Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #16
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBel View Post
on Mac sadly...
I had looked at that and thought, hmmm even I could manage to get that working, if only...
Trickier on a mac. Luckily my wife has a pc laptop so I can use that. When I use my mac I always convert with Calibre. Renaming the file to .zip on a mac does not work well.
Go through Calibre and 'disable font scaling' if that doesn't work just below that box is a font size option. I've changed it to a high font size. You may not be able to change font sizes on the kobo but you can change the font size that it's stuck at. I set mine to 28 in Calibre which works out to be around 'medium' on the kobo.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #17
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
I tried the "toughing it out" approach for a bit but with my eyes that was asking for trouble so I've been using the tools in another thread to "fix" the fonts on some books I've had problems with. So far so good.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #18
Jelbee
Jelbee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
The Laymans-Terms "I'm Somewhat Computer Savvy" Idiot-Proof Guide to Fixing the Font Size Issue ON A MAC

I "toughed it out" for about 15 minutes of reading a font size that was smaller than Kobo's "smallest" and I quit very quickly.
I'm computer savvy-ish, but it took me a lot of reading to really understand the process, as.. when explaining things, people take a lot of knowledge for granted-- assume that other people must understand the things that seem simple to them.

So here's my idiot-proof instructions for anyone who's a bit confused by the other threads... let me know if anything isn't painfully clear, and I'll simplify more!

Step 1:
Download "ePub Zip for Mac OSX"

Step 2:
Find your .epub file on your mac, the one you want to correct the font size issue on. Click on the file and press "enter" and change the ".epub" extension to ".zip." OSX will ask if you want to use .epub or .zip. Click ".zip."

Step 3:
Right-click (secondary click) on the file and "open with" decompression software, such as "StuffIt Expander". This will unpack or "explode" the zip file into a folder with the contents of the epub enclosed.

Step 4:
Go into the folder and find the CSS file. It will likely be called "stylesheet.css." Right-click on this file and "open with" texteditor, or another basic text editting program. Scroll down through the file and anywhere that it says "font size" simply delete that one line.
[Note: If it says "font style," leave it alone. It's merely specifying bold, or italics, and it would be a shame to delete these, and not have chapter headings be bolded.]

Step 5:
Now that the font sizing specifications are gone, save the file. File, save. [Not "save as," save it to overwrite the file you just edited.] In the finder window, back out so you can see the initial folder that the unpacked zip file made.

Step 6:
Open a finder window and locate the program you downloaded earlier, Epub Zip. There's no need to attempt to "open" the program, it's a drag and drop process.

Step 7:
With both finder windows open, click on the folder you were editting the CSS in before, and drag it over to the Epub Zip program, and drop it directly over the program name/icon. Where your folder was before, an .Epub file will appear. This is your fixed ebook. Load it to your Kobo, and your font size issue should be fixed!

Last edited by Jelbee; 06-11-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Jelbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:43 AM   #19
BBel
Enthusiast
BBel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (white cos I like it better!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelbee View Post
The Laymans-Terms "I'm Somewhat Computer Savvy" Idiot-Proof Guide to Fixing the Font Size Issue ON A MAC

Step 4:
Go into the folder and find the CSS file. It will likely be called "stylesheet.css." Right-click on this file and "open with" texteditor, or another basic text editting program. Scroll down through the file and anywhere that it says "font size" simply delete that one line.
[Note: If it says "font style," leave it alone. It's merely specifying bold, or italics, and it would be a shame to delete these, and not have chapter headings be bolded.]
!
Have been following the BRILLIANT instructions. However when I open the stylesheet.css it is all gobbledygook, it's not actual writing so I can't find anything that says font there isn't any words. Am I doing something wrong?
BBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:06 AM   #20
BBel
Enthusiast

5BX˜dø
≠ñ¶è¨¸ÇpW6N*◊Û◊çÆ,ô‰fiïÌ6AvJ“ı›@–∞8Ä{≠äÛÉVfYÎx1€q‰Ü ú@Â
ıóÛ¢Ù߶™K‚蜀¡•œ∞'1Ögm|∞dQ_Jı4õd’≠È*oØpÊȬΥ

This is what my stylesheet looked like

Last edited by BBel; 06-14-2010 at 05:11 AM. Reason: This is what my style sheet looked like
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 07:26 AM   #21
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Your eBook is DRM protected. Your options are:
a) Remove DRM and then follow the instructions
b) Just delete the stylesheet
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:35 AM   #22
BBel
Enthusiast

Should have guessed that really!! Thanks
Old 06-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #23
Jelbee

If you can, remove the DRM rather than just deleting the stylesheet, since the stylesheet often dictates things like... italicized sections of the text, or bolded chapter headings; general formatting.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #24
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Isn't Steven Harper about to make removing the DRM a big time crime?
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #25
Jelbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post
Mr Harper can drop by my place and try to read from the 4 pt font size ebooks we're dealing with.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #26
Bureaucromancer
Enthusiast
Bureaucromancer began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post
Key word there is about.

Don't know about you, but I'm protesting this to just about everyone with a mailing address in Ottawa. In the meantime I will not feel the least bit guilty removing any DRM, seeing as this is NOT a violation of anyone's copyright in itself.

Okay, rant over, and my apologies for the distraction.
Bureaucromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #27
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucromancer View Post
Don't know about you, but I'm protesting this to just about everyone with a mailing address in Ottawa. In the meantime I will not feel the least bit guilty removing any DRM, seeing as this is NOT a violation of anyone's copyright in itself.

Okay, rant over, and my apologies for the distraction.
Bah, the font size issue has been hashed to death, your rant interests me more

Check this out:
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5109/125/

Apparently, the government it just sending staple form letters as responses to any C-32 related letters. I already got mine from my useless MP.

Quite frankly, I find this staple letter more insulting than just being completely ignored by the CRTC during the public consultation recently (what a sham that was eh??).

Keep sending your letters though guys, they might not really listen to them, but they can't COMPLETELY ignore them either.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #28
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

How do you remove DRM?
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #29
Loss Stop
Enthusiast
Loss Stop is on a distinguished road

Device: kobo 1, prs 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelbee View Post

I "toughed it out" for about 15 minutes of reading a font size that was smaller than Kobo's "smallest" and I quit very quickly.
I'm computer savvy-ish, but it took me a lot of reading to really understand the process, as.. when explaining things, people take a lot of knowledge for granted-- assume that other people must understand the things that seem simple to them.

So here's my idiot-proof instructions for anyone who's a bit confused by the other threads... let me know if anything isn't painfully clear, and I'll simplify more!

Step 1:
Download "ePub Zip for Mac OSX"

Step 2:
Find your .epub file on your mac, the one you want to correct the font size issue on. Click on the file and press "enter" and change the ".epub" extension to ".zip." OSX will ask if you want to use .epub or .zip. Click ".zip."

Step 3:
Right-click (secondary click) on the file and "open with" decompression software, such as "StuffIt Expander". This will unpack or "explode" the zip file into a folder with the contents of the epub enclosed.

Step 4:

Step 5:
Now that the font sizing specifications are gone, save the file. File, save. [Not "save as," save it to overwrite the file you just edited.] In the finder window, back out so you can see the initial folder that the unpacked zip file made.

Step 6:
Open a finder window and locate the program you downloaded earlier, Epub Zip. There's no need to attempt to "open" the program, it's a drag and drop process.

Step 7:
With both finder windows open, click on the folder you were editting the CSS in before, and drag it over to the Epub Zip program, and drop it directly over the program name/icon. Where your folder was before, an .Epub file will appear. This is your fixed ebook. Load it to your Kobo, and your font size issue should be fixed!
Or open the epub in Sigl for mac, then edit out the font-size lines in the css file, then save the changes. I am sure this would work as well on windows. Not sure if this has been covered already or not, my apologies if it has.

Last edited by Loss Stop; 06-15-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Loss Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:58 AM   #30
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBel View Post
on Mac sadly...
I had looked at that and thought, hmmm even I could manage to get that working, if only...
There is a mac version of the epub fixer app now
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote