Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
Find and Replace the symbol ¬

I have a bunch of old RTF files which I am gradually converting to epub,

I do most of the pre-formatting of the RTF's in Word 2010 with a whole bunch of macros and a few other manipulations by hand, I am generally very happy with my result when I finally use Calibre to convert to epub and mobi.

However, there is one symbol which is bugging me big time it is ¬

Word simply does not see it in the find and replace. I can't find anything sensible about this symbol on the web. Currently I use Notepad to find and replace it. But anyone have an idea how to get MS Word to recognise and remove it?
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
These are optional hyphens. They mark where a word should break and be hyphenated if it lands at the end of a line of text. To remove them in Word, click on "Replace", then in the "Find What" box, then either simply type "^-" or click on "More>>>" then "Special" and select "Optional Hyphen". Make sure the "Replace with" box is empty, and click on "Replace All", and it'll get rid of all those optional hyphens.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 03:10 AM   #3
oldbwl
Zealot

I was aware of this setting and had tried it. I did it again just now, on two seperate versions of Word 2010 on 2 PC's and it will not see them., As a test I just copied the above message and pasted it in to Word did exactly as you said, both the manually typed ^- and the selection optional hyphen totally ignored the item in the text and returned a 0 item found result.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:30 AM   #4
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Hmmm... very strange! Could you create a small sample Word doc containing a sentence or two which include this symbol and attach it to a post here? I'd be happy to take a look and see if I can figure out what's happening. I'm intrigued... (If you do, could you save it as a Word 2007 doc please? That's the version of Word I have).
Old 12-30-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
oldbwl
Zealot

Ha!, you solved the problem for me without even realising. I checked and reset the comptibility settings and hey presto the problem has gone.

Thanks
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind

lol! Glad you got it sorted, oldbwl.