Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to pay?
up to $ 5.-- 7 9.46%
up to $ 10,-- 6 8.11%
up to $ 20,-- 13 17.57%
more then $ 20.-- 4 5.41%
I'll never pay for a FW update 44 59.46%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2009, 03:04 AM   #1
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Would you pay for new features?

It's nice to get all the new features for free and with software it is that easy... But if you can get wanted/needed features just for money, would you be willing to pay?!

Let's assume there is a FW available with this features:
- either Mobi/ePub with DRM plus the other format without DRM
- reflowable PDF plus enhanced support (zooming, links etc.)
- enhanced HTML support
- freely definable buttons
- own starting picture

Note: It's all about NEW features, NOT just fixing bugs!!!

(This one's for you Michael... )

Last edited by gerraldo; 07-13-2009 at 05:43 AM.
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:28 AM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I'd feel cheated if a company started charging for firm ware upgrades.

It's covered by the purchase price imho, I'd probably switch to another device rather than support that model.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2009, 03:54 AM   #3
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
It's covered by the purchase price imho, I'd probably switch to another device rather than support that model.
Sorry, but you don't "support" a device/company by using the reader - you've bought it, that's all that matters...

And no, it's not covered by the purchase price. Just because it's software and not any material goods, doesn't means its always free. Yes, they're programming some new features to stay in competition, but you've already got, for what you've paid! And there are some features they'd need to spend money for license fees (besides paying their programmers).

It's very nice of ALL companies that give us new features and stuff for free - be gratefull, it's NOT some kind of birthright you've bought with the device!!!
Old 07-12-2009, 03:56 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I'd feel cheated if a company started charging for firm ware upgrades.
Apple do it for the iPod Touch and nobody seems to mind. And, of course, it's entirely normal for software companies to charge for major upgrades to applications, which new purchasers get in the purchase price.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-12-2009 at 03:59 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I would pay for new features in Cybook. I won't pay for the features that were promised to be delivered when I bought the Cybook - I consider them part of the offer, and Bookeen's delay in delivering them as their failure in the ongoing deal.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
In one word: NO!
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #7
etherspin
Connoisseur
etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
if it added enough then yes, for sure, its like purchasing windows xp after having 98 or os x leopard after tiger .. thats IF the new features are enough
etherspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #8
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
I would pay for new features in Cybook. I won't pay for the features that were promised to be delivered when I bought the Cybook - I consider them part of the offer, and Bookeen's delay in delivering them as their failure in the ongoing deal.
In that case I feel sorry for Bookeen...

To Bookeen: Please accept my deepest sympathy!
Old 07-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I wouldn't pay, but it isn't because I feel they owe me, or they should give them for free. I don't need them, those features give me nothing, I don't need them so.. why should I pay? There're bery few features I would want to add and none of these is included.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
There're bery few features I would want to add and none of these is included.
Now I'm hooked... Please tell me, what would that be?!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Intersting topic.

In a "normal" situation, the answer would be "NO".

Then there is a fact : e-reader market is still small; Even in the best case scenario , you don't sell that many e-readers.
Big companies (ie sony, amazon), can rely on money generated by more profitable branches. Companies like bookeen making only e-reader eventually suffer of this.

If is prise is reasonable, if it mean more frequents update and the features are worth it, why not.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #12
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
I voted for "No", but as EowynCarter wrote, if the features are worth it, I might reconsider.

There are quite some iPod Touch users who don't buy the new update. But this may also be due to the fact that the update is free for iPhone users.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #13
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
Now I'm hooked... Please tell me, what would that be?!
They're very, very simple: number of page where I am, bookmark selection (not having to navigate through all of them) and I don't know if another one would be interesting. None of the ones you have mentioned are interesting for my reading.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:05 PM   #14
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Depends on the new features.

If users paid for updates, maybe it would motivate Bookeen to greater responsibility.
No more blowing off customers' requests for new features, sticking to announced release dates, better communication on Bookeen's part.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #15
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
I believe it would be only fair to pay for new features (mind you, not the nes promised when I bought the cybook for my girlfriend) and enable bookeen to invest further in the software...

cheers,
kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote