data breach occur as happened with Drop box where users could access any other users account and look over all your files, the encryption would limit the damage done to any particular user.

I don't really think it will change the level of piracy that occurs. However, I do think ALL file sharing sites should provide file based encryption because of the above data breach protection.

* When I say can't I don't mean it's impossible. As mega only needs the password to obtain the encrypted keys which are stored on their service, they could acquire this in a number of ways for a specific user if they were compelled to do so, but across their entire userbase in order to do automated black listing of files, not going to happen (imho).
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #77
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Jill downloads the file, and tells John she is done. John then deletes his file. The file has been passed on, on a small scale (1 person), and there would be extremely low risk to do it.
Quite so, given that this is perfectly legal in many jurisdictions (including mine)...
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #78
Contortionist
Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
the dude is too funny. don't plan on using this, but I do plan on checking out any new rap videos he drops.
Contortionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #79
gridlewak
Enthusiast
gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
Here's another view on the encryption part of Mega, from another source. For info only. Everyone can decide for themselves what to accept. 8c) Warning though, it is a bit on the techi side.

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013...d%252Bsecurity
gridlewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #80
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by gridlewak View Post
Here's another view on the encryption part of Mega, from another source.
Surprise! Mega's encryption scheme is somewhat shoddy, and getting fixed on the fly.

Of course, that kinda misses the whole point of Mega's encryption. As Ars Technica pointed out (iirc), it's not to protect the customer. It's to protect Mega from being held responsible for copyright infringement.

Yep, I definitely want to store a copy of my data with a company that's more interested in covering its own ass, than in keeping my data secure.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #81
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
On page 1 of this thread Alexander Turcic commented on how fast the site is. Don't know if anyone has other ideas in the following pages, but my experience is totally different. I've tried to register I think four or five times now. Each time the home page takes at least 20 seconds to load and the registration page probably at least as long. When I've filled in my details it takes about five seconds to get to the Awesome page, but I've still to get a confirmatory email to my account and I still can't log in. Nor does it complain that I use the same registration details each time I try.

Well, whaddya know, I just tried again, and now I'm in. But where are my keys and how do I get them? Anyone know?
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:01 AM   #82
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
What?
Perhaps it's a bit like being gay in the US army or competitive cyclists taking drugs - everybody knows that copyright infringement is going on, even among MR members, (yes, I know, shocking), but if we don't talk about it we can't be accused of advocating it.

Last edited by TGS; 01-28-2013 at 07:13 AM.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:11 AM   #83
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We do not permit MobileRead's forums to be used to advocate piracy. Do it again and you will be banned. This is your one and only warning.
That principle is not in the current version of the posting guidelines. And i have never heard about if before and it has never been applied in any other thread.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #84
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
"entrepeneur"?! :lol:
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote