Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Battery charge cycles

How many charge cycles can the PRS-505 take before giving up the ghost? I prefer to let my reader sleep instead of turning it completely off. But, of course, I have to charge it more often, still not a lot though. I'm just wondering if there was a finite number of charges that the battery can take before degrading.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Like any LI-Ion battery, the more care you take, the better off you will be. Li-I batteries don't like heat and they tend to like to be "topped off'. These are best practices...that being said, if you let your reader deplete the battery before charging, you are not going to ruin it either. Once the battery "decides" it's had it, you'll need a new one...there's not a lot of warning. My recommendation is to enjoy the reader and not worry too much about the battery. Good reading!
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
spec2
Enthusiast
spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
Like any LI-Ion battery, the more care you take, the better off you will be. Li-I batteries don't like heat and they tend to like to be "topped off'. These are best practices...that being said, if you let your reader deplete the battery before charging, you are not going to ruin it either. Once the battery "decides" it's had it, you'll need a new one...there's not a lot of warning. My recommendation is to enjoy the reader and not worry too much about the battery. Good reading!
+1, especially the part about just enjoying the reader. The battery will need to be replaced in a couple years whether you use it or not.
spec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec2 View Post
The battery will need to be replaced in a couple years whether you use it or not.
It shouldn't be quite that bad. After two years, I'd expect a decent Lithium Ion Polymer battery to retain about 70% of its original capacity.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
The reason I asked is because I had a -500 before my 505 and after 2.5 years there was a definite decrease in battery capacity. I was needing to charge it every couple of days.

I was going to take advantage of Sony's upgrade program but I ended up selling it on Ebay for $150 and getting a new 505 for less than $200 after the holiday Microsoft Cashback offer of 25% refund.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert