Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Add xml in META-INF

OK, I was trying to edit an existing epub file that has embedded fonts to make it work in the new iBooks on iPad.

The example epub I was given (when unzipped) contains a com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml file in the META-INF folder which only contains basically one line as <option name="specified-fonts">true</true>

However when I open this example epub in Sigil, there is no such thing as META-INF, and I do not see that xml file, nor the container.xml file.

When I open my own epub file that already had fonts embedded, I don't see that META-INF folder either. I was told all I have to do to make embedded fonts work is just to add that com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml file to my epub's META-INF folder, but as I cannot even see that folder in Sigil, how can I add a new xml to that folder? Any suggestions? BTW, I am using 0.3.4 if it matters. Thanks a lot.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Sylver
Addict

OK, I upgraded to version 0.4, still no luck, the online Sigil documentation I found has the following: EPUB files also must have a META-INF folder with a container.xml file pointing to the OPF file of the publication. Sigil takes care of all of this for you.

Could someone explain to me what "takes care of all" mean, does that mean I cannot add anything to the META-INF folder in Sigil? if that's the case, any application external to Sigil that I can use to add that xml file to the META-INF folder? Many thanks.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Faster
Connoisseur
Faster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS 650
If you still have the unzipped version with the XML file, try opening the epub version in Sigil then right click any folder in the left panel and select 'Add Existing Item...'.
Locate and open the XML file in question and see what happens. It may say it's already present or it may accept it.
Sorry, couldn't be more helpful, but don't have Apple - too expensive for me.
Faster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
Sylver
Addict

Thanks for the tip, it didn't work, the file was added that way but added to a wrong folder. I did figure out that I can unzip the epub and manually add the file to the right folder and then re-zip everything and rename it to epub, but iPad still does not show the embedded font. I guess it only works with English fonts, mine is Chinese font, ibooks just keeps on crashing on me.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Sigil doesn't mess with the META-INF folder. iTunes does, in contradiction to the epub standard. That's how Apple rolls.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:17 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
There are better readers than iBooks which follow the standard better. Use those instead.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote