Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 01:56 AM   #16
eXistenZ
Connoisseur
eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo GLO
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineStewart View Post
...I like total book page count and would rather it be accurate per page turn not characters per page. I wonder if there is another work around? Not a big deal but would be nice.
Thin not make sense, if 1 page=1 screen then changing font size or line height or margins changes the amount of text in a screen/page and of course this also changes the total pages number on the same ebook which can be 100, 200 or XXX pages depending on the reader model and settings, this makes page number totally useless as reference. Also the question "how many pages is long this ebook?" would be impossible to be replied precisely.

On the other and a fixed 1000 characters=1 page makes the page number a useful, stable reference, whatever are the settings you are using to read.

Last edited by eXistenZ; 02-21-2013 at 02:01 AM.
eXistenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #17
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
It makes perfect sense to me. I don't need page numbers for any referencing other than to tell me how many more pages *I* have left to read at my font size settings. Don't really care how many pages "the book" has but for me I'd like to know how many page turns I have left. But that's just me.
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineStewart View Post
It makes perfect sense to me. I don't need page numbers for any referencing other than to tell me how many more pages *I* have left to read at my font size settings. Don't really care how many pages "the book" has but for me I'd like to know how many page turns I have left. But that's just me.
And given that even in print books, the page number vary all over the place -- hard cover, paperback, large print, 1st, 2nd, however many editions-- they are useless for most purposes anyways. "Sir, page 427 in my copy of Whosit and Whatsit's Introduction to Chordate Anatomy does not mention notochords" as a real life example from a few years back.

Generally, I just use the % read as my guide to how much is left in an ebook.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #19
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
Thin not make sense, if 1 page=1 screen then changing font size or line height or margins changes the amount of text in a screen/page and of course this also changes the total pages number on the same ebook which can be 100, 200 or XXX pages depending on the reader model and settings, this makes page number totally useless as reference. Also the question "how many pages is long this ebook?" would be impossible to be replied precisely.
... you could answer the question: how many screens remain? ... which is precisely what some people want to know. And, unless you change font and margin settings significantly per book, the number of screens should give you a pretty good idea about how long a book is.

Displaying the number of screens would also be similar to the common practice of (non scientific) printed books where editions/versions are typically not identical regarding page counts.
And for some people the cognitive dissonance between page (screen) turns and displayed page numbers is somewhat disturbing/annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
On the other and a fixed 1000 characters=1 page makes the page number a useful, stable reference, whatever are the settings you are using to read.
The actual ADE standard as used by KOBO is not as informative/stable as it seems at first glance as a reference since it is referring to the number of bytes in the compressed epub source file rather than to a count of displayed characters. Thus reformatting an epub might change this page count to some degree and the 'fixed' reference is only fixed with regards to one (unaltered) version of an epub. How many characters you will actually see on a displayed 'page' actually depends significantly on the formatting style implemented when the epub was created.
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
The actual ADE standard as used by KOBO is not as informative/stable as it seems at first glance as a reference since it is referring to the number of bytes in the compressed epub source file rather than to a count of displayed characters. Thus reformatting an epub might change this page count to some degree and the 'fixed' reference is only fixed with regards to one (unaltered) version of an epub. How many characters you will actually see on a displayed 'page' actually depends significantly on the formatting style implemented when the epub was created.
I've played with reformatting an epub and changes in font size, line spacing and margins using a stylesheet don't seem to have much of an effect on the page numbers displayed. Recompressing the epub using an external archiver does have an effect as does changing the contents of the chapter files to modify the styles.

Still, I generally keep the page numbers in right margin turned off as I find them pretty useless.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #21
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
... you could answer the question: how many screens remain?
I think a lot of money could be made by whoever gets that algorithm right.
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #22
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post
I think a lot of money could be made by whoever gets that algorithm right.
showing the number of screens based on current settings? this is quite a common feature. take a look at any word processing software. some e readers too already can do it (including open source os like e. g. open ink pod....)
Old 02-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #23
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If only it was that simple. Remember, that in order to do that, the eBook reader would have to process the entire book using the current settings, decompressing each and every compressed element in the book, running it through the rendering engine, and then, whenever a change was made in the formatting selected by the user (different font, different size, margin changes) this whole process would have to be repeated.

The current approach while not precise is quick and easy to compute in that all that is needed is access to the directory of the ePub file.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #24
guma
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
If only it was that simple. Remember, that in order to do that, the eBook reader would have to process the entire book using the current settings, decompressing each and every compressed element in the book, running it through the rendering engine, and then, whenever a change was made in the formatting selected by the user (different font, different size, margin changes) this whole process would have to be repeated.
If my old bebook one reader running an open source operating system (open inkpod) could do it perfectly fine (recomputing the page count after setting changes was fairly fast) I can't see any reason why current devices with their much faster processors should not be able to.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #25
guma
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've played with reformatting an epub and changes in font size, line spacing and margins using a stylesheet don't seem to have much of an effect on the page numbers displayed. Recompressing the epub using an external archiver does have an effect as does changing the contents of the chapter files to modify the styles.
I would argue that even small differences somehow invalidate the 'fixed reference' argument. What's the use of a 'not really fixed but probably pretty close' (pseudo-) page reference?
Additionally, from my experience, the html formatting styles used in books from different sources make a rather significant difference (+/- 30%) with regards to the amount of actually displayed characters per ADE 'page'. This weakens the argument that these page counts can be used to compare the length of books.

Thus the ADE page convention looks, to me, like a rather weak standard that is anyway restricted to a specific file format and used on a small number of devices.

... and I personally do not like it anyway since I prefer my e-reader to simulate paper books as close as possible and expect the page number to increase whenever I 'turn a page' :-)

Last edited by guma; 02-21-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #26
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
No offense intended to anyone's desires, but it seems there is no really proper way to do this without things getting rather involved, as has been pointed out by others. Further, there is no true reference as to what is correct, as published editions have differing page numbers depending on format, type style and font size.

All that said, an option to display a new page number for each page worth of type displayed may not be the worst option(I get how it can be disconcerting to flip the page several times and still be on the same page number according to the reader), but it further confuses annotations, etc which would still have to be based on a type size independent format to maintain the location. Maybe it'd be less efficient, but if they counted annotation locations based on how many words they are into a chapter, they'd only have to store chapter number plus chapter word count? Could get rather wasteful depending on how long a chapter might be and vary from work to work. My guess is that's why they went with a likely arbitrary, but easy to work with number for computers like 1024.

I suppose some standard must exist, and frankly it is little enough to stand a page number not changing through a few screens of text in order to be able to cart a library that I can read in conditions varying from full sunlight to complete darkness around in my pocket!

Now if they'd just make it as handy in terms of being a virtual moleskin notebook... preferably one that downloads into a word processor, publishing program, CAD and schematic package and cleans my lines up at the same time. Spellchecker, grammar, and CAD that knows what I want rather than what I told it to do.

Last edited by TechniSol; 02-21-2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: auto-mistake felt it needed to be helpful!
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
No offense intended to anyone's desires, but it seems there is no really proper way to do this without things getting rather involved, as has been pointed out by others. Further, there is no true reference as to what is correct, as published editions have differing page numbers depending on format, type style and font size.
And that's why I am reasonably happy with percentage read plus an idea of how big.
Quote:
All that said, an option to display a new page number for each page worth of type displayed may not be the worst option(I get how it can be disconcerting to flip the page several times and still be on the same page number according to the reader), but it further confuses annotations, etc which would still have to be based on a type size independent format to maintain the location. Maybe it'd be less efficient, but if they counted annotation locations based on how many words they are into a chapter, they'd only have to store chapter number plus chapter word count? Could get rather wasteful depending on how long a chapter might be and vary from work to work. My guess is that's why they went with a likely arbitrary, but easy to work with number for computers like 1024.
You almost got the annotations right. They are stored as walk of the tags. The annotation position is unrelated to the page numbers. Effectively, it is a count of how many paragraphs from the beginning of the file and then the number of characters within the paragraph. The complication to it is because of nested tags and non-paragraph tags. Plus if the chapter doesn't start at the beginning of a file.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #28
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Percentage read is probably the best way to go, but for many I suspect it is so "unbooklike" as to offend a significant segment. Personally, other than being able to refer back to something I'd just be happy with what chapter I'm in most of the time.

Didn't think I was even close as to the particulars of annotation math, I was just pointing out a possible method and that it had to be independent of font size and page constraints. So you're saying that annotations must also track which files they refer to or be stored as part of the files, as well as how many paragraphs and words in from the top of file they are. Reasonable enough.

I think some people are going to have to get used to the idea that every little feature they'd prefer is not necessarily model-able, or may just be too big a resource hog or take to long to execute while people are waiting. Granted there may be a way to beat most constraints if the engineer is willing/able to put enough brainsweat into doing it, but not always and you always have to trade one thing off for another -it's the main difference between dreaming and engineering...
Old 02-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Percentage read is probably the best way to go, but for many I suspect it is so "unbooklike" as to offend a significant segment. Personally, other than being able to refer back to something I'd just be happy with what chapter I'm in most of the time.
"Unbooklike" is correct. I only realised I had sort of converted to percentage during one of the recent discussions on this. The Kobo readers show it enough that it eventually takes hold.
Quote:
Didn't think I was even close as to the particulars of annotation math, I was just pointing out a possible method and that it had to be independent of font size and page constraints. So you're saying that annotations must also track which files they refer to or be stored as part of the files, as well as how many paragraphs and words in from the top of file they are. Reasonable enough.
That's about it. The annotations are stored outside the books. For epubs it is in the database and a separate file that ADE creates. An example is "OEBPS/Text/chapter015.html#point(/1/4/2/2/2/1:0)". Not a great example as it points to the start of the chapter and it is actually the current reading rather than a bookmark. This format is ADE's. EPUB 3 CFI spec is similar. The calibre viewer uses a method that is similar to epub3.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #30
TechniSol

Makes me think life would be much simpler all around if each chapter of the book was always it's own file and had only one chapter heading and contents. Sigil seems to excel at that model and it makes the most sense for anyone using it. It'd be nice if the ereader manufacturers managed to include code to clean up ratty epubs, but frankly why do anything to encourage people not to buy nicely formatted books from their stores? Can't really blame them for that.