Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
New Touch owner...question about eInk

Hi all, I just added a Touch to be buddies with my Vox.

Now here's the question regarding the screen display when the Touch is powered off.

I have the book cover still displayed upon the screen while the unit is turned off and powered down. Is this proper? Is the unit fully powered down, or is this a form of Sleep? I have never seen an image still display on any tech I own when the unit is powered off. I DO have the Touch powered off and NOT in its Sleep Mode.

So...does the e-Ink technology retain an image, and will this not 'burn' into the screen display? A little worried....

I hope this is just the norm for the Touch whilst off. Anybody?
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Yep... this is the norm for an e-Ink device. In fact, this is one of the benefits of e-Ink over many other dispaly types; no power usage to keep an image on the screen,

The only time that e-Ink screens need power is when they are changing images.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
Interesting note about e-ink
I've dismantled my Wifi and removed the battery and the screen itself still shows what was last on it.
E-ink retains the last image on it without power. Power is only apparently used in the screen to make changes and update it. Not maintain the display
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
I've heard it compared to an etch-a-sketch. The effort is getting the image there. Once the image is on the screen, it takes no effort at all to keep it there. Super cool.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
As others have stated yes that's expected behavior. Displaying the cover is an option. Those of you who choose to read Harlequins or westerns while on the transit system can now hide your guilty pleasures. <bigger smile>

At least I read one article somewhere, somewhen explaining this was one reason for ereaders popularity.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Yep... this is the norm for an e-Ink device. In fact, this is one of the benefits of e-Ink over many other dispaly types; no power usage to keep an image on the screen,

The only time that e-Ink screens need power is when they are changing images.
--------------------------------------------

Thank you Peter, then no concern for a burn in of image.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
As others have stated yes that's expected behavior. Displaying the cover is an option. Those of you who choose to read Harlequins or westerns while on the transit system can now hide your guilty pleasures. <bigger smile>

At least I read one article somewhere, somewhen explaining this was one reason for ereaders popularity.
-----------------------------

Yes, I see that you can not have a cover shown. I'm really liking this Touch, but I wish the screen had a little better contrast. I know though, that this is a personal opinion observation for all users. Not a deal breaker by any means, but would be a personal choice for a hint more. I also have settled in on having a screen refresh rate of every 3 page turns. That seems to keep the font sharp and avoid any ghosting that can show up at around 6 pages before refresh. No matter what though, truly as easy to read on the eyes as a 'pulp-in-the-hand'. I'm glad that I decided to buy one.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Now here's the question regarding the screen display when the Touch is powered off.
Remember that there is a difference in battery life between "powered off" and "sleep". Life is about four times longer with power off.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Remember that there is a difference in battery life between "powered off" and "sleep". Life is about four times longer with power off.

ltr
--------------------------------------------------------

I'm finding the minimal power usage quite amazing, in fact. I have had the touch for about a week, and with the occasional usage of the wi-fi for buying a couple of books right off of it, and some experimental browser usage, the battery icon hasn't moved from full. I even plugged into the USB, and the battery check mark showed up with no charge initiating. Man, you could use this for a full three week camping trip...whatever, and have no power issues. Wow......wow, indeed!

P.S. I don't usually use the sleep function and power right off. The mere seconds between a full start and waking from sleep, allows me that choice. Again, the battery life of this unit is amazing.....
Old 12-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader Paradice View Post
I'm really liking this Touch, but I wish the screen had a little better contrast.
Try playing with some sideloaded fonts. Just add a folder called "fonts" (note that is has to be all in lower case and leave out the quotation marks) and you can add fonts in there. Lots of different threads on the forums here (Sony had a good one if I remember) with different suggestions. Different fonts may get you the contrast you're looking for.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader Paradice View Post
--------------------------------------------------------

I'm finding the minimal power usage quite amazing, in fact. I have had the touch for about a week, and with the occasional usage of the wi-fi for buying a couple of books right off of it, and some experimental browser usage, the battery icon hasn't moved from full. I even plugged into the USB, and the battery check mark showed up with no charge initiating. Man, you could use this for a full three week camping trip...whatever, and have no power issues. Wow......wow, indeed!

P.S. I don't usually use the sleep function and power right off. The mere seconds between a full start and waking from sleep, allows me that choice. Again, the battery life of this unit is amazing.....
We are testing clearer text in the newest Beta.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Try playing with some sideloaded fonts. Just add a folder called "fonts" (note that is has to be all in lower case and leave out the quotation marks) and you can add fonts in there. Lots of different threads on the forums here (Sony had a good one if I remember) with different suggestions. Different fonts may get you the contrast you're looking for.
See
Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
This is true. The Adobe SDK allows us to specify a URL to a font file but Qt doesn't allow us to introspect a TTF/OTF for its font family/weight without difficulty.

The resolution is that fonts should end with -Bold, -BoldItalic, -Italic, or alternatively, b, i, z.
For instance, I am using a font from Google Fonts ( http://www.google.com/webfonts ) called Lora. I have the following files:
Code:
Lora-Bold.ttf
Lora-BoldItalic.ttf
Lora-Italic.ttf
Lora-Regular.ttf
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #13
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Thanks for the link Peter. Waaaayyyyy too many choices out there and this just added some more . Personally I use Ubuntu. I tried Lora and it's a really nice font, but just not dark enough for the font size I'm using.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote