Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #1
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Do you Have to Register the Kobo to use it?

Glo HD.

1 What would Not work if I didnt register it with Kobo?
2 Can I side load ebooks without using the ADE?

What Good, Bad or Ugly things will happen IF I dint register it? I know I had to add my Kindle Keyboard & the PW2 [briefly had] with Amazon Just to get my collections to work. But what about the Kobo?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:15 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You cannot use it at all without registering. Unlike the Kindle, there is no way to bypass the registration prompt.

Note that you can trivially fake the registration by running an SQL command (posted in several places on this subforum) to add a fake user to the database. No jailbreak required.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2016, 04:46 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
While I guess you could say that a "fake" registration, is a registration, but with it you can use your device without actually registering. If you zero out the database "user" entry, nothing is registered with anybody.

I don't use the Kobo stock software to sync or read ebooks, so I can't tell you what not registering with Kobo disables. I don't use "collections". The readers I use don't use a database to manage my ebooks, they use a normal File Manager to select the ebook files. I can, of course, use the search functions to get lists of books that match the search criteria, and select books from those lists.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:40 PM   #4
LinuxArie
Connoisseur
LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Clara HD. FBreader on Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro, Nokia 3.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You cannot use it at all without registering.
That's not correct. With the Kobo Touch you don't need to register, just press "skip".
If you don't register you don't get firmware updates and you can't use the internet browser
LinuxArie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't need to "fake" registering it. Just know that once I do then I have to DL ADE to my PC & all that mess. At Least that's what happened when I registered the Litteriti.

IF I can Side load ebooks with out the ADE that's what I rather do.

I wont be able to buy ebooks from Kobo anyway. No Gift cards where I live
You don't need a Cr Card to use Kobo ereaders do you?

Last edited by Barbara1955; 02-02-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Advert
Old 02-02-2016, 06:27 PM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
You only need ADE if you want to sideload books with Adobe DRM. If you only intend to sideload DRM-free books then you don't need ADE at all.

You can sideload DRM-free books by copying them to the device or by sending from Calibre via USB, or you can download them via wi-fi from a Calibre content server, dropbox account, etc. (There are some advantages to using Calibre to sideload the books via USB, as it can manipulate collections, send better cover images, etc.)

Registering the device doesn't require a credit card or any other personal information other than an email address, which can be a throw-away address if you want.

Registering the device doesn't involve ADE at all. You don't need to download ADE or create an Adobe account to register the device.

If you do choose to sideload DRM books using ADE then you will need to authorise the device with your Adobe ID, but that is a completely separate option to registering the device.

Edit: There is no need to install the Kobo desktop software on your PC either, unless you don't have a wi-fi connection, as registration/setup can be done via wi-fi from the device itself.

Last edited by GeoffR; 02-02-2016 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Kobo desktop software not needed either
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:03 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You do need ADE if you plan to read Library eBooks or buy any ePub with DRM. You can use Calibre to manage things. And with the help of Apprentice Alf and Apprentice Harper the DRM can be removed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:33 PM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Regestering is nothing. Its not worth avoiding. Set up an email address, go to the kobo website and register an accoint with that email. Done. If you do it this way there is no need to enter a credit card.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:24 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I don't need to "fake" registering it. Just know that once I do then I have to DL ADE to my PC & all that mess. At Least that's what happened when I registered the Litteriti.

I don't have a credit card or gift card at Kobo and I can get books as long as they are free.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:49 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I don't have a credit card or gift card at Kobo and I can get books as long as they are free.
Yep, and they also offer PayPal as another payment option besides CC.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:46 PM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Freebies Yep got a few of them. Read them then Deleted.

Ok then that's no problem.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:42 AM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post

When you register during set up (and you can use a 'fake' email address if you want, like josiejames@gmail.com, for example) you can skip the payment details page. I did this recently when my kobo went back to Argos as it needed to be registered to show the fault.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:44 AM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
If you think one day you might be able to buy books or even get free ones it's worth registering it to a genuine email address that you can use to get your books on.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote