Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
evil_rock
evil_rock began at the beginning.

Device: none
After 3 months, amazon has solved the screen problems in the new kp?

The first units of kp2 had a lot of problems (uneven ligth, dead pixels, yellowish or blueish screen, etc) primarily with the screen. Now, after 3 - 4 months the problems has been solved?

I live a couple of countries from any amazon's branchs so it would be a lot of trouble for me to return it if i have a problem.
evil_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I got one for Christmas and don't notice any of the problems you are describing.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
I bought a pair of PW2s in early September last year - both perfect.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:28 PM   #4
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Mine is fine. I wasn't aware there were a lot of problems.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:04 PM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'm also happy with my KP2--got it in early October. Screen is prefect.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2014, 12:58 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
This was only reported with some of the very first ones, when Amazon was rushing to fulfill a huge wave of holiday shoppers ordering Kindle Paperwhites within the first couple of weeks it was available.

And even then, they were very good about replacing the flawed ones.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:43 AM   #7
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I wasn't aware that there were any problems with the paper white 2. The first gen paper white, yes but not the 2.

My first gen had some colour hues when the light was set to high levels. My paper white 2 is flawless. The screen is evenly lit and is uniform in colour. I got my PW2 at the beginning of November.

Last edited by shanghaichica; 01-27-2014 at 05:48 AM.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:57 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There were a few reports of misaligned screens, pinholes, etc. See:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225601

On the whole, though, there seem to have been relatively few issues compared with the PW1.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:28 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I had two faulty PW2's back in September, I'm in the UK. I had a light bleed from the frame on the first one and blotchy yellow screen on number 2. I haven't bothered since.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I don't think there was ever any issues of uneven lighting with the PW2, it was really just pinholes & yellow or bluish screens, with some faulty misaligned screens or light bleed thrown in too. As to whether they have improved, certainly in the case of the latter two issues, but I still think you will find variances in the screens, as this just seems an issue with the lighted ereaders.

I bought mine two months ago, the first is pretty much perfect except for taking on a blue tinge at very low light levels in poor lighting, the replacement was quite blue at all light levels. Neither had pinholes, and I just returned the replacement and kept the first one.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Mine is perfect and I'm extremely happy with it.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #12
evil_rock
evil_rock began at the beginning.

Device: none
I recently bought my pw2 and I notice 2 pinholes. One in the middle of the screen
I begin to notice the pinhole when the light are at level 15 or more. Should I return it or is it normal?

Last edited by evil_rock; 01-27-2014 at 04:40 PM.
evil_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #13
Ginwen
Addict
Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
I got one earlier this month, and it had a pinhole--once I noticed it I couldn't unsee it so had to return it.

The new one, though, is great. Best ereader I've had.

Edit: It was a pretty high level where that showed for me, but it was the normal level I had it set to. Someone who needed less light than I do to read might not have noticed it.

Last edited by Ginwen; 02-21-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Ginwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:48 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_rock View Post
I recently bought my pw2 and I notice 2 pinholes. One in the middle of the screen
I begin to notice the pinhole when the light are at level 15 or more. Should I return it or is it normal?
Do you use the light at level 15? If not, there's no problem for you, so why worry?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:07 PM   #15
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_rock View Post
If they distract you from reading at light levels you use, exchange it for another one. But as Harry noted, if you don't use light levels that high, or if it doesn't bother you while reading, there's no reason to do an exchange.

I have two very tiny pinholes at the bottom of mine, perhaps a pixel or two above the level of the percentage finished and location numbers, towards the center of the screen. As they're never particularly bright and they're well out of the way of any text, they don't distract me. Consequently, I can't see putting myself or Amazon through the nuisance of a return for an otherwise perfect unit. But I *do* read with the light at or above 15 pretty regularly--so if I had a brighter pinhole in the middle of the screen, I'd probably have to exchange it for another device.

It's all a matter of to what degree it bothers you. Do what works best for you.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote