Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Rylos07
Rylos07 began at the beginning.

Device: none
ebook page dimensions - what size???

My gosh, I have search high and low and I can find maybe one page from early 2009 on ebook page formatting. So frustrating. Frustrating because I do not know what I am doing!

Please, what are the best or most common page dimensions for ebooks in early 2011?

I am currently in PDF form and had been using 5.5" x 7" (8.5" x 11" w/1.5" mar L&R and 2" mar T&B. This does not look so good.

Been using latest: Open Writer > PDF Tools 4 > PDF Viewer.
These are children's books my father wrote. We immagine some will read on a ebook reader hand held and many or most will print.

Please help. I have been creating the website, setting up pay options, formatting documents, editing art work, fighting with .css, etc. and I am burned out! This is for my 84 year old father.

Peace and Blessings
Rylos
Old 12-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylos07 View Post
My gosh, I have search high and low and I can find maybe one page from early 2009 on ebook page formatting. So frustrating. Frustrating because I do not know what I am doing!

Please, what are the best or most common page dimensions for ebooks in early 2011?

I am currently in PDF form and had been using 5.5" x 7" (8.5" x 11" w/1.5" mar L&R and 2" mar T&B. This does not look so good.

These are children's books my father wrote. We immagine some will read on a ebook reader hand held and many or most will print.

Please help. I have been creating the website, setting up pay options, formatting documents, editing art work, fighting with .css, etc. and I am burned out! This is for my 84 year old father.

Peace and Blessings
Rylos
If it really must be a PDF, then the most common ebook readers at the moment have a 6" diagonal, with 3:4 aspect ratio, which works out at 3.6" by 4.8"

So that should be your page size. Do not add large margins - 0.1" is plenty for the text, and there's a good argument for having none for pictures - let your pictures go right to the edge. (The screen of the ebook reader doens't go right to the edge of the device - that gives plenty of 'margin'.)
Old 12-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Rylos07

Thanks much! That changes everything...unfortunately.

Peace and Blessings
Rylos
Old 01-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
valex
Enthusiast
valex began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
There is no definitive answer unfortunately. Even though majority of e-readers use 6" screens, the presence of various extra elements (status bars, menu bars, etc) makes dimensions of area actually used for displaying PDF unique for each device. So the pages in your file will be zoomed in/out according to those physical dimensions which, combined with specific fonts you use, may result in drastic differences in image quality, sharpness of the text, etc. See this message which provides text area dimensions for different e-readers:

http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...=553341#553341

Ignore the Russian comments, all the data you need are in English.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All this is why PDF is not a good choice of format for an eBook, UNLESS you are formatting it for one specific device.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
Rylos07

Well, it started out with PDF for computers and laptops by my father. But wanting it to translate well to eReaders I am all lost.

I would like to protect my content as much as possible, but do not with to use DRM. But I guess I kind of am if my .pdf has a password protecting the pages. Yea, I know, these pw's can be broken.

If anyone has a good suggestion for a cheap quality tool for putting ebooks onto a good eReader format that would be great!

- Do you do .pdf files And other formates for your ebooks for PC/laptop reading verses eReaders?

- Also, what do you start in? OO Writer or the actual program that puts out the format you prefer?

- What page layout do you use? Mirrored, right to left?

-What about smart phones? What file/program do you use for that? And what are your considered general page size?

All I have is Word 2003, current Open Office, and PDF Tools 4 Pro

Thanks much!
Peace and Blessings
Rylos

Last edited by Rylos07; 01-21-2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Tons of questions
Old 05-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
loyukfai
Zealot
loyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura about

Knowing that PDF is not a suitable eBook format, for some reasons I'm still trying to adopt it as my main format. So, my question is, what's the suitable page size for displaying on a 7" devices like the Galaxy Tab or NookCOLOR...?

Cheers.

Edit: To answer my own question, I'm using 90 x 150mm, 10/11 font size, 1.25/1.50 line spacing, and 10-15mm margins on manybooks.net

But these are preliminary numbers, need to get my hands on a real device to determine the optimal numbers.

Edit 2: To maximize the screen usage, it seems a better idea to put the blank space/margins outside the normally viewable area, and only show them when needed (e.g. making annotations), so the paper size could be 120 x 180mm with 15mm margins. With ezPDF on Android you can use the "Fitting to Text Column" feature to maximize the viewing area.

Edit 3: And one may want to increase the margins for technical books which making annotations are more likely. Although a 7" screen is probably not optimal for reading such anyway. A 10" screen seems more suitable...

Preparing the files for a 7" screen using Word, the page size could be 120 x 180 with 15mm margins, 12pt font size, 1.15 spacing. It's also possible to specify a background colour but normally Word doesn't print it, have to go into Options and change the settings.

Last edited by loyukfai; 05-20-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
PDFs can be zoomed to fit the width. So don't worry about sizes. Just make sure all the pages and side margins are congruent. Here's why: On my iPod touch I've been using GoodReader for about two years now. It has this very useful horizontal lock feature that once you reach the zoom level you want, you tap that button and you can only scroll vertically. I'm reading PDFs by holding it sideways (bottom button): http://k.min.us/ic9dcE.png

And it's incredibly annoying when an author doesn't use the same margin width for each page because I have to mess around with the zoom, go back and forth... Anyway. Congruency.

Word 2010 with Adobe Acrobat X, though not perfect, is probably the pinnacle of PDF creation. But no matter the software you choose, always keep the original .odt, .doc, .docx or .rtf, just in case. You never know when you're gonna need them or what format will come out 5 years from now. And it will make converting them so much more easier.

Last edited by DSpider; 05-19-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Page size still matters, even after you zoom to width since the larger page can still result in long lines and tiny text on small screen devices. The fix is either to define a reasonable page size or to use very large sized text. Either solution will work but just depending on zoom to width is not enough.

Dale
Old 06-09-2011, 07:19 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I agree. If you make a PDF, use a page size fitted exactly for your target size.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:26 AM   #11
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I agree. If you make a PDF, use a page size fitted exactly for your target size.
That's what I do when making PDFs for my ereader, I make the page size the same as my ereader's text space. This makes formatting ebooks easy since the appear on my computer screen the same way they will appear on my ereader's screen, and it allows me to identify and correct any formatting problems before I generate the PDF.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #12
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Page size still matters, even after you zoom to width since the larger page can still result in long lines and tiny text on small screen devices. ...
Size DOES NOT matter to the ereader. The only time page size matters is when the person creating the PDF has to decide what size the text should be.

If you use the conventional "letter" page size you must use a distinctly larger point size for the type than you would normally use for a PDF intended for printout. If you use a page size roughly matching the size of a typical ereader screen then you can use the point sizes you are used to using for the text.

Regardless of page size, you should:
1. chose an page aspect ration near 3:4
2. omit any margins or use a very, very small one
3. choose a point size so that no more than 45 characters, preferably only 35-40, in a single line of text,
Old 06-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #13
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
No margins ? That's... um... No, you have to have margins. Else it feels like you're reading a .txt file.

Page dimension doesn't matter, unless the height is a little much. That would probably force the reader to split the page and the next page will only have a few lines on it... So you'll have one full page, one 1/6 page, one full page, etc.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
thegreedyfish
thegreedyfish began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:

Peace and Blessings
Rylos
Hi Rylos,
Did you fix your formatting issues? I hope so and would love to see your finished product!

I am currently facing a similar problem where I have a kids picture book ready to go - all text can be embedded in the pictures - but regardless of that what is the best dimension to produce each picture/page in so that it fits well on the majority of devices?

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Dennis
Old 07-31-2014, 05:45 AM   #15
pantera10684
Enthusiast
pantera10684 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
page size is not issue, main thing is font size in page.
Closed Thread