Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
wastelander
wastelander began at the beginning.

Device: none
Just got my K5(T) possible problem - maybe?? HELP!!

Hi all

I just got my Kindle 5 Touch Wifi and have plugged it in to be charged. There is something I've noticed on it however, and i'll try to explain as best I can.

The bottom part of the screen, the ridge seems to be a little raised and makes the device look like all corners are not tightly placed into each other. It is a very small gap but I can see some white debris have already settled there. Overall, the device has gone through setup and is now charging, but this little thing is making me a little confused, it's seems to be a minor factory error - have you guys ever seen this before?

The bottom part of the ridge is slightly raised, just slightly but noticeably, is this common? I honestly expected a solid build quality.
wastelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

A photo would help us to see what you are trying to describe. It sounds like a poorly put together unit, but difficult to know without a good photo. I would call CS and see if they will replace it.

The older K3 models were glued together around the screen and occasionally one would partially come apart. I guess the same thing might be true of the K5 model too.
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
wastelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
A photo would help us to see what you are trying to describe. It sounds like a poorly put together unit, but difficult to know without a good photo. I would call CS and see if they will replace it.

The older K3 models were glued together around the screen and occasionally one would partially come apart. I guess the same thing might be true of the K5 model too.
Hi, it is pretty much how you described it, there's a very partial coming apart of the screen at the bottom. I can't get a good photo (bad lighting)

Are there any disadvantages to this other that the aesthetic one?
Old 06-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The raised edge around the screen makes room for the infrared touchscreen around the inner edge of the bezel. Because the IR filter is so dark, it makes light colored debris more visible. I have some white particles trapped between my screen and IR sensor too, and it is much more visible than trapped junk is on other kindle models. It does not wipe out either, and trying to pick it out would probably push it in farther. Just part of the "kindle touch user experience"...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
wastelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The raised edge around the screen makes room for the infrared touchscreen around the inner edge of the bezel. Because the IR filter is so dark, it makes light colored debris more visible. I have some white particles trapped between my screen and IR sensor too, and it is much more visible than trapped junk is on other kindle models. It does not wipe out either, and trying to pick it out would probably push it in farther. Just part of the "kindle touch user experience"...
Hi, with me theres a tiny gap between the IR black rim and the kindle itself, not the screen . . . is this what your saying you have, too?
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
I have a kindle touch that i have been using for 7 months now. I understand what you are saying and I dont have any such issues in my kindle... The edges are fixed properly with the backplate. No difference whatsoever. You are within your rights to ask for a replacement...

Before that you can try pressing the 2 ends together lightly to see if they come together...
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
wastelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser06 View Post
I have a kindle touch that i have been using for 7 months now. I understand what you are saying and I dont have any such issues in my kindle... The edges are fixed properly with the backplate. No difference whatsoever. You are within your rights to ask for a replacement...

Before that you can try pressing the 2 ends together lightly to see if they come together...
Hi, thanks for your reply . . . I'm considering whether returning it would be suitable as they may brush it off as a minor fault - im confused now lol
Old 06-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastelander View Post
Hi, thanks for your reply . . . I'm considering whether returning it would be suitable as they may brush it off as a minor fault - im confused now lol
If you are not happy, return it. It is not what they consider a minor fault, but what makes it a good purchase for you.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
wastelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
If you are not happy, return it. It is not what they consider a minor fault, but what makes it a good purchase for you.
Will do tomorrow - thank you all