Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-05-2009, 07:44 AM   #16
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
possibly ... experience, though, suggests beware of unintentional 'bugs' ....
Exerience suggests to me to beware a lot more of intentional bugs

Last edited by YGG-; 07-05-2009 at 07:51 AM.
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:51 AM   #17
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
The first impressions on the Opus are discussed (in English) on the meetup thread on the French forum:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50232

I thought it was very nice, very small and a nice shape. I was afraid the screen would be too small but it's actually only slightly less wide than the cybook's (and somewhat less high), so the length of a reading line is still good. It also supports automatic switching from portrait to landscape mode.

It does not support mobi, but epub (and html and txt and pdf? not sure about that).
I agree: special kudos to
  • choice of orientation (accelerometer, there we are!) : you can hold it in portrait or landscape mode as Chlorine mentions, and also right-handed or left-handed (thanks for them),
  • two well thought-out buttons on the side of the screen to flip pages,
  • a menu button & a back button on either side of the familiar, central four ways selector we all know and love
  • 1 Go memory!
Minor gripe : they had to switch to micro-SD.

Last edited by YGG-; 07-05-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Advert
Old 07-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #18
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
How is the screen size. That's my major concern. 5" vs 6" doesn't sound like much of a difference.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:07 AM   #19
YGG-
Dry fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
How is the screen size. That's my major concern. 5" vs 6" doesn't sound like much of a difference.
There's not much of a difference; actually we found it amazing :
  • the global form factor is really much smaller : I fit the opus in my trousers' pocket! (don't even dream of this w/ the CyBook),
  • the screen looks only marginally smaller (like Chlorine mentioned elsewhere); and in landscape mode, you do have a comfortable line length...
  • the price should be around 250€ w/ a goodlooking cover...
[then you should convert your "device" tagline to "dreaming of a Bookeen Opus" ]

Last edited by YGG-; 07-05-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:17 AM   #20
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGG- View Post
[then you should convert your "device" tagline to "dreaming of a Bookeen Opus" ]
Well, I'm undecided at the moment... but I'll make a change.
Advert
Old 07-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #21
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Well, I'm undecided at the moment... but I'll make a change.
If Interead isn't delivering its goods real soon, I might jump ship and get an Opus (any date on that?)
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #22
YGG-
Dry fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
If Interead isn't delivering its goods real soon, I might jump ship and get an Opus (any date on that?)
They say later this month; so you should be able to walk in a Parisian store (at least) & buy one before AUG1rst... You read it here first; but don't hold me liable if... (& please stop the stereotypes about French being late etc. )
& remember : it will be ePub, so no MOBI & no Linux (Chlorine mentioned sth about Adobe dropping support for Linux, right, Chlorine?).

Last edited by YGG-; 07-05-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #23
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
I heard NextMonday© at a time about the release of the Opus....

Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:39 AM   #24
YGG-
Dry fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
I heard NextMonday© at a time about the release of the Opus....

I'm afraid "next monday" begins to sound like "the check is in the mail".
Old 07-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #25
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGG- View Post
it will be ePub, so no MOBI & no Linux (Chlorine mentioned sth about Adobe dropping support for Linux, right, Chlorine?).
As far as I know there was any support for epub from adobe for linux: Adobe Digital Editions, which is mandatory (if I got it right) for reading drm'd epub is only available for windows and mac os.
What I was saying was that in the past, adobe promised a digital editions for linux: in their FAQ it was stated it was under development and would come out before the end of the year (I think it was 2007).
Since then not only did it not come out, but adobe removed the announce for the linux version from its FAQ. So it does not look as if they have any intention of developing a linux version.

DRM-free epub would perfectly work with a linux computer though.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #26
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Acctually, both Gen3 and opus will have two firmware version. (Or so i unserstand from the note on the opus's box about mobipocket)

Quote:
As far as I know there was any support for epub from adobe for linux: Adobe Digital Editions, which is mandatory (if I got it right) for reading drm'd epub is only available for windows and mac os.
Yes. When downloading drm'ed epub, it give you a link that ade only can open.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 07-05-2009 at 12:48 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:35 AM   #27
Crusader
Space Cadet

I e-mailed Expansys and they don't have any ETA on either the Opus or 512MB Gen 3. Best advice they had is to check back often.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:40 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
What I was saying was that in the past, adobe promised a digital editions for linux: in their FAQ it was stated it was under development and would come out before the end of the year (I think it was 2007).
Since then not only did it not come out, but adobe removed the announce for the linux version from its FAQ. So it does not look as if they have any intention of developing a linux version.
Clearly there is a Linux version, since Linux is what the Sony Reader, CyBook, iRex devices, etc etc, all run, and they all either currently or shortly will support ADE. There is, however, as you say, no desktop Linux version.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #29
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Clearly there is a Linux version, since Linux is what the Sony Reader, CyBook, iRex devices, etc etc, all run, and they all either currently or shortly will support ADE. There is, however, as you say, no desktop Linux version.
That's very interesting, I wasn't aware of that.
I thought that the key to reading drm-ed epub was a windows computer, which would use ADE to decrypt the file, and would somehow store it in clear on the reader.
But of course that doesn't make sense, because if the book was stored unencrypted on the reader then it would be possible to fetch it from the reader and then copy it, which wouldn't do from ADE's point of view.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #30
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I thought that the key to reading drm-ed epub was a windows computer, which would use ADE to decrypt the file, and would somehow store it in clear on the reader.
I don't know if there is a published explanation of ADEPT, but looking from the outside what seems to happen is that the Windows/OSX desktop ADE is required to a) download DRMed ebooks and b) register EInk devices connected via USB to your AdobeID (a one time operation). Coming from a MOBI background, the ePub/PDF file acts as if it has up to 6 "PIDs" for 6 devices in the file. The PIDs come from your AdobeID account. This might be wrong in detail, but it is a working model of what happens. So if your EInk device is registered with your AdobeID, any ePub/PDF file you download using Desktop ADE will work under mobile ADE on the EInk device. Note that mobile ADE decrypts the epub/PDF on the Reader.

If an EInk device had internet access, I don't know if it could register its own AdobeID and download its own ePub/PDF files or not.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote