Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Question Just rerooted after 6.3 with the Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.5

It wasn't too bad. I had to run through the steps to get the Android Market back which was a pain.

Anybody else use the FireFireFire method to get rooted after the 6.3 update?

Here's the link to the new Kindle Fire Utility which works with 6.3:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1399889
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
It wasn't too bad. I had to run through the steps to get the Android Market back which was a pain.

I decided not to root again.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I have a question. Say you were rooted then unrooted and went back to stock, then something general goes wrong and you had e send it in to Amazon. Will they be able to tell it was previously rooted or will they be unable to tell and honor the warranty?
Old 04-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #4
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
My Android Market survived update to 6.3 as well as the rooting process. But I know some KF owners, who lost apps, others the market as well. Seems every KF behaves in some other way ...
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
I decided not to root again.
Aww, don't give up!

Oh and... If the app is not compatible, it'll remove itself when you apply a new update because the /system/build.prop would have been overwritten.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #6
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Aww, don't give up!

Oh and... If the app is not compatible, it'll remove itself when you apply a new update because the /system/build.prop would have been overwritten.
I decided it just didn't do enough for me to bother. I don't need the android market as badly as I thought and there really wasn't any other reason for me to do it.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
My fire stayed rooted after the update.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:46 AM   #8
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Sorry, just can't believe, would be the first behaving like this. They even implemented a file checking the root-status at each boot.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #9
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Any idea why?
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Ramer84015
Ramer84015 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Any idea why?
For me, I installed the unsecured rooted 6.3 rom from xda forums before the update was pushed to me, and it never got pushed to me, so I stayed rooted.
Ramer84015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Any idea why?
I'm wondering if dida only got a partial install or something.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
I have a question. Say you were rooted then unrooted and went back to stock, then something general goes wrong and you had e send it in to Amazon. Will they be able to tell it was previously rooted or will they be unable to tell and honor the warranty?
I'm pretty sure they won't even bother to check. Once they have it in their hands, it's more cost-effective for them to swap out the device with a refurb, then do some sort of certification process on the returns to validate the hardware is ok and re-flash from scratch. No point in doing ANY software troubleshooting when they can start anew in a couple minutes.
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #13
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
So at this point I'm still apparently successfully blocking the 6.3 update.

I'm hoping to not have to re-root from scratch after I bite the bullet and manually do the update. My plan is to stuff /system/xbin/su someplace that will preserve the permissions and not get blown away by the update. Then after the update I can merely run my preserved su to become root and put su back in /system/xbin (and remove the new root check). I can reinstall the superuser apk if needed, but I don't think it'll go anywhere. I THINK that will keep me "rooted". At the very least it will preserve what I need to put the GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk back in place so my google calendar will work.

My Market survived 2 or 3 previous software updates. Not sure what the differentiating factor is there - maybe it depends on what apk you started out with and whether it had been updated in the past.
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #14
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Hi I am not, nor will I ever be, Rooted.

But strangely I turned on my Wifi in a very strong free public Wifi area in a local mall on sunday to "update" an Amazon app that inexplicably began demanding an internet connection to run ( Autodesk Sketch book mobile paid version)

Anyway I made the "Sketch book mobile" App happy to have "called home to mommy" I guess as it now runs fine with the wi fi off.

However I hit the synch to cloud button several times and got notices about updates to a few other apps from AMZN
But my system software still sits at 6.2 and the update button next to it it stays greyed out( inactive)

I know I can go to the amzn website and get the
250+megabyte "bin" file and manually update via USB side load but I dont plan to bother as I have zero need for the "enhancements" offered this time around any way.

Cheers
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #15
dengar
Connoisseur
dengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with others

Device: PW2, K3, Ipad 4, Kindle Fire
Well...I gave up and loaded the Cyanogen rom on my Fire. No more Amazon update, no more worries
dengar is offline   Reply With Quote