Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2014, 11:55 PM   #1
yochaigal
yochaigal began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Anyone know where I can buy a replacement screen for my glo, or a dead glo?

Hello everyone! Great forum.

I somehow cracked my screen on my 11-month old Glo; the Kobo folks won't replace it
under warranty. Anyways I've been looking for a place to buy just the screen (I have the part # after taking it apart) or even a dead Kobo with a working screen. Any ideas? I can't find anything reasonable in the US (Craigslist/Amazon or eBay) and everything in China looks very sketchy so far. I can repair of myself.
I live in Boston. Thanks for any info you might have!
yochaigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:33 AM   #2
Nascarfan1972
Banned
Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo/Mini/Aura/Glo HD/Clara/Libra & Forma & Kindle PW
Yochaigal,

I think any 6" eink screen kobo screen will do. I seem to remember seeing a post last year from someone who had replaced a broken touch screen with the one from a dead kobo wifi.

I would suggest looking for any online listing for any dead kobo device.
Nascarfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2014, 03:19 AM   #3
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
If I recall correctly the Glo has a higher resolution screen(1024x768)than the earlier models like the Touch(800x600). I would guess Alibaba.com would be a good starting place as they do have several vendors offering 1024x768 displays. It would also be good if you'd post whatever part numbers you have or whatever you eventually find to make the replacement. If you can't find a vendor that'll sell you one, maybe you can get them to put you in touch with someone buying them in quantity.

Last edited by TechniSol; 02-02-2014 at 03:24 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
yochaigal

Here is what I have from taking it apart:

model #: ED060XG1
made by PVI
Old 02-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not so sure if replacing the screen is a cheap option. It would not surprise me if a brand new device is just slightly more expensive than a replacement screen. But try this:

AliExpress eink screen pvi

Or use the part number of a matching screen from the picture below and use Goolge to find the cheapest seller.

[Image exceeds posting guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-03-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
yochaigal

Thanks, looks like I found one:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origi...328265585.html
Old 02-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Looks like that'll set you back over $100, before you've even tried to put it into your Glo. If you watch for specials/coupons, you should be able to get a brand new Glo with 12 month warranty for very little more.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:39 AM   #8
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Really, for that price I think you'd be far better off buying another Glo and keeping what's left of the first one as a parts source. That price is way over the top considering what a whole reader with attendant warranty goes for...

Did you inquire if Kobo would sell you a screen? I'm sure it would void your warranty, but you're kind of past that point.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
yochaigal

Yeah, I agree it's way too expensive to justify, I might as well get an Aura HD. I did ask them if they'd sell me one, they were skirted around my question (this was all over the phone and email).
Old 02-04-2014, 10:04 PM   #10
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
From reading Sony forum, Sony would not sell only screen because calibration for replacement screen is needed to get sharpest image. Don't know if this is true for Kobo Glow screens. I have read of people swapping in screen from another used reader.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #11
TechniSol

The place you send damaged units in the USA is: Kobo c/o Ingram Micro Logistics Branch 30 - USML 3820 Micro Drive Millington, TN 38053 USA... Might be worth trying to contact them and ask about buying a replacement screen. Maybe a little Googling would find you a phone number. When dealing with large organisations, many of which employ scripting for customer service, you might get further if you can contact someone outside the normal CS loop. Luck.