Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #781
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
It looks like touchscreen support can work on Kindle Touch too, but Kindle Touch isn't recognized yet. I can't compile kpv by myself as for now, but just for reference, here are useful bits.
Code:
[root@kindle root]# grep 'MX' /proc/cpuinfo | cut -d':' -f2 | awk {'print $2'}
MX50
For distinction between Kindle Touch and other i.MX508-based Kindles either presence of Home button, or presence of Neonode zForce touchscreen could be used:
Code:
[root@kindle root]# ls /sys/devices/platform/whitney-button/
driver     input      modalias   power      subsystem  uevent
[root@kindle root]# ls /sys/devices/platform/zforce.0/
bslreset   connected  driver     input      inputgpio  modalias   mode       power      subsystem  test       uevent     version
Home button events are available through event2. Example of evtest with pressing Home button:
Spoiler:
Code:
[root@kindle root]# evtest /dev/input/event2 
Input driver version is 1.0.0 
Input device ID: bus 0x19 vendor 0x1 product 0x1 version 0x100 
Input device name: "whitney-button" 
Supported events: 
  Event type 0 (Sync) 
  Event type 1 (Key) 
    Event code 102 (Home) 
Testing ... (interrupt to exit) 
Event: time 1351285342.043975, type 1 (Key), code 102 (Home), value 1 
Event: time 1351285342.043992, -------------- Report Sync ------------ 
Event: time 1351285342.293958, type 1 (Key), code 102 (Home), value 0 
Event: time 1351285342.293977, -------------- Report Sync ------------

Touchscreen events are available through event3. Example of evtest with touching as close to left upper corner as I could:
Spoiler:
Code:
[root@kindle root]# evtest /dev/input/event3 
Input device ID: bus 0x0 vendor 0x0 product 0x0 version 0x0 
Input device name: "zforce" 
Supported events: 
  Event type 0 (Sync) 
  Event type 1 (Key) 
    Event code 0 (Reserved) 
    Event code 1 (Esc) 
    Event code 325 (ToolFinger) 
    Event code 330 (Touch) 
    Event code 333 (Tool Doubletap) 
    Event code 334 (Tool Tripletap) 
  Event type 3 (Absolute) 
    Event code 0 (X) 
      Value      0 
      Min        0 
      Max     4095 
    Event code 1 (Y) 
      Value      0 
      Min        0 
      Max     4095 
    Event code 47 (MT Slot) 
      Value      0 
      Min        0 
      Max        1 
    Event code 53 (MT X) 
      Value      0 
      Min        0 
      Max     4095 
    Event code 54 (MT Y) 
      Value      0 
      Min        0 
      Max     4095 
    Event code 57 (MT Tracking ID) 
      Value      0 
      Min        0 
      Max      255 
Testing ... (interrupt to exit) 
Event: time 1351285403.594041, type 3 (Absolute), code 57 (MT Tracking ID), value 0 
Event: time 1351285403.594162, type 3 (Absolute), code 53 (MT X), value 212 
Event: time 1351285403.594180, type 3 (Absolute), code 54 (MT Y), value 164 
Event: time 1351285403.594995, type 1 (Key), code 330 (Touch), value 1 
Event: time 1351285403.595008, type 1 (Key), code 325 (ToolFinger), value 1 
Event: time 1351285403.595028, -------------- Report Sync ------------ 
Event: time 1351285403.644254, type 3 (Absolute), code 57 (MT Tracking ID), value -1 
Event: time 1351285403.644818, type 1 (Key), code 330 (Touch), value 0 
Event: time 1351285403.644831, type 1 (Key), code 325 (ToolFinger), value 0 
Event: time 1351285403.644843, -------------- Report Sync ------------

fake_events should work as-is.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #782
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Quote:
Ejected, press Shift-Shift-I and 'Success' message is displayed. I then press Shift-Shift-Space and again receive 'Success' message. Finally I press Shift-P-D but nothing happens?
If KPV is successfully installed, you should see a kindlepdfviewer folder in your root directory (same level with kite and launchpad).

If not, you can always manually install it. Just unzip the zip tarball and copy all the folders (kindlepdfviewer, kite and launchpad) to your root directory (when kindle mounted as USB drive)

If you plan to use launchpad, make sure that :
1) launchpad is installed (which you did)
2) kindlepdfviewer folder presents in root directory
3) there is a kpdf.ini file in launchpad dir

If you plan to use kite, make sure that :
1) kite is installed
2) in the kite directory, you see two files, namely "KPDFviewer (last file)" and "KPDFviewer File Manager"
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #783
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
It looks like touchscreen support can work on Kindle Touch too, but Kindle Touch isn't recognized yet. I can't compile kpv by myself as for now, but just for reference, here are useful bits.
hi eureka,

Thank you for your detailed report! I promise I will incorporate all these into KPV this weekend if no one beats me ;-p

So seems that KT has one more button (HOME) than PW? Also will you get events from /dev/event0 and /dev/event1?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #784
dave2008
Addict

Another great news is @chrox recently added an awesome launcher for KPV, which makes use of JBPatch. For those who are interested in:

https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfviewer/issues/648

So in short, we can open all the supported files in native system with KPV now!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #785
eureka
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
hi eureka,

Thank you for your detailed report! I promise I will incorporate all these into KPV this weekend if no one beats me ;-p

So seems that KT has one more button (HOME) than PW?
Yes. These four short black horizontal lines under a Kindle Touch screen are, in fact, Home hardware button (returning to Home screen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
Also will you get events from /dev/event0 and /dev/event1?
event0 and event1 are useless for KPV, I think. They exist, but don't belong to any "visible" input device, as I can see. I didn't dig any further:
Code:
[root@kindle root]# ls /dev/input
by-path  event0   event1   event2   event3
Code:
[root@kindle root]# evtest info /dev/input/event0
Input device ID: bus 0x18 vendor 0x0 product 0x0 version 0x0
Input device name: "WM8962 Beep Generator"
Supported events:
  Event type 0 (Sync)
  Event type 18 (Sound)
    Event code 1 (Bell)
    Event code 2 (Tone)
Code:
[root@kindle root]# evtest info /dev/input/event1
Input device ID: bus 0x0 vendor 0x0 product 0x0 version 0x0
Input device name: "imx-yoshi Headset"
Supported events:
  Event type 0 (Sync)
  Event type 1 (Key)
    Event code 256 (Btn0)
  Event type 5 (?)
    Event code 4 (?)
Old 12-05-2012, 04:17 AM   #786
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhulk View Post
... and copied kindlepdfviewer-master.zip to customupdates
This is the problem. You have downloaded the archive of the source code instead of the program itself. The program is downloadable from here:

https://github.com/chrox/kindlepdfviewer/downloads

Don't click on those stupid buttons "Download as .zip" or anything that looks like them. They are github's (very useless) way of letting users download the source code. Why useless? Because the proper way to get the source code is to clone the repository using git command.

So, instead, click on the most recent entry in the list of nightly builds. At the moment it happens to be this one:

https://github.com/downloads/chrox/k...3-gbbcc152.zip

And then do everything you did before and it will work. And if you have the old kindlepdfviewer directory it is best to remove it (to get rid of old settings etc, though "officially" this is not needed, but it is cleaner to not have any potentially useless old files lying around and confusing things).
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #787
jackhulk
Connoisseur
jackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: K3 3G
Thank you so much tigran! I was going around in circles with this last night for hours!

I will make sure to download the correct package in future use of github.com

I started from scratched, using Kite this time and with the correct files, it worked straight away.

With the nightly build, the files were already separated in to the correct directories and so just dropped them straight on to Kindle, instead of following installation guide which suggested putting them in 'customupdates' first. This leaves me wondering what's the deal with that directory? Does it make any difference that I didn't use it?
jackhulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #788
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
What you put into "customupdates" would be the ZIP itself, not its contents. It just saves you the work of unzipping and copying individual files - launchpad will do this upon Shift-Shift-I. It's just a matter of convenience.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #789
otichy
Connoisseur
otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: KPW
page down skips portion of text in fit-to-width mode

Hi,

This is an impressive piece of software. I have just updated from the first version and the reflow is amazing. Yet, it can't solve all problems and with many PDFs I am stuck with a horizontal fit-to-width orientation.
Here is what troubles me since the first version. With some PDFs when I SHIFT+S and page down, all works fine - the rest of the current page is displayed. With some however, I jump to the next page directly, missing half of the previous page.
I tried to set the box by shift+x to the whole page, toggled the P option, nothing helps. But as I say, only some PDFs behave this way...

Any help with that?
otichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #790
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I added the code for touchscreen (well enough to actually detect clicks) to the gnuboy source on my side, but I can't figure out how to detect constant "pushes". The push seems to deactivate after a certain amount of time.

I digress. My point is that this shortcoming probably wont matter in this context.
Therefore I have enough code (ripped from the mplayer Gui project) to TS enable parts of this I imagine. will have a play at some point possibly.

Or someone else can if I don't get there first. my point is the code is out there already
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #791
dave2008
Addict

@otichy, it will be more helpful if you can provide the PDF file so the developers can try to reproduce the bug.

It is prefered that you open a new issue for the bug in (requires account signup):
https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfviewer/issues

and attache the link to the pdf file in that issue so we can keep track of the bug
Old 12-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #792
dave2008
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I added the code for touchscreen (well enough to actually detect clicks) to the gnuboy source on my side, but I can't figure out how to detect constant "pushes". The push seems to deactivate after a certain amount of time.

I digress. My point is that this shortcoming probably wont matter in this context.
Therefore I have enough code (ripped from the mplayer Gui project) to TS enable parts of this I imagine. will have a play at some point possibly.

Or someone else can if I don't get there first. my point is the code is out there already
Looks awesome Have you already put your code in public?

BTW, what do you mean by constant "pushes" gesture? Is it a special event generated by TS?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #793
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi,

I made my own fork of KPV called Librerator. If anyone's interested, please see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198742.

Thank you.
Kai771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #794
eureka

As I see, chrox in Github issues is trying various methods for invoking KPV for supported file types. I think, it will be worth to him to know that system Reader booklet supports plugins. Enabled plugins are listed in reader_plugins.xml. In Kindle Touch this file is located in /opt/amazon/ebook/config/, but it looks like in PW it's embedded into /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/ReaderSDK-impl.jar (but still in a form of easily accessible text file).

I believe, that filetype-dependent part of system reader code is located in plugins that are defined in reader_plugins.xml.

yifanlu tried to reverse engineer plugin interface for 5.0.0 and implement it's own, invoked for EPUB files: https://github.com/yifanlu/KindleEPU...lu/kindle/epub. It could help, but code is in unfinished state.

(I can't post to Github right now, sorry.)
Old 12-07-2012, 02:28 AM   #795
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
I think that nobody asked about possible implementation of white-threshold before.

It would be nice to have possibility to just choose between 0 and 255 for pdf scans with darker background.

Kindle DX White has poorer contrast, 7:1 to Graphite's 10:1, so I usually transform such pdfs directly with A-Pdf-to-Black-White application or k2pdfopt or sometimes indirectly by exporting pdf to images and then back to pdf after tone adjustment.

Will this pose a problem ?

Last edited by markom; 12-07-2012 at 03:29 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote