Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
One Day Dollar Sale: The Legend of Oescienne - The Finding (Kindle)

The Legend of Oescienne - The Finding, by Jenna Elizabeth Johnson, is on sale today for $1.00. This is the first book in a fantasy series aimed at adolescent and young adult readers (or those who enjoy young adult fiction). This book was first released at $10 (which I personally think was much too high) and there is no guarantee it won't return to that level after the sale (but I think it'll be closer to $4 or $5), so grab a sample and, if you enjoy it, be sure not to miss this sale price. The sale has been advertised as a 24 hour one, although it may last a bit longer than that, I would not count on it. I read thru just a few pages and went ahead and bought it. The only problem I saw was an occasional missed space between words (I assume an artifact of the Kindle DTP system conversion) and it was both interesting and well written

Book Description
When the dragon Jaax receives word that a human infant has been found in the province of Oescienne, he doesn’t dare believe it. Humans have been extinct for centuries, trapped by a terrible curse and left to live out their existence in the form of dragons. Despite his doubts, however, Jaax assumes responsibility for the baby girl only to discover that what he has been seeking for so many years has finally been found . . .

Jahrra knows all about the legends and sagas of Oescienne, but never in her wildest dreams would she believe that she played a part in one of them. She’s far too busy dodging the bullies at school and seeking out new adventures with her friends to worry about what secrets her dragon mentor might be keeping from her, or that her every move is being watched by something living in the forest surrounding her home.
But the secrets run deep, and as Jahrra fights to earn her place in this extraordinary world, she will begin to unravel the truth of it all: that she isn’t as safe as she thought she was, that danger lurks around every corner, and that her role in this unfurling tale is far more significant than she could possibly imagine.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This sounds like an interesting Children's Fantasy.

I taught English Literature while working on my Ph.D in English (not completed), and currently teach the equivalent of 8th grade English here in Peru.

Unfortunately, there are no reviews of this book on Amazon. Upon further searching, I found a link to the author's website - she is also an artist - where there is a lot of information about her created world and the creatures who inhabit that world.

Here's the link:

http://oescienne.com/artwork

Don

Ok: Back to zombies and dead things!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Ummm... Amazon says the list price is $1, reduced to $1. I'm going to go ahead and pick it up in case they increase the list price and raise the price that they sell it for.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Ummm... Amazon says the list price is $1, reduced to $1. I'm going to go ahead and pick it up in case they increase the list price and raise the price that they sell it for.
That is an error.

Actually, in my research about her, I found out that she previously had the Kindle edition priced at $4.29, then lowered it to $1.00. Originally, she had the book priced at $10.00 She was reluctant to lower the price too much, because as she mentions, she put her heart and soul into it. The important thing, she adds, is that she wants her book read.

I'm going to buy it, too, as soon as I'm through posting here. Check out her website with her artwork. Very nicely done, in my opinion.

Don
Old 08-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don, thanks for the link on her web site. For self-published work, it seems well written; there are a couple of spots with spaces missing between words, as I said, but I suspect it is due to a doc/html to kindle issue (I'm reading a non-self-published paper book now that isn't as well done, as far as writing style). From the description, I expected something aimed at a much younger audience, but it really reads more for older teens or adults. And it isn't a short novel, either.
Advert
Old 08-16-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Don, thanks for the link on her web site. For self-published work, it seems well written; there are a couple of spots with spaces missing between words, as I said, but I suspect it is due to a doc/html to kindle issue (I'm reading a non-self-published paper book now that isn't as well done, as far as writing style). From the description, I expected something aimed at a much younger audience, but it really reads more for older teens or adults. And it isn't a short novel, either.
I've been looking through it, reading some pages here and there, but not committed to it as yet, since I'm reading something else.

I agree with you: This Fantasy novel looks to be for an older audience - and (as you state), it's a LONG novel. This looks like a very good read.

Thanks for posting the information on this novel.

Don
Old 08-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Well, it is at $4.29 now
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Still a good deal, IMO. I think the one day sale went just a bit over two days; too bad she didn't extend it for the full weekend, though.