Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
Extreme Editing

I just slashed more than 10,000 words from my novel draft. Boy did that hurt.

That makes over 80,000 words cut since January. I started with one novel at 50k and the other at 185k and they're both now sitting at a hair above 100k.

The 185k book (Lethe) was drafted when I was an oblivious practitioner of loggorrhea (via over-description and ultra-petty minute action).

In revising I came across repeated scenes, and didn't cut just one of them, I cut both.

Painful work, but I think the end result will be much more readable. The loss of detail will also make it a bit more mysterious, though hopefully not too cryptic.
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
J. Dean
Author: Clade Josso
J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That happens, man. You think it's great when you first put it down, then you (or somebody editing for you) go back through it and realize that things have to change. It's not always fun, but (generally) it's good for the novel.
J. Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
Tricorp
Enthusiast
Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Tricorp writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
You hear about writers that need to learn how to cut things, but I have never heard of a writer that cuts too much. I am sure your novel is better for the cuts.
Tricorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree with Tricorp. That's a big chunk to cut out. I'd say put it aside for now and go back to it a few weeks from now and see if it still makes sense and has all the salient facts a reader needs to know about it.

Joyce
Serendipity House
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
That's the kind of editing I call shrediting.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The really big chunk I just removed is exciting and full of description, but it kind of just delays and sidetracks the story. Also, something happens in this scene that raises questions about the plausibility of what transpires elsewhere, so I think I made the right decision. It just hurts to see all those days and days of writing flushed away.

I also removed three minor characters and reduced anothers' prominence to a cameo. I liked those characters. They interest me. It hurts to lose them. But I think ... again, that I made the write decision.

What's even more striking is that with that cut from 185k to 102k I've also probably written about 20k of entirely new stuff, so I've actually cut about 100k. It amazes me that that book still looks anything like my draft.

I never used to be able to be so brutal with my writing. Maybe it means I'm learning how to be a better writer. I hope.

We'll see in about a month when I expect to finish this thing.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:16 AM   #7
NickSpalding
Addict
NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I usually work to the formula: Second draft = first draft minus 10%, but sounds like you 've gone well beyond that.

I love editing something down almost more than writing it in the first place.

This probably means I'm strange.
NickSpalding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
ASparrow
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSpalding View Post
I usually work to the formula: Second draft = first draft minus 10%, but sounds like you 've gone well beyond that.

I love editing something down almost more than writing it in the first place.

This probably means I'm strange.

My pleasure kicks in at about draft number four. By that time the painful decisions are over and its just a matter of sanding down and adding some sheen.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
ASparrow
Addict

I'm down to 96.5K now (from 185K) and that's after adding some new stuff. I still have some chaff to reap and then my book will start growing again. But not too much more, I'm at the climax of the story right now, all that's left is resolution.

My goal is to have this ready for Beta Readers by the end of June (or July 15, at the latest, before I go to Ethiopia.)

Any Beta readers interested perusing a fantasy about the afterlife for copy/consistency errors?

I have to warn folks that the story's pretty weird. You won't recognize much from other authors' depiction of the afterlife, except maybe for Dante and the Purgatorio.

It's also mostly written in first person, present tense, which I know some people find annoying to read, but I find exhilarating to write.

The structure is pretty traditional, with a quest and a satisfying yet intriguing ending, unlike Xenolith.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
ASparrow
Addict

Yahoo!

Down to 92K and still more to cut. This one's going to be sleek. It's got the chewiest, pithiest structure of anything I've ever tried to write. Not to mention, a mind-blowing ending.

I know it's going to alienate some readers, but I think I have something special here, and I'm not one to be proud of my own work. Of course this could simply be the euphoria of the new. If I let it sit a month, maybe it will begin to fester.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
J. Dean
Author: Clade Josso
J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The real question is this: have you ever ADDED a ton when editing?
J. Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
NickSpalding
Addict
NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dean View Post
Oh good grief, yes. When I was younger and trying to write a book I'd probably slap in an extra twenty percent in the second draft, taking the 'kitchen sink' approach to writing that didn't serve me well at all.

You get so caught up in your own...er...'genius' when you first start writing that the temptation to add another punchy adverb or stick in a bit of extra description about the heroine's breats size is almost too much to bear.
NickSpalding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:59 AM   #13
ASparrow
Addict

This is getting ridiculous. I'm at 89k now. The euphoria has blown over as I realize that I probably will have to add a bunch at the end of this process.

But a lot of the stuff I cut was chaff. My characters were dilly-dallying and not advancing the plot. There was a lot of detailed description and uninteresting introspection but very little tension.

I liked a lot of the scenes I cut. They resonated with me because they were based on places and situations that I have personally experienced, but I can't see other readers being engaged with it.

The new stuff I add will replace fat with muscle. My main hurdle now will be keeping the final climax from being too trite.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #14
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Do you guys generally save what you cut in a separate file? I usually do when I cut big chunks out, because you never know when you could use it (in an altered form of course) in the future for another book.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #15
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dean View Post
Actually, I think I need to add about 15k to draft 2. .. I'm at 62 now, which is down from the 65 I had in november. But, I want to have 80 by the end of June. Which won't happen, especially with JuNo coming up.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote