Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2015, 08:13 PM   #1
YarnerT
YarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo touch home and library screens overlapping text

Hi, I haven't used my Kobo touch for a while, and I went to charge it and add some overdrive epub books which it did fine. Then I noticed that on the top of the home screen the search bar overlaps the top text of the screen.

Also in my library the screen doesn't refresh. The text just keeps overlapping making my list of books unreadable. The screen refreshes fine when I read a book though. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you!
YarnerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:54 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I am not taking the mickey - have you tried turning it off and on again? (Fully off, not just sleeping). Does it have any hacks or tweaks installed? Beyond that, I'd probably head straight for a factory reset, unless someone else has any other suggestion.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2015, 11:41 PM   #3
YarnerT
YarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to behold

Thanks for the reply. I've tried turning it on and off, soft reset, plugging it back into the computer to charge, syncing via computer and wifi. There is nothing installed. The only thing I ever installed was a firmware update once when it wouldn't install automatically, and that was suggested by Kobo. I was hoping not to have to do a factory reset, as I will lose all my awards and reading stats. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:18 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What f/w build is it running?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:39 PM   #5
YarnerT

It's running the lastest firmware. Thanks
Advert
Old 12-31-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why not take a backup of the file system that you see when USB connected, and then try a factory reset.

You can then easily restore the database (or even the entire file system).
Old 12-31-2015, 05:29 PM   #7
YarnerT

Thanks for the reply. Would that allow me to keep my stats and such? The books are not a problem because they are all saved in adobe digital editions, and can easily be reloaded. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2015, 06:32 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarnerT View Post
Thanks for the reply. Would that allow me to keep my stats and such? The books are not a problem because they are all saved in adobe digital editions, and can easily be reloaded. Thanks!
Yes. Copy everything of the visible partition when connected, including hidden directories. Then after doing the factory reset, you can restore these files and everything will be back to normal.

Before that, you can try manually reinstalling the firmware. Make sure you get the right firmware package for your Touch and install all files from the package.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:32 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

The stats are all stored in the database. Hopefully davidfor sees this and chimes in with his advice.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #10
ABAPKobo
ABAPKobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905B + N905B
Cool N905B Overlapping & Jumbled Text

I seem to be having a similar issue, but only with the N905B (I also own an N905 and it is not experiencing this). I have tried multiple factory resets and manually installed different firmware versions. Only the latest 3.19.5613 firmware is causing an issue.

The UI text formatting and positioning in nickel is all wrong, and the device seems to shut off during some operations like processing content. It is also displaying what I assume is the same overlapping that YarnerT is talking about.

Strangely, if I install Kobo Start Menu, koreader and pbchess, they all seem to work normally. I have installed numerous hacks and tweaks in the past, so my first thought was that I somehow corrupted or changed files on the internal SD that don't get wiped out by a factory reset. However it seems less likely since only one firmware version is affected.

I've uploaded some pictures of the the black unaffected N905 on the left, and the problem white N905B on the right: http://imgur.com/a/tHlyx

This device has nothing important on it and I won't be bothered much if it gets bricked, so I'd be grateful if anyone has any tips or ideas to try out.
ABAPKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is the affected N905B patched? If it is, install a fresh firmware. If not, try installing patches.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Any user defined fonts installed?
Old 01-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #13
ABAPKobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is the affected N905B patched? If it is, install a fresh firmware. If not, try installing patches.
It didn't seem to make a difference one way or another. I'm going to try tracking down an SD card image and starting from scratch. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:00 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The sceenshots make it look like the wrong font size is being used. And the italic font is missing on most screens. My first thought was that the large font patch had been incorrectly installed. But, it's probably more like some parts of nickel as using the wrong device for the font size calculations. My guess is that it's using the sizes for a Glo.

When you did the factory reset, did you manually upgrade the firmware, or let it download? Is there a chance that someone has pulled the SD card out and fiddled with the restore partition?

And for my curiosity what's in the "version" file? This is in the ".kobo" directory. The first part it the serial number, so you might want to obscure everything in it after the first five characters.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #15
ABAPKobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Any user defined fonts installed?
Not that I can recall. None since the factory reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
When you did the factory reset, did you manually upgrade the firmware, or let it download? Is there a chance that someone has pulled the SD card out and fiddled with the restore partition?
First I used the direct firmware link and self-registered. The language selection and set-up screens were completely black but still tappable. Afterwards I reset, updated and registered via Kobo Desktop but ended up with the home screen looking the same way each time. The internal SD hasn't been removed (yet).

Quote:
And for my curiosity what's in the "version" file? This is in the ".kobo" directory. The first part it the serial number, so you might want to obscure everything in it after the first five characters.
Code:
N905B--------,2.6.35.3,3.19.5613,2.6.35.3,2.6.35.3,00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000310
Same as my N905 (minus the serial).

UPDATE: I replaced the internal SD card with a completely separate one written with a stock N905B image. On first boot it had the same black screen issue, but aside from that appeared to be displaying normally. After restarting the device the same display issues have appeared again, along with some other weird behaviour and random shutdowns.

I guess this is either some type of firmware issue, or a fault with my device which just happens to affect the latest firmware. For now I'll put the working 3.18 on the new SD but I can still try any ideas or fixes on the old card, assuming this affects more devices.

Last edited by ABAPKobo; 01-06-2016 at 05:49 PM. Reason: updated information