Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
M92 screen broken after 1 year and 4 months -what do you recommend me?

Hi all

I bought my M92 from the US store a year and 3 months ago. I did not use it as much as I wanted due to time constrains. It practically broke while it was in stand by, sitting in my briefcase.

I am now looking for options, what do you guys recommend me ?

Should I buy a new one or pay for a screen replacement?

You can see the same problem here : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...76&postcount=3
To be honest this is really frustrating, I do not see why a device would die by sitting there.
Below is a picture of what my screen looks like now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M92 broken screen.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	1,010.3 KB
ID:	106869  

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 06-10-2013 at 01:04 PM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
Inemi
Connoisseur
Inemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toys

Device: Boox i62HD
of course, no need to buy a new one. Stop buying new stuff and repair it, like old good times!
Sincerely, the hardware is the same you'll find in a new M92, so just change the screen (and maybe buy a new battery)

But if the buttons and something else is wrong, you can buy a new one. You know, the most expensive component is the screen so with little more $ you can buy a new model. But if everything is ok, don't create new trash.
cheers

Last edited by Inemi; 06-10-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Inemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
According to this video Onyx is going to launch an updated version of M92 by the end of this year. Newer version will have better processor, android and one bit special 'zero refresh' mode.
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UbaOFVcqQqg

I would advice you to repair this one.

Last edited by Feher; 06-10-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #4
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
According to this video Onyx is going to launch an updated version of M92 by the end of this year. Newer version will have better processor, android and one bit special 'zero refresh' mode.
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UbaOFVcqQqg

I would advice you to repair this one.
Rumours about the android version have been around for quite a while.
If I am not wrong I believe that Booxtor indicated that this project was either canceled or it is delayed indefinitely so ... I am not sure if I would place a bet on that one.

I will probably have to repair this one. I wonder if the price changed or it still around 150$+ shipping
If that is the case I can get a brand new one (white) for 329$+ shipping
Old 06-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Rumours about the android version have been around for quite a while.
If I am not wrong I believe that Booxtor indicated that this project was either canceled or it is delayed indefinitely so ... I am not sure if I would place a bet on that one.

I will probably have to repair this one. I wonder if the price changed or it still around 150$+ shipping
If that is the case I can get a brand new one (white) for 329$+ shipping
The Android based ereaders are actually working in the video. Take a look, they even play Angry Birds with a special fast refresh mode in eink
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampiti View Post
The Android based ereaders are actually working in the video. Take a look, they even play Angry Birds with a special fast refresh mode in eink
That is good news in the sense that the current version will become cheaper
If the take the current one as price reference and go up from there (ex the new ereader will be 500$) then that is going to be a dead project right there.
Why would I buy a surrogate when I can buy the original: a tablet !
With color screen and increased refresh rate the battery life will be decreased. Not sure if the price will be competitive for now. Look at what happened with the other colour e-ink reader (it has a subforum here) ...lots of disappointments there and a prohibitive price.
They are not saying if this new one will be 10" or less. I did not watch the video to its end ....I might be wrong here.
Anyway, bottom line ..I am not very interested. It might work for other buyers but not for me
Old 06-14-2013, 05:51 AM   #7
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
The broken screen problems are related to too much pressure in your backpack (or similar circumstances). I crashed several e-book reader screens in the past. Now I'm more careful.

Always be extra careful with your devices.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
The broken screen problems are related to too much pressure in your backpack (or similar circumstances). I crashed several e-book reader screens in the past. Now I'm more careful.

Always be extra careful with your devices.
How can that be true when it has the original cover and my bag has a special compartment for that
If you read around here people had this problem over night, the ereader was left sitting on the desk and found dead next day.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
They are not saying if this new one will be 10" or less. I did not watch the video to its end ....I might be wrong here.
They do say towards the end of the video that they will make a new large ereader. There weren't any further details though.
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Hard to say what makes the screen to break... I noticed that there is small 'slot' between screen and frame. If grain of sand gets there and user applies force on frame close to sand grain the pressure on glass screen might be enormous.... The screen may break later on, overnight, etc..

Mine M92 fell from 2 meters to the floor and the screen is OK.

It might be probably better to buy it in EU, where the warranty is 2 years.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #11
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post

It might be probably better to buy it in EU, where the warranty is 2 years.
Interesting.
I did not know that detail.

If I buy a second one and that one breaks then I am going to be all over internet with this ...to have such expensive devices breaking after one year is quite alarming.
I hope the lighting won;t hit twice the same place. If it does then that is more than coincindence

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 06-17-2013 at 10:10 AM.