Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
netarc
netarc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-300
Can standard USB AC charger be used with Sony Reader?

Wondering if a typical USB wall wart (e.g., as with the iPhone) can be safely used to charge a Sony eReader, using the eReader USB to miniUSB cable? Anyone tried this yet?
netarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
monkeyboy20
monkeyboy20 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505, sony 600, sony 900, iPad 32Gb wifi (soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by netarc View Post
Wondering if a typical USB wall wart (e.g., as with the iPhone) can be safely used to charge a Sony eReader, using the eReader USB to miniUSB cable? Anyone tried this yet?

I've tried using my iphone wall charger with the cable that came with my 600, but it doesn't seem to charge the reader even though the reader's screen is telling me it's connected to the USB cable.
monkeyboy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
netarc

rats - thanks for the info, though!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
From everything that I have read, you can not use the AC usb charger for this. The AC port is the same used for Sony's PSP units though. You can find many inexpensive PSP chargers that will work for this unit, instead of the more expensive one that Sony has.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:32 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
No, it cannot. It will only charge from a computer's USB port. If you use a wall charger, it has to plug in to the circular charger socket on the Reader, not the mini USB connector.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
joewandy
Enthusiast
joewandy began at the beginning.

I second the PSP charger. Works well with my 505, and it's cheap too.
joewandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
justanut
eBookworm
justanut began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300, HTC Hero, iPhone
It only charges from the USB port if it recognises a computer on the other end... so those AC plugs that allow you to plug in USB cables won't work with the reader. Or so I read SOMEWHERE.

Using PSP charger as well, no problems. Eh... only charged it once so far so...
justanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
netarc

taht's weak ... sigh. Ah, well, guess I'll troll ebay or craiglist for a PSP charger ... I'm guessing the PRS-300 has the same charging port as the older 505s, etc?
Old 01-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
taht's weak ... sigh. Ah, well, guess I'll troll ebay or craiglist for a PSP charger ... I'm guessing the PRS-300 has the same charging port as the older 505s, etc?
Yes, the 303 has the same charging prot ad the older 505 and 500 and 600 and 700. If you live in the U.S. and are near a GameStop retail store, you can probably pick up a used one for around $7.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #10
netarc

great, thank you!