Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 12-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #16
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeczmien View Post
Simple improve: change the default sort order. Now it is by modification time - very frustrating when you have a lot of books in directory.

I think they should add user settings (the best way) or change it to more natural by title sort order.
Jeczmien, it looks from the description that the sort order is addressed in the 2007-12-19 firmware release. Please check it out.
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:27 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would improve the V3 by adding a DRMed ebook format that is actually supported like BBeB or Mobipocket or eReader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2007, 12:25 AM   #18
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
I recall that one of the Hanlin devices was supposed to have dual screens. I spend lots of time proof reading OCR jobs. If a Hanlin ebook could show me the .jpg scan on one screen (with zooming abilities) and the text format on the other screen (with editing abilities) I'd buy one. There might need to be some slicker interface, or some easy sync with my OCR software (e.g., ABBYY FineReader 9.0.)

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:19 AM   #19
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledelectron View Post
I recall that one of the Hanlin devices was supposed to have dual screens. I spend lots of time proof reading OCR jobs. If a Hanlin ebook could show me the .jpg scan on one screen (with zooming abilities) and the text format on the other screen (with editing abilities) I'd buy one. There might need to be some slicker interface, or some easy sync with my OCR software (e.g., ABBYY FineReader 9.0.)
Jinke has a "Future Products" page (chinese), where they do show something similar to what you're after. No idea if they plan to release it or it's just a prototype.

As for the "easy sync", I totally agree - it should be like Macs & iSync - "Sync & go". However don't count on it being possible with a niche app like ABBY FineReader (never heard of that!) unless you ask the author or something.
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:09 AM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledelectron View Post

Andy
The Hanlin V2 (see the wiki) has dual screens as does the Hanlin V8 but the second screen is pretty small and intended for data entry. I think Jinke needs to offer some of these (like the V2) on the international market instead of just another me-to product like the V3. The V2t would also be a great choice as it has a full touch screen. If they also had eReader support it could make an interesting horse race. WOLF isn't much competition for Mobi or Sony.

A touch screen for data entry would be a great addition for notes and searching.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2007, 06:57 AM   #21
jeczmien
Enthusiast
jeczmien began at the beginning.

Device: none/Hanlin V3/Nokia E50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvoosten View Post
Jeczmien, it looks from the description that the sort order is addressed in the 2007-12-19 firmware release. Please check it out.
Nope.

In fact I cannot find any difference between 2007-12-07 and 2007-12-19 versions. They claims date format changes, but it looks the same for me.
jeczmien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:40 AM   #22
jeczmien
Enthusiast
jeczmien began at the beginning.

Device: none/Hanlin V3/Nokia E50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeczmien View Post
Nope.

In fact I cannot find any difference between 2007-12-07 and 2007-12-19 versions. They claims date format changes, but it looks the same for me.
OK - you are right - it HAS new sorting settings, but first time I've tried I've found new bug

It works, but you need to set it for each folder separately (and don't forget about parent folders!) - look Jinkie forum for bugreport.
jeczmien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:36 AM   #23
nairbv
Connoisseur
nairbv began at the beginning.

Device: still looking for an ebook reader device
ugh.

yeah, ... It seems that the most important software new-features (aside from whatever bugs people have been experiencing) would be DRM support and some kind of button-navigated way to search for quotes, and button navigated dictionary lookup like the cybook seems to have.

My real problem now though is their marketing/sales. I just want to buy one! I'm even here, in China. I heard some of the people trying to by cybooks from Europe had to pay a jacked up price. Likewise here. I'm being told now that the hanlin is 100$ more if I buy from within China. I'd been waiting for some money being wired (to me from my US account), I was just going to go to their factory and buy on directly when I had the money. Finally my money arrived, but I'm not going to spend an extra hundred bucks for being closer.

So now what? To get the normal advertised prices, the Europeans will have to ship Chinese devices to Europe, and I'll have to ship a European devices to China? Can anyone explain the reasoning behind this kind of "product policy?"

My impression is that jinke has a pretty good product, but they could sell a LOT more devices just with simple improvements like a navigable web page, credit card support, and a reasonable marketing strategy. I really don't think it would be so difficult for them to be competitive... but... I was really excited about the hanlin and now I'm not even going to be able to buy one.

I'm feeling pretty frustrated... after finally straightening out my bank issues after all this time... now I don't know if I'll even be able to get an ebook reader at all... I'm not sure if I'm going to have an address much longer.
nairbv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:36 AM   #24
nairbv
Connoisseur
nairbv began at the beginning.

Device: still looking for an ebook reader device
ugh... and my damn proxy is making every one of my posts re-post. ... this is an edit, ... just editing out my re-post.

Last edited by nairbv; 12-28-2007 at 10:38 AM. Reason: accidental repost.
nairbv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:05 PM   #25
Kokomo Lee
Keeps on Ticking...
Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindles, iStuff, Nexus and a partridge
Bring back the smaller touchscreen

I'm still shopping for a portable e-reader (this is my first post), and the smaller touchscreen on the V8 is highly appealing for searching, and for taking notes. I also like the idea of spinning a knob to turn a page, instead of pushing a button (much easier on my joints).

Combine these features with the Vizplex screen, and I would buy this in a heartbeat!

Sherri
Kokomo Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:08 AM   #26
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdini View Post
Jinke has a "Future Products" page (chinese), where they do show something similar to what you're after. No idea if they plan to release it or it's just a prototype.

As for the "easy sync", I totally agree - it should be like Macs & iSync - "Sync & go". However don't count on it being possible with a niche app like ABBY FineReader (never heard of that!) unless you ask the author or something.
jinkie do some awsome products if you looks at the pages in chinese (including the dual screen one), but whether you'll actually be able to buy them any time soon is very debatable. I'm in the uk and had been hoping the v9 would have been out ages ago, but as it is, we are only just able to buy v3 (and even then I've only found one European seller that is actually shipping v3). Considering how hard it is trying to buy the devices in uk, Im considering just going for the v3 . . .
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:11 AM   #27
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdini View Post
However don't count on it being possible with a niche app like ABBY FineReader (never heard of that!)
I've only tried converting a few pdfs to text with abby finereader 9, but appears absolutely awesome. Bit expensive though, and you do need a good spec pc, and even then, the conversion for even a normal 300/400 page pdf can take a while.
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote